+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General EduGeek News/Announcements Thread, Sponsors and advertisers on their way in EduGeek Stuff; Hi all, just to let all know in advance that there will be some changes appearing soon to the forums ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Blog Entries

Sponsors and advertisers on their way

Hi all, just to let all know in advance that there will be some changes appearing soon to the forums and other areas.
    Firstly, we now have sponsors, they have been quetly contacting me for some time now and in the next week or so some logos and links will appear on each of the forum indexs that have been suported by them. The sponsors will be allowed to introduce themselves and their products\services within that forum and within the 'Our Advertisers' forum. It is here that the intention is that you can request quotes and info on products from our advertisers (strangely enough).
    Our advertisers module is almost complete and we will be hosting more adverts soon, and there will be a single banner ad on the homepage (no towers or pop-ups etc) and if the demand is big enough a banner on the forums section.
    I am not doing this for pure profit motive or the fact that that desert island in the caribbean is not going to pay for itself but that we need to pay for decent hosting (and I'm sick of paying for it every month), and to host events and support our guys who are organising them.
    This community has been built on the hard work of many others, and its about time I tried to cover any costs they are incurring.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Sponsors and advertisers on their way

Great Dos_Box, glad the wheels are well and turly in motion for this. Hopefully it will benefit us Edugeekers and schools getting some potentially good deals from suppliers; get the suppliers extra business (and word of mouth if they're good! ); make some money for Edugeek and in turn speed it up a bit

Once again, thanks to you Dos_Box and all the Edugeek staff for hosting and running the site to allow it to become what it is today - the best resource for people behind IT in schools

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Thank you. I am upping our current hosting to a load balencing option at the end of the month becuase its getting dammed creaky in here. After BETT we should have a beter idea of just how good business will be and I will select a decent hosting package soon after (dedicated server a must).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts

Can you not run it on a dedi box at your school DB, call it a charitable act

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Sounds like tricky moves ahead. I trust you're leading us in the right direction tho'. Can't wait for the performance improvements, I think that's hitting us lately.

Thank Post

Forgot to put in my post, Thanks to all the staff for the hardwork they do, its really appreciated by lots of us!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Blog Entries

DB can't run it at his place (for a variety of reasons) and most of us who connect to an RBC will find that we would get our wrists slapped if we tried (I did ask ... and got told "NO!!!" bt for a number of very valid reasons)

Let's face it ... would any of us trust such a busy site being hosted within the NEN without someone payed to babysit it?

External hosting (and the independance it brings) is the best model.

ok ... until Sir Alan buys it up (hmm ... must speak to Viglen at BETT about advertising...) and DB can retire to his desert island ... which looks more like Morecambe sands at the moment.

Thank Post

Hhey whats wrong with Morecambe sands, its not that bad

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by john
    Hhey whats wrong with Morecambe sands, its not that bad
    Errm, yes it is.

Thank Post

EEK, Ive just seen an Ad for Intergris G2 in the main forum listings, this is going to be fun, I have not seen a member of RM staff on here, yet (they may have been but as some of us don't like RM CC networks they may be well hidden ) But have seen a Sims dude, I bet that was a tough one to call Integris VS Sims VS Facility sponsoring that forum

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Will say rm are here and they do watch and listen i speak to many rm staff member who look here..

but you know how it is rules and not what mean they cant post..

On serious note RM do lot of us at edugeek you would be surprised they have supplied equipment for conferences and events, not advertise with us and doing more.

just because you don't seem them they are here

As for capita well it his job customer relations..

Russell

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

to be fair also sims dont need to advertise they hold a majority share of the market other suppliers do..

russ

Not since they were declared an almost monopoly. The govt got in trouble over Capitas almost total dominance in schools earlier this year. Things are changing. And I'm dammed if I can find an artical in it. Perhaps I dreamed it?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

They lurk Besides, I'm not an RM fan, but since I started EduGeek one thing I have come to appreciate is just how many people like product that some of us hate. I was always fearful that we would receive more legal notices than we have due to global panning of products, but I have always been pleasantly surprised that in many cases products or suppliers in the FFS! and the Bad Suppliers forums have always had their defenders. I always let advertisers and sponsors know that we are not endorsing their product, merely letting them publicize it. Try starting an anti CC thread and you will be bombarded by people whose lives are made easier by it. I like Net Support Manager, but will be heckled by the Ranger crowed should I try to put it down. At the end of the day they are paying a fee for a service which means we get to host on a better server. And I'm one step closer to getting that desert island in Morcambe Bay.

Thank Post

Yay DBs coming to live near me You know the sea's much blue'er and cleaner up here in Lancaster than in Preston and we got Morecambe and Wise

Good for RM advertising with us then, I am not a fan of CC but I know of people who are, so good for them. I can run my systems without it and am happy doing so. I use NSM and couldn't be without it, and as you have said DB others say ranger rules. I must admit I didn't mind Integris when I had to use it, it wasn't bad at all, just needs a facelife like Sims had then it will be a good alternative to it. Wonder how long till North Yorks LEA shove them all onto Intergris G2 or Facility as that at one stage was the trend, moving from Sims and Integris to Facility, but thats a story for another time and thread.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Spies among us!! I wonder they'll give us a licence discount since I've been so nice about CC3... :P

Quote Originally Posted by russdev
    to be fair also sims dont need to advertise they hold a majority share of the market other suppliers do..
    Yes, a monopoly 8)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast