+ Post New Thread
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast
General EduGeek News/Announcements Thread, Current forum silliness, an end in EduGeek Stuff; I don't remember the Sophos incident you refer to but I do recall a guy from Sophos replying to a ...

Thank Post
    I don't remember the Sophos incident you refer to but I do recall a guy from Sophos replying to a Sophos is cr@p post giving us his email address and offering personal assistance. He did provide me with a load of pointers to try and get the management console working.

2. Thanks to laserblazer from:

garethedmondson (27th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RingOfFlame View Post
    Would not matter. They would get it removed anyway.
    Yeah the mods are such a bunch of self obessed people that if someone gave one of them neg rep then we would go to the admins to have it removed so that we all look like perfect people.

Get real.

We have asked if there is a way to automate the functionality of producing a pm that is sent to a member to explain when an edit has been made, at the moment these are 2 seperate procedures. After an edit has been made we then have to manually initiate the PM process.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    I don't remember the Sophos incident you refer to but I do recall a guy from Sophos replying to a Sophos is cr@p post giving us his email address and offering personal assistance. He did provide me with a load of pointers to try and get the management console working.
    Well that was me, and I got a phone call from Sophos [ after my ban was lifted ] and had a VERY long conflap in regards to the problems etc and I was then promised feedback, a thread was created on the forum asking for feedback which loads of members added to - I then sent that info to Sophos and HEARD NOTHING EVER AGAIN.
    Oh well. I / and Edugeek members did try.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    That sort of service is where Edugeek can benefit. More companies like Promethean are needed in the direct support section of this community.

GJE

6. Thanks to garethedmondson from:

laserblazer (27th January 2010)

Thank Post
    'First and foremost, EduGeek.net is a technical community, created as a place for those lonely people in schools that often struggle to find solutions to problems that are only found in schools.'

That's me.On my own a lot of the time grateful that there is somewhere I can go to for likeminded people to listen to and occassionaly ask for help. I don't post very much as there are some people out there with far superior technical knowledge to me but have added to some posts when I thought I might be of some help.
    I like edugeek because I feel a part of it and when you are sitting surrounded by people who glaze over when you explain what you are doing it's nice to know that someone somewhere will listen.
    hope that made some sort of sense
    cheers
    Adrian

8. 8 Thanks to bloxy:

alan-d (27th January 2010), contink (27th January 2010), john (27th January 2010), laserblazer (27th January 2010), markwatkins (27th January 2010), Ric_ (27th January 2010), solitaire89 (27th January 2010), witch (27th January 2010)

Thank Post
    I agree, I'm a member of a US based video forum and it's amazing the number of suppliers/manufacturers that get personally involved. It gives you a warm feeling.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    I have noticed a change in this forum, and its not as good as it used to be....
    Its no longer a community site, all they seem to care about now is making money and making the site members grow and grow. The members don't seem to count as much anymore, they are only a number. I liked when the site was a community, i don't see it as that anymore. The members opinions used to count, they don't seem to anymore, its disappointing.

Its also annoying when threads are locked or removed when someone is complaining or telling us bout a bad experience. Just because the company concerned has moaned about it.

But i agree very pointless threads need to go. But i think fun should be allowed as well.

The site needs some consistency in the way admins and mods do things. For example it would be nice when someone locks a thread or deletes posts to e-mail or PM the people concerned with an explanation. Also it would be nice to be able to give negative rep without the come backs.
    Hmm tbh thats a rather out of order comment as you know fine well we try to meet the requirements of our members, maybe if we are going for the cash we should stop spending thousands and thousands on BETT and conferences?! that would save a hell of a lot of cash as we are seen as money grabbing now anyway. I get pretty annoyed when I see people getting aggrivated at EduGeek and funding, you have been to events in the past as well! Maybe we should just shut up shop and call it a day as actually making money for the time spent is a crime now adays....
    Yes there are problems with posts/threads/mods/actions etc LIKE any organisation but on the whole we try help as much as we can and we are trying to improve, remember edugeek is growing very fast and like anything we have growing pains. Also to assume each time a thread is removed/edited and you personally/publically told why is because a company told us to is silly to say the least. You do NOT know all the facts that go on behind the scenes and generally when your not told there is a GOOD reason. I am not repeating myself again from when you last made similar posts but should we get members sacked by not removing the threads etc?!?! and we do stand up to companies btw, you would know this if you were a mod but we cant easily publically state all the reasons why things are done.
    But yeh in some areas yes more information should be given but to take a slant against us being all about the money is harsh to say the least and uncalled for. Yes we make money now, accept that. Please PM me examples of how we are only about the money and how we dont invest huge amounts of personal time into the site...
    Everyone wants a free ride it appears, you ironically boasted to me about how you were going to block all edugeek ad's as you felt you didnt want to support us, we could have banned you then as you technically have no direct $ value. I could write some scripts to detect attempts to block ad's and lock you out of the site but we dont...
    I have seen a few of these threads come up as time went on and as we got bigger and bigger and all I see is needless jelousy and its usually unsubstatiated *feelings* about how we only grab the money so I am calling those who say we are money grabbers to please pm me examples how when we spend large amounts of cash to offer things for free (unlike all our competitors) we are just in it for the money. Hell this year we are trying to have more conferences and events then ever before but I dont think we should bother now.

Ohh how I feel valued now as a money grabber....

/Rant over...

Please dont feel I *just* targeted you FN as this more for all users that see us in this light as well and rather then repeating myself with many quotes etc I thought I would try to answer the points there.

11. 13 Thanks to ZeroHour:

Domino (27th January 2010), Dos_Box (27th January 2010), garethedmondson (27th January 2010), GrumbleDook (27th January 2010), john (27th January 2010), maniac (27th January 2010), markwatkins (27th January 2010), Soulfish (27th January 2010), SYNACK (27th January 2010), SYSMAN_MK (27th January 2010), vikpaw (31st January 2010), webman (27th January 2010), witch (27th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Without wishing to comment on individual post, I must admit I am surprised whenever the money topic surfaces. EG could have sold out a while ago and as far as I can see a lot of money is directed back to the good of the membership. I have no idea how expensive BETT and conferences are but I bet the are bloody expensive to run. Money that the owners of lesser sites would stick in their pocket

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,255 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Also, notice how you don't get any spam from an edugeek sign up?

imagine what companies would pay for a database of purely technical decision makers' email adresses

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I never understand why money is bought up in these things. It's non of our business really as we dont have to pay to use this brilliant community!

15. 4 Thanks to Little-Miss:

BatchFile (27th January 2010), laserblazer (27th January 2010), markwatkins (27th January 2010), mattx (27th January 2010)

Thank Post
    @ZeroHour and FN-GM:

I don't agree with the comment regarding finances. I'm happy and somewhat proud that this site makes money while providing a valuable resource for me and many others. Hell, I'd even pay a subscription (see the supporter tag under my member name!)

What I do agree with is the devalued status of members.
    I've only been here a relatively short amount of time compared to some of you (registered in 2005), but I've noticed a huge sway in how members are treated - both by other members and to a certain extent Mods and Admins. As I commented on Page 1, it's now apparent that this site is "yours" rather than "ours".....

There shouldn't be such clear divisions between God/Admin/Mod and Supporter/Member - we should work for eachother.

Thank Post
    As quite a new member i obviously cant comment on time before i joined, but i havent felt this site is about money making at all.

Ive generally felt very welcome and even knowing not as knowledgeable as most members i still feel comfortable adding to a post.

My point is it does very much feel like a great community to be a part of.

Just my view anyway.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    To clarify what sophos incident was.

Many moons ago a young member of staff managed to convince a young lawyer that they should send some stop notices to the 'geek' over some threads. Anyway once the bosses found out they played hell with said staff and withdrew the action. Maybe something to do with a Reg story.

I still remember phone call from Graham at Sophos i was replying to an email over matter to rest of admins when call came through.

Thank Post
    Now I don't usually enter in to these threads as I usually have better things to do but I for one must say that I am quite happy with EduGeek and if they do some money making initiatives to keep it going and thrive..Great, could not think of how I would survive in this job without you guys. Mods are necessary in forums to keep things sane as some people just don't know the line not to cross these days (I know as being a mod on another forum), if people are sensible we should not know they are there and this very thread would not have been necessary in the first place! If any of this post is just a replication of other views in this thread...sorry, but I just don't have the time to read them all. Thats my two peneth anyway (two pennies..suppose that dates me a bit!)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries

21. 2 Thanks to Dos_Box:

powdarrmonkey (27th January 2010), vikpaw (31st January 2010)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread