+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
General EduGeek News/Announcements Thread, EduGeek, netiquett and legal consequences in EduGeek Stuff; Originally Posted by Grommit It is not slander or Libel is a a person expresses his own opinion... And that ...

Thank Post

Re: EduGeek, netiquett and legal consequences

Quote Originally Posted by Grommit
    It is not slander or Libel is a a person expresses his own opinion...

And that was the opinion expressed by someone because he thinks that a product is pants.

It should say at the bottom of the board that the opinions expressed in this forum are not the opinions of the owners...
    It may be that person's opinion, but it could still represent a libel if that opinion is untrue or cannot be substantiated.

Edugeek is not a hermetically sealed community, we're not discussing things over a beer in the pub, "just between the two of us", but for the most part we have a large audience. Now it may seem to you (not you personally, Grommit) that your opinion is worthy, but if it causes extra work for all the Edugeek staff, on top of the marvellous efforts they put in here, then think, "Can I back this up"? or am I just having a bad hair day?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by beeswax
    Quote Originally Posted by Grommit
    It is not slander or Libel is a a person expresses his own opinion...

And that was the opinion expressed by someone because he thinks that a product is pants.

It should say at the bottom of the board that the opinions expressed in this forum are not the opinions of the owners...
    It may be that person's opinion, but it could still represent a libel if that opinion is untrue or cannot be substantiated.

Edugeek is not a hermetically sealed community, we're not discussing things over a beer in the pub, "just between the two of us", but for the most part we have a large audience. Now it may seem to you (not you personally, Grommit) that your opinion is worthy, but if it causes extra work for all the Edugeek staff, on top of the marvellous efforts they put in here, then think, "Can I back this up"? or am I just having a bad hair day?
    Always put it down to bad hair day mate....

Taliking about bad hair days.. I see someone is trying to relaunch the rock band Saxon... 8O

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 626 Posts

I feel I must say something as most of this has got to do with me anyhoo.

After my rantings & VERY strong comments - Sophos actually rang me on a number of occasions, missing me a few times but then managing to get hold of me. One of their Development team spoke to me [ at length ] and it was decided that I gather up mine and other people's issues with it etc, [ see a thread in the security section ] I then mail it off to an addresse supplied - which I did - [ about 4 weeks ago ] Thing is I have not heard anything since. Is it worth sending again - after this I'm not sure.
    Oh well.

Now the last thing I want is Edugeek to get into any sort of libel / court case as it helps a great deal of schools - so I am surprised at the approach Sophos has taken. I am a firm believer in free speech and having an opinion - no matter how you express it. You only have to watch Have I Got News For You to hear things worse !!
    I disagree with Sophos's Bully Boy tactics but like I said earlier, the last thing I want to see is the owners of Edugeek get in any sort of trouble over this. Would Microsoft threaten a forum with this type of action ? Many people have things to say about their OS's etc on this forum - ok not as bad as what I have said about Sophos but things which may seem libel all the same. For them [ Sophos ] to threaten a forum which helps other people just because ONE person [ ME ] happens to rant and say nasty things about their product is a little surprising. People can make up their own minds about products I would like to think, not take on board one person's rantings who even when I read them back are OTT !! Still thats the way they have played it and whats done is done.
    I won't [ and now never will ] change my opinions on Sophos and their products & support, but for the sake of this forum I won't comment on them further.
    I hope this post makes things a little clearer.
    Anyway - thats my side

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries

I think the issue isn't one of whether or not they were libeled but a case of whether or not we, as a group, are presenting ourselves in a professional manner. Would we respect a group of people if they ranted without proper justification about something we do? Probably not. In order for us to be taken seriously as a group we need to be professional, and when we have a gripe give full details of the problem. We all feel like screaming and using the LART on the creators of some of our equipment and suppliers of services but in such a public place we have to have some amount decorum - an example, would we sit in a conference and rant in front of 2500 people about how terrible something is without full reasoning?

So, rather than us thinking about this in a legal way, we should take it on the chin and move on.

Thank Post

But you have to think that Edugeek is very successful (well I think it is) and having lots of comments saying company x is rubbish steer clear, blah blah blah, has the potential to be seen by lots of people in the business (so not even as if this is just a general forum that some random person has said something) could well see. Think of the number of "recommend me an ...." thread or even the "is ..... any good?" threads. Peoples decisions are being made based on info here.

To turn it around, would you not feel slightly aggreived if a pupil came on here or a job site specific to Edugeeks and repeatedly made general claims against someone, insinuating all sorts and even dancing around some alegation? I would think anyone would be justified in asking for the comments to be removed due to it possibly affecting your prospects and reputation.

Thank Post

Censorship at it's best, welcome to the technical discussion forum where you can discuss anything as long as it does not upset anyone, seems to be becoming a trend in life now

That said I can understand the concerns of the Edugeek staff I just get hacked off with censorship.

Thank Post

Legally libellous (is that even a word??), or not, personally I find it disgusting that a company can prevent people saying bad things about them/their products. Thats not a comment on Edugeek, its more a comment on how stupid things are in general.

I am one of those people who believe that if my opinion is that a movie, or book, or game or product is crap, I will darn well say its crap. Certainly I have said many movies and books and games are crap

However..knowing that the ridiculous laws of our land can cause problems in the regard of speaking ones mind, I just dont do it on this forum anymore. Hence why the vast majority of my posts are meaningless drivel, and usually joke posts rather than anything even vaguely serious about my career and its ups and downs.

Although its a pity that I cant really use this forum for more serious thoughts, including maybe even the occasional rant, it does however make a good forum for just pissing around on

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Blog Entries

I think you are all failing to grasp how this works. If a poster says 'Product x is ****' with no valid reasons why or expination behind their commenst then it can be considered liable (especially when mixed in with immature playground profanity).
    If, however, you say 'Product x is rubbish because of x y z' givinf a list a reasons yo think are valid then that is acceptable. Afetr all, you would not lie it id someone walked around your neighbourhood telling all and sundry that you are a junkie with zero evidence to back it up, would you?
    They are in a multi million pound (dollar, Euro etc) industry and they have a hell of a lot to loes to this kind of comment. As I've said. Keep it relevent and back up your claims with evidance, not heresay and insults.

Thank Post

Can we change the BETT fund to Get Dos_Box out of jail fund?

Thank Post

I would not have been concerned it’s just a company using scare tactics. Libel is very difficult and expensive to take to court, even if what is expressed by an individual in this forum seems to put a product or company in bad light, the company still have to prove to the court that your comments have changed the opinion of others.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box
    Running EduGeek is tough enough without having to spend half my evening deleting posts and topics for a company we like but now may take a dim view of us because of one of our members did not folow any of the poits above.
    Jake is right I think it is a shame that Edugeek has become a place where you can no longer express a true opinion for fear that we may upset some company or a sponsor of Edugeek.

As Dos Box posts in the bold highlighted section above, it is all about the companies/sponsors opinion of Edugeek, not really a forum any longer where when someone asks for advice on a product or service where you can expect to get a true free thinking opinion anymore and that is just a damn shame.

I don't blame Dosbox for it he is just protecting his investment, me personally I would have told them to stick it up their arse and prove that what my members are saying isnt true as for it to be libel the onus is on the person claiming libel to provide the proof.

Still I understand why you have felt the need to water down the forums.

Thank Post

Can we name and shame this company, and not buy their product? I hope it is sophos as i'm down to just 2 stations running it now and hope to say good bye to them soon, the pc's running it grind to a halt when they update, and they are P4 2.8's so not exactly old! Whats the point of Antivirus if it cause's more disruption that if you had a virus.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by StewartKnight
    Can we change the BETT fund to Get Dos_Box out of jail fund?
    Jake is the expert for getting out from behind bars. Still don't know how he gets out of his cage...

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Quackers
    Can we name and shame this company, and not buy their product? I hope it is sophos as i'm down to just 2 stations running it now and hope to say good bye to them soon, the pc's running it grind to a halt when they update, and they are P4 2.8's so not exactly old! Whats the point of Antivirus if it cause's more disruption that if you had a virus.
    I believe it is sophos... certain bad posts I knew were in existance about them a couple of months back are no longer there today, so I think that's evidence enough.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Disease
    ...Jake is right I think it is a shame that Edugeek has become a place where you can no longer express a true opinion for fear that we may upset some company or a sponsor of Edugeek.

As Dos Box posts in the bold highlighted section above, it is all about the companies/sponsors opinion of Edugeek, not really a forum any longer where when someone asks for advice on a product or service where you can expect to get a true free thinking opinion anymore and that is just a damn shame...
    I agree

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast