+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
General EduGeek News/Announcements Thread, EduGeek Conf 2010- 2nd June, Chorley in EduGeek Stuff; Hi, I'm sure this has been asked before, but why is the conferance always in the north? I like to ...

Thank Post
    Hi,

I'm sure this has been asked before, but why is the conferance always in the north? I like to have it central somewhere i.e. Birmingham where everyone can get to fairly easily via trains, buses or car etc. Please before anyone says that trains are cheaper and so are the hotels- STOP!, that is not the point i'm making.

Ash.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by spc-rocket View Post
    Hi,

I'm sure this has been asked before, but why is the conferance always in the north? I like to have it central somewhere i.e. Birmingham where everyone can get to fairly easily via trains, buses or car etc. Please before anyone says that trains are cheaper and so are the hotels- STOP!, that is not the point i'm making.

Ash.
    We usually attempt to have more than one conference. In fairness, the Chorley one is easy for the admins so that never gets bumped. Chorley is also pretty much half way up the length of the UK (we have members from the south west of England up to the north east of Scotland).

In previous years, we have also run conferences in central London and Corby. We tried to run one near Bristol I think too, but that had to be cancelled.

This year we also hope to hold a conference in or near Edinburgh. Next year the second conference should be somewhere in the south.

Ultimately, it depends on where we can get reasnoable conference facilities. We will never charge for the conferences so we have to find somewhere affordable.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by leco View Post
    You see what happens when I post - spouse comes in and says 'we' need to look on the interweb for cottages and such, when for? Spring Bank week oh well it was a nice, if fleeting, thought.
    Thurnham Hall, Ellel
    There you go. Can recommend it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    We usually attempt to have more than one conference. In fairness, the Chorley one is easy for the admins so that never gets bumped. Chorley is also pretty much half way up the length of the UK (we have members from the south west of England up to the north east of Scotland).

In previous years, we have also run conferences in central London and Corby. We tried to run one near Bristol I think too, but that had to be cancelled.

This year we also hope to hold a conference in or near Edinburgh. Next year the second conference should be somewhere in the south.

Ultimately, it depends on where we can get reasnoable conference facilities. We will never charge for the conferences so we have to find somewhere affordable.
    Fair enough Ric but it would be would good if the conferances are rotated so next year it will be somewhere different and this gives the chance to people to attend more conferances - this again is entirely dependant on availability of course.

Ash.

Thank Post
    Is there a group booking/group rate being organised with the hotel or is it a case of just book in now yourself?

Thank Post
    P.S. For those new members here I forgot to add that the conf is free to attend as we pick up all the bills. All you have to do is get yourself here, but please note that it costs us around £35 per head, so there is no dropping out at the last minute unless you want a bill!
    As quoted from DB himself. As the man says, Edugeek picks up the hotel tab (forget the mini-bar), but there have been some cases where people say they're coming, Edugeek book a room for them, then they don't turn up. IIRC there was a case a couple of years ago where ten people who said they were coming didn't turn up, which cost Edugeek £350.00. That money could have been put to better use.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,170 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The earlier conferences tended to be held in locations where there was minimal (or no) charge for the venue, and where sponsorship could be got for the food, etc. Corby and London went ahead due to some fast talking with sponsors. To be honest, the Corby one wasn't meant to be a conference ... it was meant to be a get together of geeks to just have a general chat and share ... the same way the stand at the BETT show was just meant to be a meeting place ...

The Bristol conference did not go ahead as we could not get commitment from schools for a venue and there was a minimal budget (£0 to be honest) and there was a certain resistance at the time from the local councils due to the BSF stuff going on.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,170 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by beeswax View Post
    As quoted from DB himself. As the man says, Edugeek picks up the hotel tab (forget the mini-bar), but there have been some cases where people say they're coming, Edugeek book a room for them, then they don't turn up. IIRC there was a case a couple of years ago where ten people who said they were coming didn't turn up, which cost Edugeek £350.00. That money could have been put to better use.
    EG made a contribution to the hotel bill for people (not the whole lot), laid on a coach for travel from hotel to the conference centre and then provided food at the conference centre ... it only works out cost effective if people turn up.

Thank Post
    1. Chorley is not "up north" - its doon sooth - howayyerbuggarmarrah

2. I think its a good sign when people complain about having to go somewhere else apart from Earl's Court/ the NEC

3. Obviously as the closest person to the Chorley conf centre - maybe I shouldn't get a vote

Si

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    1. Chorley is not "up north" - its doon sooth - howayyerbuggarmarrah

2. I think its a good sign when people complain about having to go somewhere else apart from Earl's Court/ the NEC

3. Obviously as the closest person to the Chorley conf centre - maybe I shouldn't get a vote

Si
    Didn't know you were that close Si! I can't complain its only about 50 minutes away from me Nice trip to Lancaster for the Motorway and blast down it or across the Clitheroe and down that way The joy of living on the Yorks / Lancs border

As for hotel, I suspect it will be get in there and get booking yourself, they did one year try to get a group discount sorted but that was a couple of years ago now, we usually run a coach from the Hotel to the Conference Centre and back each day though so don't worry about how do I get from Preston to Chorley and back etc... The Train Station in Preston isn't that far away from the Hotel so taxi's are cheap and people on here were good at sharing last year and sorting themselves out

Thank Post
    Unfortunately we cannot afford to pay for accomodation but the Ibis is pretty cheap. We did manage to provide a subsidary one year but that was with the kind sponsorship from RM.

We will provide travel to/from the conference from the Ibis, hot/cold refreshments all day and there will be a buffet lunch. We will also see about subsidising food in the evening... hopefully with the help of a kind sponsor

12. 3 Thanks to Ric_:

beeswax (6th April 2010), john (6th April 2010), Soulfish (6th April 2010)

Thank Post
    Cheers Ric - wanted to double check there wasn't a block booking at the hotel or similar before I went ahead and booked my room .

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulfish View Post
    Cheers Ric - wanted to double check there wasn't a block booking at the hotel or similar before I went ahead and booked my room .
    Of course you could just move close

Nearer the time, we will also set up a thread to ask if people are car/taxi sharing. There also tends to be people travelling from around the Preston area for the evening stuff (for instance I live on the way to Kirkham) so there will be scope to share taxis and keep costs down.

Thank Post
    But I actually like the south!

Thank Post
    JFI - there are 2 train lines a couple of miles either side of the conf centre.

1. Chorley which is on the Preston-Manchester line

2. Euxton Balshaw Lane which is on Preston-Wigan (Main West Coast Line)

So if people are arriving in the morning and going direct to conf (and then onto hotel afterwards or back home if just staying for the day) I'm more than willing to come and pick you up from either station and run you to the conf centre and back to either station afterwards.

If you need this facility, PM me for my mobile/home number.

regards

Simon

17. Thanks to SimpleSi from:

john (6th April 2010)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast