+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
General EduGeek News/Announcements Thread, EduGeek, netiquett and legal consequences in EduGeek Stuff; Today I received a rather large-ish envelope form an even larger companies legal dept. The contents of that letter were ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 932 Posts
    Blog Entries

EduGeek, netiquett and legal consequences

Today I received a rather large-ish envelope form an even larger companies legal dept. The contents of that letter were page upon page of one of our members ranting about their companies products, often scattering profanity throughout their posts taken directly from our forums. The letter requested I remove them. This I have gladly done as the posts were, to be quite frank embarrassing compared to the balanced and fair views that we often use when discussing peoples products. To this end I want you all to read and digest the following points when discussing products and services between us.

1. If you must rant keep it clean. NO profanity will be tolerated.

2. Be objective. Don't slam someone's software because it runs slowly when you are tying to run it on a 400Mhz 4 MB laptop

3. Ensure you are\were using a product correctly before commenting negatively on it.

4. If you see someone ranting about a product you like then please let them know what you like about it. The RM topics are good examples of this.

5. If you dislike a product then list the reasons why. Don't just say 'Because it's c*ap'. This may be because of point 3

Running EduGeek is tough enough without having to spend half my evening deleting posts and topics for a company we like but now may take a dim view of us because of one of our members did not follow any of the points above.

Thank Post

Re: EduGeek, netiquett and legal consequences

I'm shocked.........has this company been slated so much they have had to resort to that.

I wonder who it is........................?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts

EEK, who was the said company, can we be told?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 932 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tosca925
    I'm shocked.........has this company been slated so much they have had to resort to that.

They were only really slated by one person. This is why they complained, as it was very biased and unfair.

Thank Post

Take it this must be RM you are talking about. in that case i appollogise, as i have made some bad comments about them. If its not them, then note taken.

my appologise

I am adding this so it is very clear for people scanning the thread.

RM have not made any legal threats against us in fact quite reverse they have been highly supportive of EduGeek.net.

Russell Dyas
    EduGeek Admin

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box
    Quote Originally Posted by tosca925

They were only really slated by one person. This is why they complained, as it was very biased and unfair.
    I think this is very unfair.. Sophos had a good stable product V4 and then they decide to upgrade to a version that quite frankly is the pits to install and manage.

I have spoken to the helpdesk and they seem to think their product smells of roses..

Yet as most of us know version 6 is very frustrating and time consuming to install.. and we the ICT managers are in the front line and get the stress and abuse from the school staff . yet .. when Sophos see's that there is an issue with their product on a major ICT Technical forum.. what do they do..

No not chat to us and try and get their product better by talking to the ICT Technicians and Managers.... No... they get all heavy...

I guess I'll have to find a new AV company then..

Thank Post

I was not aware that ANY company could do this anyway? What legal rights do they have over this forum? I don't see where they get right to demand you remove it to be honest... it's like demanding that a review of their products on a review website be removed because it says bad stuff about the product...

Or am I looking at this the wrong way?

EDIT: I take it that it is sophos then? Threatening a forum filled with with their customers with legal action isn't the way I'd have chosen to handle things... I have no problems with their software, I quite like it in fact, but if it is them, I'll be seeing them in a different light in future.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I was not aware that ANY company could do this anyway? What legal rights do they have over this forum? I don't see where they get right to demand you remove it to be honest... it's like demanding that a review of their products on a review website be removed because it says bad stuff about the product...
    It's called libel, and your analogy is broken. A 'review website' would not fall foul of this because they would justify why they came to such a conclusion. 'Justification' is a valid defence in libel cases under English law.

Thank Post

It is not slander or Libel is a a person expresses his own opinion...

And that was the opinion expressed by someone because he thinks that a product is pants.

It should say at the bottom of the board that the opinions expressed in this forum are not the opinions of the owners...

Standard practice..
    Oh dear Geoff... wonder how Top Gear is not being taken to court every week for Libel as they slag off those cars far worse than anything on this board

Thank Post

I believe any company would be well covered under libel law. The same goes for criticising a work colleague.

Anything you write down here (or any other forum) you have to be prepared to back up in court.

(Just like writing somebody a bad job reference.)

I'm no expert on these things but I beleive you can also get done for repeating somebody elses comments. (See BBC vs Labour)

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff
    It's called libel, and your analogy is broken. A 'review website' would not fall foul of this because they would justify why they came to such a conclusion. 'Justification' is a valid defence in libel cases under English law.
    That's true. However I still don't think their actions are morally correct and I also don't believe whichever company it is has done themselves any favours. As Grommit said, actually discussing the threads with their customers and trying to figure out why their products got such bad "reviews" as opposed to purely focusing on their image would have gotten them much more kudos.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

It is not slander or Libel is a a person expresses his own opinion...
    Ok, let me get my Osboure big book of English civil law out..

English law allows actions for libel to be brought in the High Court for any published statements which are alleged to defame a named or identifiable individual or individuals in a manner which causes them loss in their trade or profession, or causes a reasonable person to think worse of him, her or them.
    So given the audience of these forums, I'd expect 'loss of trade' to apply don't you think? And before you pull the 'it doesn't count because it's on the internet' Ace out your sleeve, have a look at Keith Smith v Williams.

And that was the opinion expressed by someone because he thinks that a product is pants.
    This isn't sufficient legally. One must be able to prove that the statement is true ('Justification' as I mentioned before), or that it is a view that any reasonable person could hold ('Fair Comment'). There's a third one too ('Privilege'), but it doesn't really apply to this sort of situation.

Also be aware the normal 'innocent until proven guilty' state is reversed for libel cases. It's up to the defendant to disprove the libel allegation rather than the other way round.

It should say at the bottom of the board that the opinions expressed in this forum are not the opinions of the owners
    It does (sort of), and this doesn't legally matter anyway.

Thank Post

You're not an ICT technician you're a lawyer!!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Joedetic
    You're not an ICT technician you're a lawyer!!
    Come on, we all know Geoff isn't a technician. He is a bot with a knowledgebase 15 times the size of wikipedia .

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

lol

Wasn't RM the funny thing is RM is one company that works very hard to be involved in EduGeek.

The fact is be it law or not law we haven't massive funds to fight this kind of thing. We can most of time deal with these issues with out someone getting there legal department involved.

Russell

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast