+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
General EduGeek News/Announcements Thread, EduGeek, netiquett and legal consequences in EduGeek Stuff; Matt. I am going to PM you later. The things they found which you said about their products went way ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,254 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: EduGeek, netiquett and legal consequences

Matt. I am going to PM you later. The things they found which you said about their products went way beyond fair comment. Most of them included severe profanity and unfounded and speculative comment. Half of them look as if they were written under the influence of a severe rage, alcohol or drugs. I have copies of all of them and TBH they could take you to the cleaners over them.
    If you like I could reproduce the most juicy segments of them here for all to see. My guess would be 99% of forum members would find them as childish as I did. As you can guess, I am very, very angry over this.

P.S. One of my faves was the topic title 'XXXX The crappiest AV in the world' and then simply did not back it up.

Or how about XXXX is s**t?

They were the better ones.

Thank Post

Mind you, to be fair... XXXX is s**t. Frankly I find virtually any ale or bitter to be far superior

*drum riff* , exeunt stage left, waggling bowler hat. Der der der deeer der der der der deeern !

Thank Post

Post them up protecting the names of the innocent, it would be interesting to see what all the fuss is about.

'XXXX The crappiest AV in the world is an opinion and I would personally see nothing wrong with an opinion expressed in that way.

I may think that parsnips are the crappiest veg in the world, others disagree why should I need to justify my opinion?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by NickJones
    I think that a number of people are missing the point here - the issue is not one of freedom of speech, censorship or companies getting upset when people say bad things about them; it is one of justification.

The issue is posts which read simply "product x is pants, don't buy it". Posts which say something like "product x is pants because it requires local admin rights" or "product x is pants because it requires huge amounts of engineer time" are acceptable, and I very much doubt that the company in question are objecting to supported remarks such as those.

I agree with many of you - if a product is rubbish, then this is a good place to say that, so long as we explain why. Companies cannot complain about loss of revenue coming from accurate yet critical reviews, but they can (and have) complained about unsupported - note I say unsupported, not unfounded - criticism.

Whilst I think your correct in one respect there is something that seems to me as being overlooked in this discussion.

A post that is within a thread that clearly already states, several times and by several different contributers, reasons for negative comments and critisiams, would have to be taken into context as a contribution to that thread. Therefore a simple sentence like " X is is pants don't buy it" would actually seem ( again to me ) to be justified as the posters summing up of the critisims already expressed.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Disease
    Post them up protecting the names of the innocent, it would be interesting to see what all the fuss is about.

'XXXX The crappiest AV in the world is an opinion and I would personally see nothing wrong with an opinion expressed in that way.

I may think that parsnips are the crappiest veg in the world, others disagree why should I need to justify my opinion?
    I am a parsnip. I am going to sue for breach of vegatable rights because you did not back it up with evidence.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

You don't until a parsnip farmer threatens to sue you in court for libel.

Thank Post

He would lose though as Parsnips are crap and thats a matter of fact.

Thank Post

This thread is taking quite an interesting change of topic... how on earth did we get to parsnips and parsnip farmers?

Thank Post

Lord only knows, but I can see the biscuit tin coming out soon

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 625 Posts

Half of them look as if they were written under the influence of a severe rage, alcohol or drugs.
    At least I had a good time writing them then !!
    But like I said before Chris, after those comments was when I received the phone call from Sophos and the new threads of the feedback were created & I agreed with XXXX to E-mail them the findings which I did.
    Since then I may have made a few off the cuff remarks but nothing as bad as I did orignally - [ maybe I had run out of booze and drugs ]
    Like I have said in my E-mails to you and on the forum - I would not like to see a forum such as this in this sort of trouble as its a valuable resource for many schools and ICT Techs up and down the country. I won't comment on this forum about XXXX or their products any more.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box
    Half of them look as if they were written under the influence of a severe rage, alcohol or drugs.
    Is that slander or libel?

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff
    English law allows actions for libel to be brought in the High Court for any published statements which are alleged to defame a named or identifiable individual or individuals in a manner which causes them loss in their trade or profession, or causes a reasonable person to think worse of him, her or them.
    If anybody is going to be swayed by biased / unbacked up findings then they are not a "reasonable person" and shouldnt be in IT.

That being said, if there are problems with a product, give reasons. I would automatically see rants not backed up as coming from a competitor, or somebody with a vested interest.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

It is deeply ironic that a company threatens legal action about unsubstantiated ramblings, but are quite happy if we justify how sh*t their products are.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,254 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd
    It is deeply ironic that a company threatens legal action about unsubstantiated ramblings, but are quite happy if we justify how sh*t their products are.
    Its called feedback. Its how they improve their products. All companies sometimes make a duff product.

Thank Post

So justification is the fine line between acceptable "feedback" and what can be considered libellous.

Thank Post

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread