+ Post New Thread
Graphics Requests Thread, Desktop Wallpaper Designs in EduGeek Graphics; Hey guys, I really want to re-design the look of our current boring looking wallpaper that we have in school, ...

Thank Post

Desktop Wallpaper Designs

Hey guys,

I really want to re-design the look of our current boring looking wallpaper that we have in school, as you can see our wallpaper is literally the school logo. I can't exactly remember what my old school or my university had as wallpapers but it would be cool if people could post their desktops that the kids see when they log in.

Desktop Wallpaper Designs-desktop.jpg

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Desktop Wallpaper Designs-22106_big.jpgYou could tweak it to make it a little more 'Umbrella Corporation' like, nothing like a little homage to Resident Evil
    Last edited by SYNACK; 6th July 2012 at 04:07 PM.

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,350 Times in 928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ours is not very interesting either:

We use BGInfo to put user specific information on the wallpaper [Username, logon time, station logged on etc]

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Our backgrounds are set per department, normally as a scenic photo or vaguely-relevant image (e.g. gyroscope for Science, The Fighting Temeraire for Art)

Just gone through and drummed up some logon screens for Win7, though, as BGInfo won't do its thing there and it's fun to have your own screen. I was going to use an old photo of the front of school but photographs are too busy for the login screen, you can't read the Ctrl-Alt-Del messages and other related guff; I've settled on 4 vector-ish backgrounds to change seasonally instead.

Desktop Wallpaper Designs-background1024x768.jpg Desktop Wallpaper Designs-background1024x768.jpg Desktop Wallpaper Designs-background1024x768.jpg Desktop Wallpaper Designs-background1024x768.jpg

If anyone wants the 2560x1600 layered PSDs to edit and rebadge just ask.

(winter one adapted from http://simpledesktops.com/browse/des...17/snowflakes/, others with various brushes/vectors from around the web)

Thank Post
    Our are here.
    Desktop Wallpaper Designs-sharrowbg.jpgDesktop Wallpaper Designs-tne_desktop.jpg

Thank Post
    Nice stuff guys Really like blade danny's wallpapers, they look slick! I also like the idea of having different wallpapers for different departments it just would be hard to do it using group policies because we have all the students under "Students" but it's a cool idea.

Keep the desktops coming guys!!

I also like the information, notice board type thing, what do you guys think the best way to do this would be? or a really really lite app?

7. Thanks to Cemito from:

bladedanny (6th July 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cemito View Post
    Nice stuff guys Really like blade danny's wallpapers, they look slick! I also like the idea of having different wallpapers for different departments it just would be hard to do it using group policies because we have all the students under "Students" but it's a cool idea.

Keep the desktops coming guys!!

I also like the information, notice board type thing, what do you guys think the best way to do this would be? or a really really lite app?
    Departments is easy, just assign the GPO at a computer level and have it run as a logon script, so long as there isn't a competing logon script from a user GPO it will still run and apply. Tie your departmental-background-GPOs to OU if you have everything organised in a tree, or do it by security group filtering if you AD is flat with computers assigned to security groups.

Notice board type thing I'm currently intending to put on our new intranet page as everyone sees that almost every hour.

It took me a while to realise what you were talking about, though, my eyes had automatically ignored that section on @DaveP's desktop. Comic Sans MS, for shame!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    I created a intranet based around a noticeboard - all was php/mysql driven with only staff being able to submit. was fairly easy to code (essentially a table in an array outputting the results for each line). @Edu-IT used it I think although not sure if he still does.

Everybody had the intranet launched on login so they could always view the Noticeboard.

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,350 Times in 928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    ...It took me a while to realise what you were talking about, though, my eyes had automatically ignored that section on @DaveP's desktop. Comic Sans MS, for shame!
    I am aware of the lively campaign running against Comic Sans:

Link 1: ban comic sans

Link 2: BBC News - What's so wrong with Comic Sans?

You can find similar strong opinion in its favour.

I chose to use Comic Sans because I wanted a font that was [hopefully] both readable and acceptable to a wide range of age groups. My feelings toward most fonts is neutral [however I do like Times New Roman (call me old fashioned?)]

But in the end is it really that important? It is not Wingdings and so what is displayed can be read and understood.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    I chose to use Comic Sans because I wanted a font that was [hopefully] both readable and acceptable to a wide range of age groups. My feelings toward most fonts is neutral [however I do like Times New Roman (call me old fashioned?)]

But in the end is it really that important? It is not Wingdings and so what is displayed can be read and understood.
    I attach altogether too much importance to fonts - too much web design theory back in the day - and have seen Comic Sans abused in too many inappropriate situations to ever be comfortable with it. But then I probably abuse Helvetica and its derivatives as much as some people abuse Comic Sans. Glass houses, stones, etc.

I suspect it is one of those things that is only important to people who make it important, though. If you've never learnt maxims like "Helvetica for the appearance of authority" then it probably never crosses your mind about to consider the appropriateness of the font.

[/off topic]

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We use this as a simple background

Desktop Wallpaper Designs-sidelights_1080p.jpg

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread