+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General EduGeek News/Announcements Thread, Polite reminder in EduGeek Stuff; I'm with Unison, my parents are nurses so they were part of them, my dad was a rep. When i ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm with Unison, my parents are nurses so they were part of them, my dad was a rep. When i went to do nurse training i joined them and have been with them ever since.

I used to get really paranoid when i was first on here at my old job, all i did was moan. But since then i've found out a certain ex boss let themself into my facebook account. I know they havent got massive security, but to take the time to "hack" into my account is really sad!

I think what upset them most is the fact it said "little miss has left her job as ICT Technician/Dogsbody at .......school.

2. Thanks to Little-Miss from:

speckytecky (14th October 2008)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Disease View Post
    I hate unions. The only people shop stewards are interested in is themselves.
    I hate generalisation

My wife is a Unison shop steward, my father was an Engineering Union shop steward for many years before he retired.

I know they both work(ed) hard for their members......

4. Thanks to broc from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    I joined VOICE because they are a non-striking union. When Unison had their last strike we were given guidelines on what we should and shouldn't do tocover those staff who were absent.

Voice - The union for education professionals

One thing how do you join voice was looking on website but doesn't say where and who can sign up.

*Edit*

Scrap that just seen it..

Russ

6. Thanks to russdev from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post
    I hate generalisation

My wife is a Unison shop steward, my father was an Engineering Union shop steward for many years before he retired.

I know they both work(ed) hard for their members......
    Michael Martin MP and John Prescott MP both who have lined their own pockets under the guise of helping the common poor worker.

Arthur Scargill to name another, didnt really see him struggling for money ofter the miners strikes.

Unions are like pyramid selling schemes.
    Last edited by Disease; 13th October 2008 at 01:19 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,294 Times in 1,693 Posts
    This thread discusses the pros and cons of union membership at length... and covers who joined what:

Unions - do we need them and who is in one?

9. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,322 Times in 812 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    I used to get really paranoid when i was first on here at my old job, all i did was moan. But since then i've found out a certain ex boss let themself into my facebook account. I know they havent got massive security, but to take the time to "hack" into my account is really sad!
    errrr..that's highly questionable.....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Disease View Post
    Michael Martin MP and John Prescott MP both who have lined their own pockets under the guise of helping the common poor worker.

Arthur Scargill to name another, didnt really see him struggling for money ofter the miners strikes.

Unions are like pyramid selling schemes.
    I don't think it is fair or reasonable to dismiss all union officials as being self interested because of the alleged behaviour of a few; any more than it is to say all bankers are money-grabbing and only interested in their own bonuses even if it means driving their employers into liquidation...

12. Thanks to broc from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post
    I don't think it is fair or reasonable to dismiss all union officials as being self interested because of the alleged behaviour of a few; any more than it is to say all bankers are money-grabbing and only interested in their own bonuses even if it means driving their employers into liquidation...

*** Crosses Bankers off Target list***

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Its sad to see you go Jake, the forum will be less commical in your absence. I do hope that you can find a way around your oppressers and continue to participate in some way.

Thank Post
    Whilst i guess details cannot be discussed, can somebody fill me into what caused this thread to be made? Whats gone on?

Thank Post
    To sum it up,

I made a thread with a query on a problem we were having with a certain piece of well known school management software. I began the thread with a somewhat tongue in cheek rant at an unnamed member of staff, as a lighthearted prelude to the more serious portion of my post (As of course many of you are aware, I tend towards the lighthearted quite often).

I am very careful never to name names, or indeed even give the name of my school, or even my county. So there were no identifiers involved.

However, there are maybe 3 people on here who actually know who and where I work. So it doesnt take a rocket scientist to work out who did what follows..

Someone at our LA, printed out the thread, and passed it to the school in an unstamped envelope, which was then shown to the unnamed member of staff. Which of course has left me in alot of hot water, despite the fact that I used no names, and did nothing more really than the forum equivalent of talking down the pub to a mate about my day.

There are further issues as to what I have been using Edugeek for, in relation to the management software in question, but thats a seperate issue really.

Where it will go from here, I do not yet know. To be blindingly honest my work morale was pretty much at a deepened low before this morning, so this has simply smashed my morale through the floor. At the moment, the french foreign legion is looking mighty inviting.

I guess this is the final post by Jake, you've been a great and often useful bunch, helped to solve alot of varied issues and more importantly given me a way to talk openly with my peers who work in the same industry and are familiar with the same issues, frustrations and unique situations that we find ourselves in. Sadly it seems that being able to talk openly, perhaps emotionally, even if in jest, is no longer allowed in the UK, so for fear of my every post being watched like a hawk now I must bid you all adieu.

/salute
    /end
    Last edited by Jake; 13th October 2008 at 05:20 PM.

17. Thanks to Jake from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Someone at our LA, printed out the thread, and passed it to the school in an unstamped envelope, which was then shown to the unnamed member of staff.
    Good grief... How very brave of them..

I guess at the end of the day it's a valuable lesson that needed learning. This place is open to everyone and anyone and if you've managed to make enemies then your own words can be used against you.

Either way, best of luck...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,750 Posts
    I thought Jake's NM was on here (or sub ordinate, sorry I can't remember which)

Didn't anyone fight for him and express an opinion as to how useful Edugeek is to the hard working and hard-pressed tech?

I did think his 'rant' was maybe a little OTT but given that most of us have no idea who or where he is, I can't see that anything more than a slap on the wrist and a 'back in your cage, Jake' was really needed - not even that really

Thank Post

Gutted

How sad a place the world can be at times.

I have a group of 4-5 techie friends, we often caht together in IRC in the evenings discussing work headaches etc.

Although I dont often post here I have been using the forums a lot for research which I know has helped me in my job and my employer has benefited from my increased knowledge.

Its a shame when employers dont see that fact that forums can save schools a lot of money simply because if you are not sure how to do something, come here, quick post and usually with in 1/2 an hour you have enough replys to get on with what you wanted.

I did see you are on the Sunny South Coast Jake, was just curious as to where you are based?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Shame on those members - how small minded! It just makes me realise how truly backward some management can be. They personify the wrong way to do their job.

Cheers Jake for your great input to these forums. You were key.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast