+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General EduGeek News/Announcements Thread, A Christmas stocking filler competition in EduGeek Stuff; ok worst at moment i can think off.. The scene a it support desk somewhere... Caller 1: Internet is not ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: A Christmas stocking filler competition

ok worst at moment i can think off..

The scene a it support desk somewhere...

Caller 1: Internet is not working help

Me: - ok let me look into it...

so i fire up firefox and about to click home button when....

Caller 2: net is down...

10 calls later and much trying to work what is going on i look over to my chair that has hit the powerbutton on the cache server...

This thread reminds me need to pick some winners from the donate to edugeek comp will go sort that out tonight...

Thank Post

Not done much harm in this job but in previous one I was working on a piece of equipment on a transmitter in Northern Scotland and decided that to be safe I should switch off the other piece of equipment connected to the changeover relay.

5 mins later my boss came into the room and said they don't seem to be getting any TV in Orkney and Shetland and was that anything to do with me ops: ops: ops:

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I pressed the "test" button on a electrically protected socket resulting in half a dozen computers in the suite next door suddenly losing power. In the middle of a lesson ops:

Thank Post

worst thing i did recently was drop an nec projector on the floor (and broke the focus button) while i was having a laugh with one of the cleaners at work (well he wet himself) anyway i phoned NEC and told them it was ceiling mounted and it just broke anyway got it fixed under warranty (hope no one from NEC is reading this)

the best one was when i was messing around with a wake on lan program anyway i was trying to set the time to shut down all computers in school when i hit go and the timer came on and the head of ict burst in and said all the computers are shutting down..WHOOPS i told her and everyone else that lan ranger had crashed and caused it!!! (thanks ranger)

mark

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook
    Will they be anonymous .... please say yes ...
    I will accept anoymous entries via PM if the culprit wishes to remain discrete.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

ohh that reminds me time of sitting there on school open evening lots of people around and bam the shutddown script starts to shutdown the computers I had forgot to turn it off...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts

Ive hit the restart button on NSM before now when I had an entire IT room selected, whoops! I was sure NSM was supposed to not restart them if someone was logged in but it seems it did Oh well it was only a load of A level coursework that went missing, I blaim the anti-virus software Thanks Sophos you are ace

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I've heard first-hand the story of somebody using RM's Local Support Tools (allows you to create/restore backup images on local machines) but accidentally restored the whole school from the last backup instead of just one room.

Some people who had things saved locally weren't pleased

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by john
    I blaim the anti-virus software Thanks Sophos you are ace
    Aren't we all supposed to have a program that generates a daily excuse to give to callers who say "well what was wrong?".

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by markcuk
    i was messing around with a wake on lan program anyway i was trying to set the time to shut down all computers in school when i hit go
    Fancy telling us the name of that piece of software please?

Thank Post

Only ones I can remember are the same as Russ, having knocked the power button on the Cache (stupid exposed outward poking button!!) and not realised my net was fine so couldn't understand why everyone was moaning. As the cache was in a different room took slightly longer to work out.

Smaller one, I did unfilter YouTube over the half term with the intention to put it back on the Friday. Course the next wednesday I walk in to find a poster of Beaker on my desk with a though bubble asking about YouTube...... Whoops (Beaker being a muppet for those still in a Monday morning coma )

Had a couple with projector set-ups too. One I totally forgot about so my boss had someone come and knock on his door at half 7 to ask where it was and he had to trudge over and set up in front of a hall full of y9's and parents. The other wasn't my fault but the I had forgotten to expalin it fully to the person so it got tagged to me. Had a fund raiser, on of these race evenings, and everything was set up after school and it of course went in to power save mode. Again my boss gets a knock on the door at a bout 8 to go over and flick the laptop key combination to show on the projector in front of all the punters, the anxious organisers and staff (who found it highly amusing)

Shall have to make discreet enquires about anyothers I have managed to block out.

Oh and did those network finders get sent out from the T-Shirt Competition?

Thank Post

VNC is a handy tool, no?

Watching kids doing what they shouldn't during lessons over VNC and hitting random buttons as they attempt to log in to hotmail or Kings of Chaos or other such 'educational' sites. We could only imagine their puzzled little faces as their passwords failed to work. Again and again.

My favourite is a quick command line and 'pssuspend //remotemachine UnrealTournamen' . Then you wait for them to get fed up, kill the UT session, start it up again, just get going then it's up arrow, enter and it freezes all over again... Bless :twisted:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,319 Times in 1,632 Posts

On the phone to Dell about a dodgy teacher's laptop. Very bored as they insisted I went through all the various tests etc whilst talking to them, even though I had already done all the bits and pieces and identified the problem - the mobo was failing.
    Not looking what I was doing, I put in a disc and clicked OK, only to find that I had agreed to reformat the hard drive! Oops ops:
    I told the teacher that the hard drive had gone and wasn't that a shame.
    She was upset at losing her work, and I felt really guilty, until I realised that she was most worried about losing her 200-odd itunes that she had downloaded.
    I didn't care quite so much after that!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

cover sup visor asking me to unblock a French site looked at it was ok so unblocked.

but when i looked at it only looked at top half and not bottom half were some very dodgy images...

not sure who was more embarrassed me or said cover teacher..

Thank Post

Years ago (25 or more) when I worked as a mainframe systems programmer we had a major power related systems failure overnight at the data centre where I worked. I was asked to follow up and after much investigation managed to track down the culprit(s).
    The computer room was vast, and during the night the operators were bored, and decided to play with a frisby.... unfortunately one of them hit a wall mounted 'EPO' switch (emergency power off) and shut down all the power. A few days later our maintenance team were to be seen fitting hinged perspex flaps over the EPOs.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast