+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
General EduGeek News/Announcements Thread, New Feature - EduGeek Outlet in EduGeek Stuff; Originally Posted by sparkeh Must admit I am a little surprised at this move, the site seemingly endorsing one brand ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,154 Times in 982 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Must admit I am a little surprised at this move, the site seemingly endorsing one brand and one sponsor over the others. Personally I won't use Acer again and would rather contact a company like CPLTD to get the best deal across the whole range of brands available.

I understand that the site would do everything it can to get the best deal for its members, and in reality its nothing to do with me, just surprised is all.
    That is why we went with just one brand, and one that does not step on the toes of our current sponsors. You want free conferences? Well I'm afraid it costs, and currently we need to explore several avenues we had previously not seen the need in. The conf in May will costs us about 5-6k all in and currently the bank is bare.
    Besides, this may lead to something that is beneficial to all of our reseller sponsors once we have banged our heads together a few more times.
    There are 70,392,567 websites in the world according to wikianswers.com, currently we sit at number 100,081 (according to alexa.com) and will advance a bit higher (ZH estimates into about the 75,000s) at the next revision. This costs us (by us I mean me) a LOT of money. If you knew our actual running costs and yearly expenditure it would take a few of you to club together your annual wages and donate them to the cause. Any volunteers? or would you like to to worry about all of this side of things? We do have to walk a fine line, but one thing I will not do is sell you all out. We get many offers for access to our user database, often for quite large sums of money, or offers to flood the forums with ads, or paid membership schemes, but never one have we even looked at doing any of this. So to keep going we have to look at things in ways that may look strange to you, but are often implemented after long, late night MSN discussions between all of the admins and mods to ensure we don't dump on our members. We have not taken any choice away from you by partnering up with Acer Outlet, just exploring an option for ensuring we can still support you in the future.

2. 7 Thanks to Dos_Box:

CPLTD (13th February 2009), john (13th February 2009), powdarrmonkey (13th February 2009), Soulfish (14th February 2009), sparkeh (13th February 2009), stratisphere (15th February 2009), vikpaw (14th February 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 1,143 Posts

Thumbs up

Here here DB.

@Sparkeh - you can't look at it as endorsement. Acer is much like the other sponsors we have. The difference here is that the relationship is negotiated and offers us members the opportunity of long term ongoing deals with this supplier.

We're all free to pick and choose from other suppliers, and i'm sure in the future there may even be more outlets, or validated sponsors in a central EduGeek outlet.

Just think of all our buying power channeled through one body (EG), able to ensure that the customers (us) are able to get a good deal, and have a channel for recourse if the service isn't up to scratch.

I think carefully done, it's a really good thing.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts
    I will add, that I personally have not been impresse with what I have heard in the past about Acer, but I trust DB and Acer Man to ensure that this works, and as such will hopefully (fingers and finance permitting) be placing an order with him for a server in the next few days (just finishing some paper pushing and planning first). I wouldn't normally be putting trust in Acer for a Server after reading and hearing of the many problems of the past, but am confident that this arrangement with Edugeek will be a good one, and I trust Acer Man when he says that if it goes tits up that he will kick Acer's backside with and for us to get it sorted, so if I am putting that trust in them when my name and reputation is on the line (as I'm known for my amazingly reliable kit spec's and installs hence my use of HP Proliants in everything in the past) so I would hope others will also now do the same.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,624 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    For starters can you send one to a v.special mod. () the witch has been crying cos she didn't get one, and now i feel guilty
    Sorry Vikpaw - didn't see this post before - thanks sweetie

I look forward to my mug - mind you, I work in two schools and I wouldn't want to break my mug carrying it from place to place and I have been waiting a very very long time for the prize I legitimately won, and I am a very nice person and and and...
    maybe I deserve two?

Thank Post
    Have had Acer laptops and a few computers in the past and they were rubbish. Poor quality. HP any day and failing them i would resort to Dell.

I understand this site needs to pay it's bills so i can understand where the mods are coming from when they do things like this. After all i don't have to pay for the site to keep running out of my own pocket.

One thing though. Explaining that you have had offers for user information from the site and that you would never consider giving it out is something that needs not be said. I have not inspected the site's terms and conditions and am no expert in law but that sounds like it would land you in court should you even have that in the back of your mind as an option. It is not something to use to justify your honesty. No offense meant.

It is a great site and a great resource for those in education. I admit though i am not a great poster here and i do adblock all of the adverts on the site and rather enjoy the "by blocking ads you play into the hands of BSF" thingy as it makes me smile, don't know why.

I block all ads for all sites and if a site goes under because it can't pay the bills then so be it. Hopefully if the members here liked the site enough they would all chip in and you would not need these sycophantic sales people posting how lovely they are all the time and how they care about us and our problems . Dislike sales people really and after years of hearing them say the same things it gets old.

Just my thoughts, no offense to anyone intended.

Nitey night.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Had bad Acers ... and some good Acers. I prefer Dells and Macs myself and would have no objection to outlets for them either to be honest.

Then again, I don't really have a need for spending personal cash right now and have to go through the, very rigorous, LA Procurement Policy that means I can't use it anyway :-(

To be honest, it doesn't matter who DB partners with, there will be concerns raised by someone. It's the nature of the game to some extent :-(

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dalsoth View Post
    Have had Acer laptops and a few computers in the past and they were rubbish. Poor quality. HP any day and failing them i would resort to Dell.

I understand this site needs to pay it's bills so i can understand where the mods are coming from when they do things like this. After all i don't have to pay for the site to keep running out of my own pocket.

One thing though. Explaining that you have had offers for user information from the site and that you would never consider giving it out is something that needs not be said. I have not inspected the site's terms and conditions and am no expert in law but that sounds like it would land you in court should you even have that in the back of your mind as an option. It is not something to use to justify your honesty. No offense meant.

It is a great site and a great resource for those in education. I admit though i am not a great poster here and i do adblock all of the adverts on the site and rather enjoy the "by blocking ads you play into the hands of BSF" thingy as it makes me smile, don't know why.

I block all ads for all sites and if a site goes under because it can't pay the bills then so be it. Hopefully if the members here liked the site enough they would all chip in and you would not need these sycophantic sales people posting how lovely they are all the time and how they care about us and our problems . Dislike sales people really and after years of hearing them say the same things it gets old.

Just my thoughts, no offense to anyone intended.

Nitey night.
    Nice. It makes it all worthwhile! OK. the 2 points I've highlighted, firstly the issue about sites selling your information. If you believe all web sites have the integrity to keep your information private think again. Many web sites you sign up to will happily sell off your info for a few quid, even more so in an environment where the vast bulk of addresses link directly to people who control or make the decisions for the spending of many thousands of pounds regular school budgets. EduGeek is heavily scrutinised from many sources for it's integrity, and occasionally I have to reiterate our position on such things.

Secondly thanks, it's nice to know that we are just a passing fad to be stripped of free information until exhausted then cast aside. We need the ads to stay operating. We started on a 7.99 per month hosting package but are now spread over several dedicated servers which cost thousands to run. We have contemplated asking for donations to keep running, and still have the option to donate on the site, but the problem is that we are supposed to be free and asking people to 'pay' for this is a bit cheeky don't you think? Besides, it still would not raise the funds necessary. Could you name me another niche community which lies up into the top few percent of web sites that relies totally on donations to keep going?

Anyway, it's 3am, I'm tired and cranky, my kids have got me out of bed and I can't get back to sleep and I have to answer a post advertising a position of indifference *sigh*
    Fine, use the site, block the ads and work out the irony of getting something for nothing whilst letting someone else worry about where the funds to run the site come from.
    Last edited by vikpaw; 15th February 2009 at 06:22 AM. Reason: sorry typos - 'twas late!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    And perhaps these laptop reviews should prove useful:

Latest Reviews - PC Advisor

PC Pro: Browse Companies

Computer Shopper: Browse Companies

Personal Computer World - search

Search | TechRadar UK

If you look, it's very uncommon that Acer laptops now score less than 4 out of 5. As for support, I currently have an important work laptop in with HP for over 2 weeks now as they wait for a delivery of new keyboards to the UK, and whilst I am assured Acer have sorted out the support problems they had in the past, it's not just them that sometime 'hiccup' with particular issues.
    Last edited by vikpaw; 15th February 2009 at 06:18 AM. Reason: typo

10. Thanks to Dos_Box from:

acer-man (16th February 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 1,143 Posts

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Sorry Vikpaw - didn't see this post before - thanks sweetie

I look forward to my mug - mind you, I work in two schools and I wouldn't want to break my mug carrying it from place to place and I have been waiting a very very long time for the prize I legitimately won, and I am a very nice person and and and...
    maybe I deserve two?
    sorry did u say something..?
    ooh, i can here a fiddle on the wind...

Thank Post

Thumbs up

Nice post DB. (Not meant sarcastic!!)

You are right; this is an excellent resource for IT experts in education... most likely the only true unbiased source as well. (As far as unbiased members go! :P)

Personally, I wouldn’t like your job of running the site. As you've said, there are alit of problems... most likely political and financial by the sound of it... but I think you're doing a great job.

As a first step, the idea of an outlet is great. Personally not sure about the brand choice... but each person to their own. It would be great if in the future, the brand choice could be expanded. Perhaps a dedicated person from each brand/supplier with their own "sub site". But having all product information in standard format... therefore we can actually compare things.

Anyway, that’s just a random thought.

Just wanted to say though, I realise the tough decisions you and the other admins face in the day-to-day running of this site. And I’d like to say thank you for sticking with us and keeping this excellent resource open and free.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Nice. It makes it all worthwhile! OK. the 2 points I've highlighted, firstly the issue about sites selling your information. If you believe all web sites have the integrity to keep your information private think again. Many web sites you sign up to will happily sell off your info for a few quid, even more so in an environment where the vast bulk of addresses link directly to people who control or make the decisions for the spending of many thousands of pounds regular school budgets. EduGeek is heavily scrutinised from many sources for it's integrity, and occasionally I have to reiterate our position on such things.
    I agree, there are many times i have signed up to a site which claims my details will not be passed on only to find my mailbox spammed to hell the next day for similar products. Never said you would do such a thing just thought it strange that you should mention it. I can agree though that with so many users of the site you may feel the need to point out your integrity. It's sad that you should have to. As i said there was no offense intended but can understand that on the internet it is sometimes hard to gauge the way something comes across. If i had said this person to person we would probably be having a joke about it. Ah well nm.

Secondly thanks, it's nice to know that we are just a passing fad to be stripped of free information until exhausted then cast aside. We need the ads to stay operating. We started on a 7.99 per month hosting package but are now spread over several dedicated servers which cost thousands to run. We have contemplated asking for donations to keep running, and still have the option to donate on the site, but the problem is that we are supposed to be free and asking people to 'pay' for this is a bit cheeky don't you think? Besides, it still would not raise the funds necessary. Could you name me another niche community which lies up into the top few percent of web sites that relies totally on donations to keep going?
    Hey i never said running a site and balancing the books was easy, total respect to you and your team for doing that. I would not do it myself as i would not want the hassle and problems that come with it. If i used the site 24/7 and mined it for information on a daily basis i would definitely pay a membership subscription to help out. I have done that on Certforums because i feel i have gained so much valuable help just lurking there.

I won't apologise for blocking adverts on the internet as i dislike them. I am being honest and at least you are getting that from me. I could just post how wonderful the site is and pretend i click the banners every day to help generate cash but that would be silly. I don't have a solution really for the problem of running sites such as these and still managing to keep everything afloat. As i said, respect to you for doing it for so long. Perhaps give Roman Abramovic a call?

If i was a 10,000 poster perhaps i would care more about the people behind the sites i visit on the internet. It doesn't really keep me up at night worrying if yahoo or googlemail will be able to stay afloat because i use adblock. The internet is a great resource and where one site dies another will come along. You may take offense at that statement because you have a personal investment in this site but i am just an internet user who visits this site now and again. More so lately because i am studying and when bored, come and look on here at any interesting or funny posts. Sorry if this annoys you. I don't intend to wind up the site owner, just stating how i feel on a public forum.

Anyway, it's 3am, I'm tired and cranky, my kids have got me out of bed and I can't get back to sleep and I have to answer a post advertising a position of indifference *sigh*
    Fine, use the site, block the ads and work out the irony of getting something for nothing whilst letting someone else worry about where the funds to run the site come from.
    Answered this above and i won't take offense at the remarks as i can see your point of view.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries
    dalsoth - still seems like a poor position to have. If this site went down, it would be a great loss, and 'another coming along' would not contain all the information and expertise that has built up.

Even if people didn't post anything any more, the site would be an invaluable resource and worth keeping going.

Also, the adverts on this site have on occasion been a good source of offers. Blocking them seems a bit silly really. I take it you never read your local free papers?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,339 Times in 727 Posts
    Have to agree that this place is worth its posts in gold. To think that only 3 years ago you had places like the TES ICT forum and Google groups to discuss topics on. Now there is an almost 12,000 member community, and when to take into consideration the fact that it’s quite a niche community that is some achievement.

I myself have found a great home here and have made some great work contacts and suppliers plus some good friends. It is because of the friendliness and community of this site that I have enjoyed contributing things like the Joomla Package and graphic work, and the same reason that a great many other talented members do the same, sharing their software, policies and knowledge.

There will always be people who only see Edugeek as a forum, and that is fine but it is has become much more, and this down to the hard work and dedication of the admins and members.

Yes people have had bad experiences with Acer, but I am sure that if it was Dell or HP up there people would be complaining of their experiences, and also even more talk of selling out.

I have purchased the odd Acer laptop for work and have not had an issue. I’ll be honest and say that I will stay with what I know and continue to use Dell where I can. But others who use Acer will find it a great resource.

If something like this helps pay the bills and keeps this place going then so be it. It is not like the site is pushing the fact with adverts for it everywhere, there is a single button that you can choose to click.

16. 4 Thanks to SYSMAN_MK:

dalsoth (15th February 2009), john (15th February 2009), kmount (15th February 2009), localzuk (15th February 2009)

Thank Post
    I agree with SYSMAN_MK completely.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    dalsoth - still seems like a poor position to have. If this site went down, it would be a great loss, and 'another coming along' would not contain all the information and expertise that has built up.
    Agree it would be a great loss, never said otherwise. Explain how my position is poor though. Should i concern myself about every site on the internet and how i can support them? Nope. I'm just an internet user and won't be forced into feeling sorry for that. I pay for my internet connection, perhaps i should pay for every site that i visit. I also have strong views on net neutrality .

I replied originally as i thought it was strange that peoples personal data was being brought into the thread. As a low poster, i was a bit worried that it was mentioned as my email details etc are stored here. I do feel though that Dos_Box would not do such a thing. More so after seeing his reply.

Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Even if people didn't post anything any more, the site would be an invaluable resource and worth keeping going.

Also, the adverts on this site have on occasion been a good source of offers. Blocking them seems a bit silly really. I take it you never read your local free papers?
    I never click or buy anything from popups or adverts placed in websites i visit. If i wish to buy a computer i will go to a computer website. I don't need to be brainwashed into buying a coca cola because i am looking at a recipe site. I think you will find millions will agree with me there. Live your life your way, i will live mine my way. I'm happy, i hope you are too.

If the site requires me to visit the adverts or quit i will quit. Please let me know if that is the case.

I do not read newspapers, i read a few online papers such as the Times, Telegraph, etc... Perhaps i should worry that they will go under as i am not paying them anything.... . I live in a country where it will be soon impossible to breath without being taxed. How i choose to live my life is not really your concern and i hope you have better things to do than to worry about me.

It's silly to not read adverts? Do you actually believe that? Just because i do not live my life the way you do does not make me "wrong" in any way. I am not a dalek. Your opinion of me matters little as i am happy.

I do not intend to argue with anyone on here, just stating my own outlook on things. If that is not allowed let me know i will skidaddle off no hard feelings. The world is a better place when people of different views can discuss things in a sensible manner without things turning ugly

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast