+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General EduGeek News/Announcements Thread, Positional Statement: Managed Services Doc Views Wanted in EduGeek Stuff; you see problem is bsf comes with massiave amount of private funding?? Russell...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Positional Statement: Managed Services Doc Views Wanted

you see problem is bsf comes with massiave amount of private funding??

Russell

Thank Post

Good document Russ. Really. I think there has to be an informed balance in this particular debate between making sure that schools have adequate and sound ICT support (and if they have none then managed services are a God-send), and also providing fast response and personalised support locally (enter technician and NM). Personally I think BSF will fail to deliver centralised support services- and probably in a big way. What it's looking like is a massive knee-jerk reaction to the way ICT in education is heading without any kind of framework of skills or consistent policy. And that ties in with BECTAs framework (FITS), Competencies, and the NAACE discussion nicely doesn't it?

All in, I think what you have put forward in the document is a sound appraisal of where we- ICT staff in schools- are at with regards to BSF and offer a balanced look at where BSF or managed services could benefit and where localised support could augment or supplant that. If I'd read it correctly. Which I may not have. It's been a long day at the school and I'm knackered!

Paul ;-)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

no you read it right...

by way must give credit where credit is due i wrote first draft and Tony editted it made it better

Russ

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries

Damn ... and there was me hoping to keep in the background ... now I have to share the blame.

richard

Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook
    Damn ... and there was me hoping to keep in the background ... now I have to share the blame.
    Hey Tony,

You are probably one the most influential and respected @techies@ out there so do go selling yourself short I just wish that there were more like you out their then people would have to sit up at take notice of what we have to say.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook
    sorry

Russ

Thank Post

The document is fair; how about some real world examples showing how far some schools have advanced in ICT?

I would also send a copy to Partnership for Schools too as they are the people calling the shots regarding Managed Services. I think Partnership for Schools (and their 'backers') do not understand how advanced some schools are. I suspect there is a belief that many/most schools are bumbling along, still running old PCs, down level O/S, lacking vision, innovation etc.

But, I believe we have to accept the inevitable, Partnership for Schools will get their own way , and schools will have managed ICT services whether they like it or not.

The crucial thing now is to ensure the quality of service for the leading edge schools is not sacrificed for the sake of those schools that have chosen to under-invest in ICT in recent years.

Schools need to have a very clear idea of what they want the managed service provider to deliver, and accept that this will come at a price. We need to play our part in BSF, whether we like it or not. We need to help our schools get the best they can from the managed service while at the same time safeguarding our own employment prospects, this may be a tricky course to navigate!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12