Windows 7 is here!
Finally the successor to vista is here (for the public that is ;) ) for all to enjoy. I have been personally running Windows 7 on my pc's/laptops at home since beta and I have found it to be brilliant at each stage with the RTM being rock solid for me (so far).
Here are a few guides, tips and known issues I have heard about below. Please post any links you find useful yourselves and I will edit this post and be adding more as the day progresses.
EduGeek Windows 7 Stuff:
Using Windows 7:
Enterprise Related Windows 7:
- Deploying Windows® 7, Essential Guidance from the Windows 7 Resource Kit and TechNet Magazine (free eBook) - Microsoft.com
- What's New in Group Policy - technet.microsoft.com
- Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack 2009 R2 is avalible - blogs.msdn.com
- Group Policy Settings Reference Spreadsheets for Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7 - Microsoft.com
- Enterprise Search in Windows 7 guide - Microsoft.com
- Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Networking Enhancements for Enterprises - Microsoft.com
- Windows XP Mode for Windows 7 guide - Microsoft.com
- Free 1 year anti-virus subscriptions for your Windows 7 PC - Neowin.net
- Sky Player in Windows 7 Media Center - Neowin.net
- Windows 7 has beaten boy wizard Harry Potter to become the biggest pre-order product of all time in the UK - Tgdaily.com
- Microsoft releases 4 new Windows 7 commercials - Neowin.net
the sky thing looks really good. wonder about the licencing on there? ie can you use one account on multiple computers/xboxs.
i have been using windows 7 since beta and love it. wish i wasnt on cc3 here and could have it at work.
Got my hard copy of Windows 7 in the post yesterday! :)
Seeing as it's like 2008 R2, 7 really isn't very exciting. It not quite as annoying as Vista, but it's certainly no leap forward like 95, 2000 were.
I'm sure we will all have fun trying to control the Library feature with group policy (as there aren't any).
Installed my copy of Home premium last night and i love it!
My copies are stuck in the post after PCworld had an issue with my card details “according to PCworld some card details didn't process because the server crashed." :rolleyes:
was running the beta in a VM for quite a while, then put the RC as my main OS, and jumped to RTM in september..
Must say Im liking it a lot.
Running 7 as a domain PC managed by 2003 GPOs at the moment and the library seems to be a bit of a pain so far...
Originally Posted by DMcCoy
Performance wise it's good, sometimes the new dock icon switcher feels slick and sometimes it feels really clunky so jury out on that so far for me :p
Miles better than Vista :D
I've yet to play with it properly. Talk about being on the forefront of technology. I'm such a let down!
We're sticking with NT4 here. It's the only stable OS ever. Ever. :D