+ Post New Thread
General EduGeek News/Announcements Thread, Becta Launches New Emerging Technologies Website in EduGeek Stuff; Well the title says it all.... Becta have launched a new website at Becta Emerging Technologies which is kind of ...

Thank Post

Post Becta Launches New Emerging Technologies Website

Well the title says it all.... Becta have launched a new website at Becta Emerging Technologies which is kind of an extension of their TechNews publication that you may already have heard about.

Retired-admin Grumbledook and I were talking to the TechNews editor (I'm sure Mr G will correct me if I'm wrong with that title) and he was very excited about this.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,890 Times in 1,170 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Becta's Tech News has been around for some time now and actually fits some of the same bill our BETT supplement does. I would recommend that reading some of the back issues too.

They are open to ideas for articles and whilst a number of our articles are more down the technology line, Becta's Tech News gives a good grounding on the implementation / impact in schools.

Feel free to drop them a line and let them know what you think of the site (and the articles).

Thank Post
    Emerging.. oh joy .. yet more encouragement for folk to spend more money they don't have turning systems they only just got reasonably settled/stable into next years headache.

OK that's a bit mean but there are so many technical "visions" floating about and they all seem to get automatically filed under "learning enhancement". Where's the hard evidence to show they will enhance anything besides some tech-co's profits?

If this new BECTA site also manages to address that rather than simply gushing over every shiny new trend, then good.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,890 Times in 1,170 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The site is new ... revamped ... improved ... the articles have been going for some time.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I think site is good trying to see where the site comes in.

As an example a lot of new technologies I hear about come from twitter.

So is it case of people like myself & Tony hear about them and then becta site picks them up for the masses to see.

Also am I being daft

The url below reads like an intro but cant see the full article.

Becta Emerging Technologies - Learners - Should We Leave Them To Their Own Devices? (John Traxler, Learning Lab)

Russ

Thank Post
    Some of the articles are excellent. I don't think they are ther for people to spend money but to keep people informed. Sorry PiqueABoo I think your wrong.

A part of Bectas role is to inform. Part of a technicans role is to keep updated. You already do this by logging on here, why not give it a try.

Being informed allows you to contribute, the more sources of information you have then the more knowledge.

So when the head comes in and says we have just bought this, you can say yes I know about it and point them in the direction of the articles, inform them of any know issues or benefits, etc. You never know they may ask you next time before they buy!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 761 Posts
    Am I being dense or are there no RSS feeds for the articles? If not I'll drop them an email to suggest it, but want to make sure I'm not missing something...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread