+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
General EduGeek News/Announcements Thread, EduGeek, netiquett and legal consequences in EduGeek Stuff; I only sent their development team one E-mail, and that was the one which out lined the postings from the ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,067 Times in 624 Posts

Re: EduGeek, netiquett and legal consequences

I only sent their development team one E-mail, and that was the one which out lined the postings from the thread - ' Sophos Feedback Required '

http://www.edugeek.net/index.php?nam...ewtopic&t=6957

Thats why I am somewhat surprised at their tatics now - something which I let Dos_Box know last night.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,624 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jake
    As I say, I see where you are coming from, I just dont like that society is that way. If I want to say/write something is pants without having to justify myself, then I should be able to.
    But what would be the point on this forum, Jake, when the whole idea is to find out from other techies about good and bad kit, and especially the reasons why stuff is good or bad, so that you can decide if it would work or not on your own network.
    If you don't like something because it is mauve, or something like that, why not say so and then we will know not to take any notice!!

You can say anything you like as long as you do it professionally and with sufficient reason. I would hate to think that Edugeek could be reduced to a 'chat' forum without any technical stuff - that is why I, and most of us are here after all.
    I think as long as we avoid profanity, and continue to offer firm justification for our opinions, we won't have a problem

Thank Post

Hi

I personally think the new Sophos is rubbish.. Why

Is hard to install
    Many Installations fail
    It's hard to manage
    When you install it on a local PC and add it to the domain,, you then have to go into Sophos and add the PC to the group (why?)
    Why is every old PC that is no longer on the Network listed is Sophos

The simplicity of V4 installation has gone and you now have this monster that you have to keep on monitoring..

My points...

Now is that libellous?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Well, that's for a court to decide. However you've provided justification for your point of view. So IMHO no.

Thank Post

Re: EduGeek, netiquette and legal consequences

Quote Originally Posted by bishopsgarthstockton
    Back in the day, when we first purchased Sophos, it was a reasonable price, for us. But then they have hiked the price up. The management software for the server never worked properly, and despite call after call to technical support we never got any were with it. In the end we switched to another anti virus company eset to use there product Nod 32.

At the end of the day, we need to use software that we feel we can use and sleep at night not worrying about weather it is updating/working as it should.

I think sophos should take our comments on board and try to work with there clients.

is that constructive enough?
    I completely concur....
    Sophos hiked the price on us in 2005 so I trialled 3 other solutions at around the same price. My concerns with Sophos were the poor management console and the CPU activity on clients. The decision was made for me when I removed Sophos from a test room and installed Panda - it immediately found up to 50 threats on most of the computers which Sophos had not reported for some reason. I have used Panda since and have found it much easier to use and more effective although not perfect on the administration side. They price matched Sophos too, which was a large discount on thier normal prices.
    Hopefully someone might gain from my experience and find the information useful - that is why I post it.

I think it will be to the detriment of the forum if people don't post their experiences of different technologies and suppliers. The main thing I have gained from using this place is information from the experience of others in similar roles. The sharing of that experience is priceless when it stops you making costly or time consuming mistakes. We all have limited budgets and staffing to work with, and yet most of us see our jobs as somewhat of a service to education in this country. It's all about the kids really... and that's where we differ from the majority of suppliers we deal with, who, like most companies are purely motivated by profit. Learning to deal with them and provide our schools with the best kit at the lowest possible cost is just part of the job and the edugeek community makes that easier for me for which I thank all the sensible members - keep on posting!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by WITCH
    But what would be the point on this forum, Jake, when the whole idea is to find out from other techies about good and bad kit, and especially the reasons why stuff is good or bad, so that you can decide if it would work or not on your own network.
    If you don't like something because it is mauve, or something like that, why not say so and then we will know not to take any notice!!
    To be honest, I never judge something by what other people say, so it wouldnt matter to me. I judge things for myself rather than by what a reviewer says (be it a book/movie/game/product). Most software companies these days offer trials, I use those trials to try the stuff for myself rather than make a purchase decision based on a review. All the more so when it comes to work related stuff as every network is different and what works great on one persons setup might not necessarily work great on anothers.

I tend to use this forum as light entertainment during the working day, and on occasion for problem solving, rather than as a review/opinion base for potential products.

However you are right in one aspect though, I suspect I use this forum much more as a "chat" forum than anything else, especially given the ridiculously light hearted non-sensical nature of the vast majority of my posts. Given that, I have , if I was honest with myself, found myself wondering if this is really the right place for me. No doubt there are a few people who just largely ignore some of my posts because of their "daft" nature To be truthful, if all I am after is a place to get some joviality and an opportunity to mess about with some likeminded folks, there probably are other forums I should be rather than messing about on here detracting from more serious issues

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,624 Posts

Ohh now, come on Jake, where would we be without you?
    And besides, if you look, we have put a new state of the art lock on your cage, so you arent going anywhere!!

Thank Post

And to think Mom always said I would never be a charmer !!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jake
    Given that, I have , if I was honest with myself, found myself wondering if this is really the right place for me. No doubt there are a few people who just largely ignore some of my posts because of their "daft" nature To be truthful, if all I am after is a place to get some joviality and an opportunity to mess about with some likeminded folks, there probably are other forums I should be rather than messing about on here detracting from more serious issues
    It'd be a very boring world, Jake, if we all had the same personality. Same goes for this forum... it'd be a very boring place to be if all that was discussed was work and more work. Who wants to discuss work when they are at home (loads of people do come onto this forum at home). So make sure you aren't a traitor and stay here! (not that WITCH is giving you much choice )

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,774 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grommit
    Hi

I personally think the new Sophos is rubbish.. Why

Is hard to install
    Many Installations fail
    It's hard to manage
    When you install it on a local PC and add it to the domain,, you then have to go into Sophos and add the PC to the group (why?)
    Why is every old PC that is no longer on the Network listed is Sophos

The simplicity of V4 installation has gone and you now have this monster that you have to keep on monitoring..

My points...

Now is that libellous?
    Good points, well articulated, clearly expressed and highlighting areas for improvement.

A very good critique if you ask me ... backed up with good evidence.

Thank Post

I thought that there was a disclaimer at the bottom of the site.......
    We are not responsible for comments posted by our users, as bitter and twisted as they may be.
    I think DB is covered! It's like in a car park, they have signs saying "Thieves operate in this car park". Well, that's not a ringing endorsement for that car park! Why don't they do something about the thieves.

No wait... a disclaimer means they don't have to!

Thank Post

http://technology.guardian.co.uk/new...737444,00.html

All libelous comments about me are welcome.... the more personal the better!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,774 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries

I once had a friend in a County legal team explain to me about disclaimers and he used the car park analogy too ...

He said that car park disclaimers are there to deter people from taking legal action. There is a difference with someone coming onto the car park which also has an entrance door that people have to agree by rules to in and an open access car park.

As soon as someone has to agree to something to get in then there is an obligation on 2 sides. The person with the key to get in agrees to do what the guidelines are and the owner agrees to take reasonable effort to stop the person with the key breaking the rules.

The equivalent from this into a car park is that we have CCTV and we know that someone has been in damaging cars but we don't take away their key or report them to the police.

The legal letter is the equivalent of someone who leaves a fleet of cars in the car park saying "respray the cars that have been keyed as I can't hire them out in this state!" It is then up to the car park owner to either do this or to take sepearate action against the person who has the key and did the damage.

In our case it is just a case of sorting a few threads and reminding people to post clear reviews or clear issues and to avoid using strong or abusive language. Other forums kick people out. Other forums will report abuse to the Poster's ISP as it can often be in breach of their T&Cs ...

We are still free to make comment about products ... nothing is stopping that.

Someone mentioned about Top Gear not getting sued. They have recently had a number of complaints about the language used to describe cars and more often than not the best reviews they do involve some damn fine breakdowns of the PROs and CONs. They also have a regulator that they have to answer too. We have each other.

Thank Post

Just to add my experience of SophosV6.

Installing it manually from each workstation works (and since that is how I work at my primaries then that bit is OK)

However, it seems to take up too much memory.

If I install it on a machine with 256MB Ram - that machine becomes very very very slow to startup and use.

If I leave V4 on the machine next to it - then that machine works satisfactorily.

Because of this, most of the machines in my schools are running without uptodate AV protection which is not good and one day may well cause me a lot of grief

regards
    Simon

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,067 Times in 624 Posts

Interesting reading the points about Sophos made by others on this thread. These were the sort of postings made in the ' Sophos Feedback Required ' thread which I E-mailed their development UK sales engineering manager - [ but heard nothing back ]

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast