+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
General EduGeek News/Announcements Thread, Current forum silliness, an end in EduGeek Stuff; Originally Posted by mb2k01 @Dos_Box Happy with what I think you're trying to say (although could have been written with ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mb2k01 View Post
    @Dos_Box

Happy with what I think you're trying to say (although could have been written with "Us/Our" rather than "My/I"), but what happens when this message disappears off the homepage and isn't at the forefront of peoples minds when posting, or presented to newer members?

If this statement is a definitive instruction detailing how this site should be used from this point on, can it not be adapted and disaplyed on new sign ups, and before the submitting of new posts.... kicking off the previously debated site rules/aup feature?
    There will be an adapted version that will replace the current set of rules that you agree to when signing up, these are currently on the to-do list as far as i am aware.

To be honest, not many people read the rules when they sign up anyway they tend to just stick a tick in the box and ignore it.

James.

2. Thanks to EduTech from:

mb2k01 (26th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,623 Posts
    Ah - but as long as the rules are there, and the box is ticked, then we are able to invoke the :'you broke the rules' argument in the future.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Not really. They just look to us for ideas on how children can be better protected, and what online trends they may be following, and steps we take to stop them getting into trouble.
    On that note i'd say we were priveledged to be so respected and seen in such a good light by other government bodies and industries. It's very nice too know.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    Is that a nice way of saying people spy on us ?
    I'm not sure "reading publicly-made posts" counts as spying...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,151 Times in 981 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We did decide quite early on that having a set of hard and fast rules may be little impractical, and we should deal with situations as and when they arose. We set the tone for the site and expect everyone to adhere to it. Every now and then it slips, so every now and then we have to remind you. There will (in the very near future) be a set of rules posted up, both for members and sponsors, but the members rules will be more in the way of guidelines, so we can adapt them as situations dictate.

7. Thanks to Dos_Box from:

markwatkins (26th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Hear, Hear.

Well said, Dos_Box, things have been getting rather silly of late, thanks especially to one or two particular posters by the seems of it.

Thank Post
    Thanks Dos_Box that needed to come from the top and I think reflects the general feeling.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,067 Times in 624 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    I'm not sure "reading publicly-made posts" counts as spying...
    True, not that I'm bothered as the attitude I have always taken is if someone reads something I have said or made a comment on or said something about a product and they don't like it, then that's their problem, not mine.
    Still people need to a chill out a bit - I've done my stint of high pressure IT related huge budget projects in the past. Been on call 24/7, spent hours in hotel rooms, and worked abroad - for me it's great to get the time to post some FUNNY STUFF and talk about aspects of my job and generally have fun and a laugh.......
    As Ferris Bueller once said:

'Life moves pretty fast. You don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. '

Thank Post
    Just like to add my thanks - some posts had been getting very silly lately and I think everyone needed to be reminded about what this community is about

Thank Post
    *Buuurrrrrp!!*

Sorry

Well Said DB

Thank Post
    As much as I respect people who run internet forums (spending a lot of time behind the scenes and in their own time!), if it's the silliness concerning a couple of members who've turned up lately (causing a huge response in a couple of threads); isn't it a bit of an over-reaction? I know there was a bit of friction, but shouldn't the warning be targeted at the individuals rather than the majority that are sensible here?

99% of the posts here are still informative and tie the line with the websites aims. However, we're all still human and the fun element of any forum keeps me on one. I fully respect the importance; but I don't think it was that serious (unless I've missed something in the last few days).

14. Thanks to Tunster from:

tech_guy (26th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,067 Times in 624 Posts
    I'm off to have some FUN on quakelive - I'll be on the Maidenhead Free For All server if anyone fancies fragging me a few times.

Thank Post
    I feel it maybe a good idea for some clarification on who are Admins and who are Mods and as to their roles. I dare say I will be shot down in flames but I would like to know. As a new visitor reading these forums some of the posts made by mods give the impression that they have a more in depth role than just moderating the forums. So when these members are then see taking part in light hearted discussions, directing comments at suppliers, you can see how normal members will either see it as a green light to continue, or on the other hand get upset when they are pulled up on similar posts.

I do not make this comment to cause offense but to suggest something that may help stop this happening in the future.

17. 2 Thanks to RingOfFlame:

CPLTD (26th January 2010), garethedmondson (26th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RingOfFlame View Post
    I feel it maybe a good idea for some clarification on who are Admins and who are Mods
    That's what their badges are for. You know, on the left.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    That's what their badges are for. You know, on the left.
    No need for the sarcasm, she was being sincere in her request, and badges only show mod/admin, they don't answer her questions.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast