+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
General EduGeek News/Announcements Thread, Current forum silliness, an end in EduGeek Stuff; I think we should all stop bitching and moaning about the threads that went the way they went and stop ...
    Thank Post
    I think we should all stop bitching and moaning about the threads that went the way they went and stop moaning and quipping about Dos-Boxes comments.

We have all learnt from the last few days and weeks and the air has been cleared, i think we should close the thread, move on and behave like the mature profesionnals we all are.

I agree a laugh and a joke are great and can lighten a day wonderfully but we must consider the environements in which this forum is accessed.

I support the admins and the mods in whatever deceisons they make as they have been entrusted to do so.

Comments of a questionable nature should be avoided and taken to a more suitable forum of the posters choice.

Lets be friends, have fun, share knowledge and enjoy the wondeful resource and social forum that edugeek is.

James

2. 4 Thanks to jamesreedersmith:

Andie (29th January 2010), Domino (26th January 2010), elsiegee40 (26th January 2010), leco (26th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CPLTD View Post
    see attachment lol
    ODD :S i get a lot of things about my name.. just that is used here... educ... edut... you can work them out lol.. just fun! the actuall meaning behind that is different to the meaning here thats fun... where as here there is an actual meaning behind edugod.

James.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I do understand that this is Dos-Box's web site in as much as he is the founder. However, the nature of the site means that without its diverse and eclectic group of members the site is nothing.

In my opinion Edu-Geek is more of a co-operative, members are very much a part of the site, and as such I donít really feel that shouting at them, and banging rulers in a dictatorial role is particularly helpful.

Also, would it be possible to explain how the Admins and Mods were recruited?
    not sure about the co-operative description. Dos-Box is founder, but he's also sole proprietor is he not? Edugeek is not a community owned in the financial sense is it. And well it's not really a democracy.

Unless there are other financial stakeholders [i don't know how the site is organised apart from who the admins and mods are....i don't know of what financial interests there are and nor is it any of my business]. As much as edugeek is a community, is it not just another website in the sense that it has an owner who benefits from it's commercial success via increased revenue, increased, and this is the chap who owns the site/brand/domain whatever the high value things are.

And an owner who relies on community involvement and volunteering, to increase the value of this brand. Obviously there's more to it than the business side but i think it's important not to get too misty eyed. pragmatism.

richard_s
    I too would be interested in knowing what criteria were used in the selection of people for these positions.

6. Thanks to richard_s from:

garethedmondson (26th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Here here,

i been getting sick of this lady gaga stuff. joke sorry mods

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by patty04 View Post
    Here here,

i been getting sick of this lady gaga stuff. joke sorry mods
    well, you should blame the hairy bikers for all that nonsense. And they must have five thousand
    posts between them, so it's not just new members capable of dragging the site into banality.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,799 Times in 1,117 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I do understand that this is Dos-Box's web site in as much as he is the founder. However, the nature of the site means that without its diverse and eclectic group of members the site is nothing.

In my opinion Edu-Geek is more of a co-operative, members are very much a part of the site, and as such I donít really feel that shouting at them, and banging rulers in a dictatorial role is particularly helpful.

Recruited, co-opted, press-ganged!

The Admins were the people who stepped up to the plate in the early days to get the site running, develop the community, run activities and deal with people ... all things over and above normal mod activities. Originally it was Chris and Ric, then Russ muscled in because he was happy to get on and do stuff that others couldn't (or didn't have access too), I was dragged in because of contacts and organising things (I'm free I tell you) and Shaun stepped up after one of the members who was helping to redevelop the site was unable to continue due to circumstances. Other than me stepping down that is how it has stayed ...

The Mods are again some of those who stepped up to help from early on, were spotted by the admins and other mods as people with level heads / knowledge / experience and also some selected after being involved in various projects or events. Ultimately DB has final say but Mods are where they are due to putting in the work. A few have left due to changing jobs (though no-one can get rid of Domino ...) but with the increasing scope of members we are no longer just a community of folk working in education ... it is still the largest section by far ... but the lurkers come from all places. A few have left because of the time commitment (my excuse too) but even those who are not on here every day will get active in the behind the scenes discussions (no ... not a Cabal, but sharing balanced views and opinions on tricky threads, or simply being there to deal with spam when others are not!)

I hope this explains a bit more ... and yes, we are a community, the same way a sports club might be a community ... but DB is the owner of the ground, the head coach, the treasurer and the litter picker. If people need more rules as they lack some common sense or push the limits on H&S (No ... don't pick your nose with a javelin!) then he, or those he has allocated to do the work, will step in. And yes ... I know the analogy can be picked apart and there will always be better ones ... but it sort of covers things.

10. 4 Thanks to GrumbleDook:

elsiegee40 (26th January 2010), garethedmondson (26th January 2010), Jon (26th January 2010), leco (26th January 2010)

Jon
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    not sure about the co-operative description. Dos-Box is founder, but he's also sole proprietor is he not? Edugeek is not a community owned in the financial sense is it. And well it's not really a democracy.

Unless there are other financial stakeholders [i don't know how the site is organised apart from who the admins and mods are....i don't know of what financial interests there are and nor is it any of my business]. As much as edugeek is a community, is it not just another website in the sense that it has an owner who benefits from it's commercial success via increased revenue, increased, and this is the chap who owns the site/brand/domain whatever the high value things are.

And an owner who relies on community involvement and volunteering, to increase the value of this brand. Obviously there's more to it than the business side but i think it's important not to get too misty eyed. pragmatism.
    I am not at all interested in the financial side of Edu-Geek, if it makes Dos-Box a living, or even wealthy then the very best of luck to him, he deserves it.

The point I was trying to make was that it is entirely the members and users that make the site what it is, if there were no members there would be no Edu-Geek. As such I do feel that addressing the members should be done in a less dictatorial manner.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,224 Times in 1,642 Posts
    ...I do feel that addressing the members should be done in a less dictatorial manner.
    I think on this occasion behaviour was getting out of hand and a few heads needed banging together. DB used the teacher banging a ruler analogy and that is what was needed, IMHO ... a teacher getting the attention of an unruly class.

Like any unruly class, the majority are probably just sniggering on the side, or feeding in the occasional witticism... it's a small minority actually running amok. However, the teacher shouts at everyone to break the cycle and restore order.

As any teacher knows, shouting doesn't always work, but sometimes it's worth a try

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    I hope this explains a bit more ... and yes, we are a community, the same way a sports club might be a community ... but DB is the owner of the ground, the head coach, the treasurer and the litter picker. If people need more rules as they lack some common sense or push the limits on H&S (No ... don't pick your nose with a javelin!) then he, or those he has allocated to do the work, will step in. And yes ... I know the analogy can be picked apart and there will always be better ones ... but it sort of covers things.
    yes, but for how long can the owner come groundkeeper of a successful enteperise continue to rely on people making the half-time tea and biscuits, before revenues are such that paid salaries are appropriate for catering and grasscutting ? [sorry about the elongated analogy] Or is that really how it works throughout in most other moderate to very successful sites ?

I don't know, just that you might be someone who has a better idea than most.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post

ps: The learning network manager forum is MINE!! It gives me an excuse to ask silly questions.....but when am i no longer classed as a Learning network manager?...hmmm....
    Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but the LNM forum was originally for this software, now discontinued by Microsoft: Learning Network Manager The name is misleading though.

Feel free to post in it though

Jon
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    I think on this occasion behaviour was getting out of hand and a few heads needed banging together. DB used the teacher banging a ruler analogy and that is what was needed, IMHO ... a teacher getting the attention of an unruly class.

Like any unruly class, the majority are probably just sniggering on the side, or feeding in the occasional witticism... it's a small minority actually running amok. However, the teacher shouts at everyone to break the cycle and restore order.

As any teacher knows, shouting doesn't always work, but sometimes it's worth a try
    This is all very true, however, children have to attend school regardless of whether they wish to or not.
    School children cannot be compared to a group of members who supply all the content on Edu-Geek.

16. Thanks to Jon from:

tech_guy (26th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Can I just say it's getting quite chilly again.........thanks.

Thank Post
    This is all very true, however, children have to attend school regardless of whether they wish to or not.
    School children cannot be compared to a group of members who supply all the content on Edu-Geek.
    spot on.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,224 Times in 1,642 Posts
    ...School children cannot be compared to a group of members who supply all the content on Edu-Geek.
    True, many children don't sulk as long as some edugeeks

Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    Can I just say it's getting quite chilly again.........thanks.
    I know, I've turned the central heating up! Can I get you some soup?!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast