+ Post New Thread
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast
General EduGeek News/Announcements Thread, Current forum silliness, an end in EduGeek Stuff; Originally Posted by mb2k01 What I do agree with is the devalued status of members. I've only been here a ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 849 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mb2k01 View Post
    What I do agree with is the devalued status of members.
    I've only been here a relatively short amount of time compared to some of you (registered in 2005), but I've noticed a huge sway in how members are treated - both by other members and to a certain extent Mods and Admins. As I commented on Page 1, it's now apparent that this site is "yours" rather than "ours".....

There shouldn't be such clear divisions between God/Admin/Mod and Supporter/Member - we should work for eachother.
    I am hoping that when we have updated rules/guidlines we will answer some of these issues for you. We dont ever want that impression and I am trying to think of several ways to differentiate from a *official'sih* post from mods/admins over personal opinion which I think may help clarify where people are coming from. The issue has been that with so many members everyone has an idea how things should be done and handled, we do try to take on as many points as we can but eventually a stance has to come where you say enough is enough, please tow the line with x point and thats the end of it. We have many question current swearing policy and it went back and forth until we had to say "no swearing, fact!" to end the debate. Its a hard tight rope to walk but just know we are here for the members but just dont expect it all everyones way as everyone has different ideas how edugeek should be modded and ran.
    Please dont take this as a pop, just try to see it from our perspective a little and that keeping all happy is damn hard, after a certain point you have to say enough is enough, play ball.

2. Thanks to ZeroHour from:

mb2k01 (27th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Not taken as a pop - taken as a very well thought through, honest, answer. Thank you.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I totally agree with these sentiments,

"Now I don't usually enter in to these threads as I usually have better things to do but I for one must say that I am quite happy with EduGeek and if they do some money making initiatives to keep it going and thrive"

I am slighlty surprised that there are a few people who are getting so upset over the point of this thread.

I suppose if you don't like it don't join is the answer.

To Dos et al thank you making this resource available.

richard_s
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    No one said you had to moderate your views - where is that coming from? The point is that we want to be seen as a professional resource, a place where RM can come and get REAL opinions from people in the front line - they might even change things as a result, you never know!

However, we do ask that if you have something to say, then back it up with examples, for instances and facts. General abuse is not the way to go.
    Actually you have asked me to moderate my views in the past as you have not liked my political views.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries
    ironically boasted to me about how you were going to block all edugeek ad's as you felt you didnt want to support us, we could have banned you then as you technically have no direct $ value. I could write some scripts to detect attempts to block ad's and lock you out of the site but we dont...
    You failed to mention why i blocked the adds. Its because they are inappropiate. You also failed to mention i made a donation out of my own cash to the site instead

Quote Originally Posted by mb2k01 View Post
    @ZeroHour and FN-GM:

What I do agree with is the devalued status of members.
    I've only been here a relatively short amount of time compared to some of you (registered in 2005), but I've noticed a huge sway in how members are treated - both by other members and to a certain extent Mods and Admins. As I commented on Page 1, it's now apparent that this site is "yours" rather than "ours".....
    Thats what i am trying to get accross about it not being a community anymore

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    Hmm tbh thats a rather out of order comment as you know fine well we try to meet the requirements of our members, maybe if we are going for the cash we should stop spending thousands and thousands on BETT and conferences?! that would save a hell of a lot of cash as we are seen as money grabbing now anyway. I get pretty annoyed when I see people getting aggrivated at EduGeek and funding, you have been to events in the past as well! Maybe we should just shut up shop and call it a day as actually making money for the time spent is a crime now adays....
    Yes there are problems with posts/threads/mods/actions etc LIKE any organisation but on the whole we try help as much as we can and we are trying to improve, remember edugeek is growing very fast and like anything we have growing pains. Also to assume each time a thread is removed/edited and you personally/publically told why is because a company told us to is silly to say the least. You do NOT know all the facts that go on behind the scenes and generally when your not told there is a GOOD reason. I am not repeating myself again from when you last made similar posts but should we get members sacked by not removing the threads etc?!?! and we do stand up to companies btw, you would know this if you were a mod but we cant easily publically state all the reasons why things are done.
    But yeh in some areas yes more information should be given but to take a slant against us being all about the money is harsh to say the least and uncalled for. Yes we make money now, accept that. Please PM me examples of how we are only about the money and how we dont invest huge amounts of personal time into the site...
    Everyone wants a free ride it appears, you ironically boasted to me about how you were going to block all edugeek ad's as you felt you didnt want to support us, we could have banned you then as you technically have no direct $ value. I could write some scripts to detect attempts to block ad's and lock you out of the site but we dont...
    I have seen a few of these threads come up as time went on and as we got bigger and bigger and all I see is needless jelousy and its usually unsubstatiated *feelings* about how we only grab the money so I am calling those who say we are money grabbers to please pm me examples how when we spend large amounts of cash to offer things for free (unlike all our competitors) we are just in it for the money. Hell this year we are trying to have more conferences and events then ever before but I dont think we should bother now.

Ohh how I feel valued now as a money grabber....

/Rant over...

Please dont feel I *just* targeted you FN as this more for all users that see us in this light as well and rather then repeating myself with many quotes etc I thought I would try to answer the points there.
    I am not saying what you do with the money is bad but as more and more is being made the members are not being treated like they did. The site seems to look after sponsors more.
    Last edited by FN-GM; 27th January 2010 at 01:03 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 731 Posts
    I as many other don’t normally get involved with these kind of discussions, there are plenty of members that share my view and they can get point across better than I ever could, but this has got to stop!

So what if the people who run this site get paid for their time and their skills. How many of you here would go round to someone’s home, stay up until 2:00am fixing someone’s computer for nothing? Take into account that you do get paid. How many of you would still want to do that day after day? How many of you would continue when the people you help continue to berate the work you do?

Keep up the good work is what I say.

Also when it comes to what goes on behind the scenes, unless something directly affects you why do you need to know? If 2 Teachers in your school have an issue and the Head Teacher is dealing with it do they tell you all the ins and outs?

Sport has armchair supporters; it seems EduGeek has its share of armchair Admins. I suggest its time those tuned into another forum.

8. 9 Thanks to SYSMAN_MK:

alan-d (27th January 2010), Domino (27th January 2010), maniac (27th January 2010), markwatkins (27th January 2010), Mcshammer_dj (27th January 2010), Netman (27th January 2010), OutToLunch (27th January 2010), webman (27th January 2010), witch (27th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SYSMAN_MK View Post
    So what if the people who run this site get paid for their time and their skills. How many of you here would go round to someone’s home, stay up until 2:00am fixing someone’s computer for nothing? Take into account that you do get paid. How many of you would still want to do that day after day? How many of you would continue when the people you help continue to berate the work you do?
    It has been later on some occassions!! hehe 3/4am lol

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    You failed to mention why i blocked the adds. Its because they are inappropiate. You also failed to mention i made a donation out of my own cash to the site instead
    Bad adverts occur very very occasionally so permanintly banning adverts on the odd exception is harsh and we have long said that donations would and could never make up for advert revenue although its nice of you to do so. Also you donated back in a time when you were more happy with the site and said you would not do it again unless we changed. And I wouldnt need to say you donated if you had actually left the status on but you said you did not want to be associated as a *supporter* of edugeek.

I am not saying what you do with the money is bad but as more and more is being made the members are not being treated like they did. The site seems to look after sponsors more.
    Please back that up with PM's to me with details and if founded we can discuss publically. We have had sponsors versus sponsors but no we have not been bending to the will of sponsors imo.
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 27th January 2010 at 01:10 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    Bad adverts occur very very occasionally so permanintly banning adverts on the odd exception is harsh and we have long said that donations would and could never make up for advert revenue although its nice of you to do so. Also you donated back in a time when you were more happy with the site and said you would not do it again unless we changed. And I wouldnt need to say you donated if you had actually left the status on but you said you did not want to be associated as a *supporter* of edugeek.
    i would rather not take the risk at work to be honest. It wont make up but it help.
    At the time i didnt support what you where doing so it would make me a hypocrite if i had it displaying.
    I also stopped doing the wiki and asked for my rights to be removed because i just don’t agree.

Im not sure if i have the orignal stuff, i had to delete them as my inbox was full but its happened. At the time it was denied so the tune will hardly change now.

And when i say all this i dont want to be falling out with anyone.
    Last edited by FN-GM; 27th January 2010 at 01:15 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,641 Times in 2,045 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Oh come on people! Do you really think this site can and always will remain the same small community is used to be? As things get bigger, they change - they have to, as it is not logistically possible to stay the same. Bigger = more expensive. More expensive = more income needed.

So, yes sponsors may get some special treatment in some areas, but without them, this site couldn't possibly support the number of members it has, or the events it runs.

Stop talking about the money I say.

13. 2 Thanks to localzuk:

contink (27th January 2010), maniac (27th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    i would rather not take the risk at work to be honest. It wont make up but it help.
    So assume you dont at home? I still think its a bit silly assuming that the once in a blue moon advert would mean you would get trouble from work?!?! no work would really do that as its out of your control.
    I have seen similar arguments come on other sites stating spyware etc but it really never washes with me as its so little of an issue no one can reasonably say that blocking adverts for all their work day on the off chance that an advert with a dating site happens to occur (for example) and you get insta-sacked for it. If thats the case you must have one hell of an RUA and face unfair dismissal all the time as the rest of your staff wont probably care nor even have the ability nessarily to stop these sackable adverts...
    Also let me add *at that time* you also yourself said you had gone off on one a bit and was it not all resolved?

Thank Post
    Thing is as I see it in terms of adverts - how many sites do we browse each day looking for answers to a solution? These sites all show adverts, and most of them probably couldn't care less what adverts we see as long as they make their money.

At least EduGeek tries to tailor adverts to suit, knowing they are suitable for viewing in front of fellow staff or students.

Thank Post
    I wasn't going to contribute, but this is definately a hot topic with a very mixed air of opinion.

I used to work for GameSpy/IGN, arguably the biggest gaming-related company in the world. Look on the back of almost any game box, and a GameSpy logo will be there. I started out as a user, using the Arcade software to play my games online. I got involved with the community. I started helping out other users with firewall/router issues to get them to connect to servers. GameSpy had a dedicated live team of support volunteers who would roam the software giving assistance. Due to how well I was helping others, I was recruited into that team. Such a chain of events is generally how Mods are recruited in open communities.
    Due to my dedication within that team I was promoted to Administrator status. One of twelve in the world, to cover a user base well into the millions. Essentially this was Admin status across their whole IRC network, plus Admin status on their Forums. Thousands of boards across hundreds of Forums. I've done my share of Forum Administration. Angry kids who couldn't get their games to work. Angry parents who couldn't get their games to work. Angry users when we'd moderate their posts for being rude and crude when they couldn't get things to work.

Administrators and Moderators are recruited for a reason. They've shown willingness to help and dedication to the community. They're entrusted by the owners to share their burden and carry out tasks that a single person cannot accomplish alone. As an Admin myself I was subject to hundreds of hate messages. "How dare you ban me?", "Stop deleting my posts!". I was entrusted with the responsibility of upholding the integrity of the forums, and weeding out things which were unsuitable. It is worth noting that there were strict guidelines in place for us to follow, which made it easier. Any posts made which were directed at Moderator actions were locked, as it was forum policy not to discuss things in public, and I stand by that notion. If you have an issue with moderation, take it up in PM with a Moderator, even if they're not the one to have done anything. All moderators are in link with each other, and they will all communicate to resolve the complaint professionally. I would humbly suggest similar lines here. Threads directed at Mod actions soon spiral into Mod bashing.

With my experience in mind, I do not like to see mod/admin bashing. They're doing the job they're entrusted to do. When you're on the receiving end of some moderation, you tend to react badly. From the forums I used to manage, you had users. Then you had moderators, which were generally the first line support team. They could cut, move, edit and lock posts - that's moderation. I was the second line, Administrator. I had user management access, along with all the powers of a Mod. Administrators administrate - Removing unruly users, managing accounts, lots of behind the scenes forum work. Of course, Admins here do a lot more than I used to do, but that's it in a nutshell.

And true enough, this is Edugeek. It is a community, regardless of people saying otherwise, and it is intended as a professional community. This is Dos_Box's site, and, while perhaps an interesting analogy, it is his town. He's the sheriff, the judge and the jury at the end of the day and I will happily stand by him and whatever decisions he chooses to make, for I visit here daily and I admire what he's turned this into. I'll hold my hand up and say I contributed to the silliness. I'm on the "user" side of the fence these days, so perhaps I do let my decorum slip a little. The boundaries were pushed, it wasn't appreciated by the management. We've all had a stern message, I suggest we accept it and move on. As many people have already said - grow up. I admire the mods and Admins for doing something I once did, for no pay, and their judgment should be respected and if it should be challenged, challenge it professionally in a PM.

On a final note, I don't think the community here has changed. I think it should be more professional, and I think all those with the authoritative position to say so are within their rights to say so. Remember where we work. If you were seen roaming forums for idle chat during work hours, I'm sure you'd get reprimanded for it in any other work environment.

This is an opinion, and as such people do challenge opinions. If you wish to challenge or respond to my opinion, take it to PM please. I truly hope people accept things, and let this rest, and we can get back things.

EduLove?

17. 4 Thanks to Mako:

Dos_Box (28th January 2010), Ric_ (27th January 2010), vikpaw (31st January 2010)

Thank Post
    Now I've got to be honest in that I haven't read all this thread - mainly because of the number of pages. There seems to be complaints about how EG should be run(aministered etc) but people are already doing it. If you dont like the way it is run, dont use the resource. Everyone has different idea on how things should be run and if it was to be decided between everyone, nothing would happen.

Personally I see EG as a resource I can access in work and as such expect it to be suitable for access at work. It has helped me when I get stuck on a problem(often without having to post as other people have already encountered & solved it already) but is light harted enough not to take itself too seriously. I'm not bothered about the money side of it, as I believe for the most part that members are happy to be able to use a resource which can provide such a huge amount of support in a matter of minutes.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Im not sure if i have the orignal stuff, i had to delete them as my inbox was full but its happened. At the time it was denied so the tune will hardly change now.
    Well not according to my records, but its probably a cover up by admins/mods... Please only state things you can back up as hear say is simply not beneficial to anyone. If you find the mails/pms/etc please forward them to me via email/pm and I will check my records.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread