+ Post New Thread
General EduGeek News/Announcements Thread, Do you have Ruckus in your school? If so I need your feedback in EduGeek Stuff; Hi all, I've been asked to speak at the Ruckus Big Dogs conf in Marbella on the 10th June. What ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,247 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Blog Entries

Do you have Ruckus in your school? If so I need your feedback

Hi all, I've been asked to speak at the Ruckus Big Dogs conf in Marbella on the 10th June. What they have asked I speak about is how Ruckus has been deployed and used within UK schools, and in particular what issues you have faced and how did you overcame them. I will also need to know what it was you replaced with Ruckus and any feedback you may hve. The whole Ruckus management will be there including their CEO, Selina Lo, so whatever you tell me will go directly to the horses mouth. So please get in touch and we'll get your school mentioned in high places

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,322 Times in 812 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Net-Ctrl used my last for a whitepaper, and either us or Johnsschool were the first to have Ruckus in the UK (reports vary :-p )

I'm sure I can dig out the whitepaper, and you can shout if you want anything else, I'm sure they wouldn't mind chatting to you too.

Thank Post
    I'll try to get a report to you end of this week start of next.

Thank Post
    Nice gig for you Chris! we're just trialling some Ruckus kit and they're defo on the buy list

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    Net-Ctrl used my last for a whitepaper, and either us or Johnsschool were the first to have Ruckus in the UK (reports vary :-p )

I'm sure I can dig out the whitepaper, and you can shout if you want anything else, I'm sure they wouldn't mind chatting to you too.
    I was defo first , its interesting though, I had Mark up today to look at getting the current place sorted (were applying for a grant) and that place that I got it when you did hasn't done much with it yet, no expansion from what he can gather Very sad

If you need more comments just let me know I am sure I can come up with some for you, but a lot of them will be in that whitepaper as I suspect we both found the same amazing things about it being the first pair to get it

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks all. I'm especially interested in any problems you faced when rolling it out, and how you overcame them.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,014 Times in 1,463 Posts
    Blog Entries
    how long does the report need to be? Because I got it deployed in 2 schools, and each school had their quirks...

Thank Post
    I've got one 6 AP managed setup and the setting up was a doddle (even for me )

The first set of 20 netbooks worked great but the second set were a disaster see here

Eventually, the fault was found to lie with the netbooks but it shows how difficult it is to diagnose these things using the normal resources of ICT Support in primaries

Despite this, I have gone for 3 un-managed APs in another school that are purchasing 20 netbooks (on top of 20 existing laptops) as opposed to using cheaper Buffalo G54 series APs as I believe that the Ruckus APs are a much better engineered device and even in an un-managed mode, should let me have a much less dense AP deployment and save me time and effort in setting up a network.

One feature I'd like to see would be a mechanism to tell the controller to map MAC addresses to client machine names as that would assist greatly with fault diagnosing.

(unless of course its available now and I haven't worked out how to do it )

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Could you PM me the schools that you have set these up in please to save you any problems you may have in posting them in the open, as I'll need to shopw these as part of the talk.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Hi all, I've been asked to speak at the Ruckus Big Dogs conf in Marbella on the 10th June. What they have asked I speak about is how Ruckus has been deployed and used within UK schools, and in particular what issues you have faced and how did you overcame them. I will also need to know what it was you replaced with Ruckus and any feedback you may hve. The whole Ruckus management will be there including their CEO, Selina Lo, so whatever you tell me will go directly to the horses mouth. So please get in touch and we'll get your school mentioned in high places
    Sent you a PM

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread