+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General EduGeek News/Announcements Thread, Straw Poll: How close is the BECTA Technical Competencies framework Poll in EduGeek Stuff; Hi Can you take your time to fill in this quick straw poll for us. Just need a general view ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Wink Straw Poll: How close is the BECTA Technical Competencies framework Poll

Hi

Can you take your time to fill in this quick straw poll for us. Just need a general view of how on target the framework is.

twtpoll :: IT Support Staff: How close is the BECTA Technical Competencies framework (http://bit.ly/OwOm9) to your job. On a scale of 1 to 10. (via )

This is first of many things going to be asking in next few weeks to do with 'workforce', job descriptions and a like.

Russ

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Im not really sure what youre asking.

I took the BECTA survey, answered as below. But my title was just "IT Assistant" and there was just 2 of us, me and the "IT Manager". I did way more stuff than just an "IT Assistant" as the graph shows.

3. Thanks to RabbieBurns from:

russdev (16th July 2009)

Thank Post
    I think it might be fine for techs in senior schools in a more proscribed environment but in a primary/junior/middle you have a huge range of responsibilities in some areas that maybe wouldn't be expected of an IT technician, but on the other hand, there is possibly less expertise in other areas.
    My results were all over the place

5. Thanks to silver from:

russdev (16th July 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 749 Posts
    I don't think you can cover the long list of duties and tasks which schools place upon their IT staff in a couple of job Titles.

Again it is the Governments way of de-skilling IT in education so they don't have to pay the going rate for expertise.

The position of NM for instance is so far reaching and requires lots more management skills than most other support staff positions as he is dealing with whole school issues not just the ICT suites, e-security, data protection, AUPs, Budgets, DRPs, Criminal damage, Negligence issues, Strategies etc to name but a few.

Senior Technician:
    needs very good hardware and software skills as well as a good knowledge of everything that is going on around the school, he deals with PR, website, room booking, other junior technicians, servers and clients, outside agencies etc.

Junior Tech:
    Nowadays needs already to have a good IT knowledge base as well as self discipline and good communication skills etc.

I don't think any of these points are covered in detail by BECTA except to pigeon hole people and to keep pay awards down as they do not feel we quite belong in the professional education scheme of things.

7. 2 Thanks to bossman:

russdev (16th July 2009), webman (15th July 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Problem is that no matter what you like it most la have 3 or 4 job titles and we have to out people into each job title.

As for BECTA and money think maybe wrong as that is not there remit that is remit of unions and the school support staff working party.

The reality is that we need a framework for job descriptions and the jobs as you going to need a framework that national working party needs to base the job and grades on.

All I can say at moment there is reason I am asking this and watch this space over the next few months.

Russ

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I don't mean to be negative towards anyone or anything on a personal level with regards to that; but I do wonder - what is the point in all of this if we're all going to be TUPE'd into private companies anyway who are free to ignore Becta?

According to the self-assessment, I'm overall at level D; yet my role is officially that of just 'ICT Technician'. I imagine a lot of us here are in a similar situation - doing quite a lot of work in various areas, but keeping the title, description and pay of a role with a lot less responsibility.
    Last edited by webman; 15th July 2009 at 02:37 PM.

10. 2 Thanks to webman:

bossman (15th July 2009), russdev (16th July 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    I don't mean to be negative towards anyone or anything on a personal level with regards to that; but I do wonder - what is the point in all of this if we're all going to be TUPE'd into private companies anyway who are free to ignore Becta?
    You don't need to be TUPE'd to ignore BECTA; schools already pick & choose which bits of BECTA advice to follow & what to ignore.

e.g. BECTA advice on computer:technician ratios comes to mind

12. Thanks to broc from:

russdev (16th July 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post
    You don't need to be TUPE'd to ignore BECTA; schools already pick & choose which bits of BECTA advice to follow & what to ignore.

e.g. BECTA advice on computer:technician ratios comes to mind
    That's exactly right; and something I'm sure I've mentioned on here at least once over the years and many times to colleagues and other professionals in discussions.

As Becta only seem to peddle "guidelines", schools can cherry-pick what takes their fancy when it suits them, and selectively ignore the ones they don't like; effectively making it all useless. Your reference about computer to technician ratio is a prime example of ones they like to ignore.

14. Thanks to webman from:

russdev (16th July 2009)

Thank Post
    I am sure we can all rest assured; the BECTA computer:technician ratio will be ignored by MSPs too, as will BECTAs advice that wireless networks complement wired networks, not replace

16. 3 Thanks to broc:

bossman (15th July 2009), russdev (16th July 2009), webman (15th July 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Right lets forget trust schools for a minute etc.

Your all forgetting two fudemnetal things in next couple of years the single uk pay scale for support staff comes online. The main thing is that if single pay scheme with single set of job descriptions then when get tuped you have a basis for your job. Also remember people coming back in frome the managed service in the future and all the schools who won't be tuped for a while yet.

This is time to think bigger picture past BSF almost but also BECTA often in there projects try to get people Like rm and northgate to adopt these standards.

Also lets say Support staff Schools Working party adopts the becta framework then heads will have no choice but to use it as it will be law.

As said this time to stop thinking on school level and think about the bigger picture.

Russ

18. Thanks to russdev from:

webman (15th July 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by russdev View Post
    Right lets forget trust schools for a minute etc.

Your all forgetting two fudemnetal things in next couple of years the single uk pay scale for support staff comes online. ...

Russ
    Is that an actual UK pay scale, or an England and Wales thing?

20. Thanks to RabbieBurns from:

russdev (16th July 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 749 Posts
    @russdev:

Russ really good of you to keep us informed of what BECTA is trying to achieve but I for one do not think that it is in our best interest. As professionals we are disregarded in the educational framework because it is always going to be teacher centric no matter what BECTA or anyone else does.

Teachers like to rule the educational roost and they will always deem it their domain and no other professionals need apply cos it upsets them to learn that there are other professionals who are quite adept at doing their role as well as there own.

I feel like many on here, that we are classed as a necessary evil within the educational environment because we are technical people and teaching professionals do not understand many of the concepts which go with that role.

22. 2 Thanks to bossman:

russdev (16th July 2009), spc-rocket (18th February 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes, thanks Russ.

If that is the case, then their intentions are honourable; however the cynic in me says it will be of little benefit to us, in real terms, in the long run. As Bossman says, a single scale for us probably won't work (at least not in our favour) because our roles are so varied and unique in comparison to teachers, for example. If the single pay scale doesn't account for this we're all doomed.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You know what I did say uk wide sorry it is England only at moment at Wales and Scotland are controlled by your local parliament when it comes to education (you lot wanted devolution).

But key here is like with teachers if England has single term and conditions then there will be political pressure for Wales and Scotland to join it.

Right again bigger picture time why do you think things are teacher centric in schools give you a clue (they have a national pay scale) that is only reason that culture has developed. Even teacherís do things not in their job description but point is by having a national scale you get few other benefits.

First is it means there are national terms and conditions. So for example you know when head promises youíre annual reviews for support and it doesnít happen hopefully it will be law they have to run it with you. We are at start of the journey like teacher unions where few years back.

Also annual pay increases are made easier to negotiate for unions in your favour. Again I know that people are dishearten about BSF but when it comes to it that is glitch in the road people need to think bigger than next few years and the long term.

But as I said to Tony last night we are use to being criticised for what we do and then thanked two years later for doing it.

While this not aimed at anyone on this thread as such. You have a choice you sit back and do nothing and then have no right to moan in the future or you try and take part in the system so at least we have had view voiced and then if we are not listen to then you have right to moan.

Taking into account that a framework is needed no matter what as that is way world works (sorry in cloud cuckoo land if you think you can't every other industry has one).

How do you make it flexible enough for to be of use but also keep it a framework so that it can be used for political stuff like national term and conditions etc.

Russ

25. 2 Thanks to russdev:

beeswax (16th July 2009), leco (16th July 2009)

Thank Post
    I for one have been waiting, although not holding my breath, for a National Pay body ever since I started working in a school. Believe me that is a very long time.

My comment on the Becta framework: It does give an indication of the breadth and depth of not only the tasks I undertake but also my knowledge of such tasks. Indeed I insisted that my latest job description was based on said framework. Doesn't make a great deal of difference to my pay scale, I am still an ICT Technicican, the word Manage was removed from most of the indicators.

ICT related jobs in Primary schools, in my area at least, are very different from those in the Secondary sector. It is a similar case when looking at Support staff in general. A Learning Mentor for example, has very different stress and pressure in Special or Secondary schools than in a "nice" Primary like mine.

Thank you for allowing us to make comments, I look forward to the eventual outcomes.

27. Thanks to leco from:

russdev (16th July 2009)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast