+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
General EduGeek News/Announcements Thread, Things for BETT 2009 #1 in EduGeek Stuff; For technical help, try EduGeek.net - not the TES forums, that's for teaching-related issues. To download a clip from YouTube ...

Thank Post
    For technical help, try EduGeek.net - not the TES forums, that's for teaching-related issues.

To download a clip from YouTube and keep it for later playback, you don't need to do anything complicated - you can simply copy the clip straight from your Internet Explorer cache directory. To convert the video to a format you can edit, there are a bunch of video conversion web sites available.

To add to the PowerPoint stuff: you can use PowerPoint instead of the software that came with your Whiteboard - PowerPoint also has an "annotate" feature that lets you scribble and highlight.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    To make your word document files smaller, try using the 'compress pictures' option from 'tools' within the Save As box.

It's always best to run your laptop battery low before charging it back up. It will help it keep working better for longer.

Save your school money print in colour only when you need it! Believe it or not printng a page in colour can cost up to 10 times as much as printing it in Black and White!

To prolong the life of your laptops power supply, try and avoid winding the cable round it, they break easier than you mght think.

It's always better to shut your laptop down properly rather than just closing the lid and putting it in standby mode.

Any of those any good??

Mike.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,186 Times in 1,004 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For technical help, try EduGeek.net - not the TES forums, that's for teaching-related issues.
    Has anyone noticed that the ICT TES forum is full of threads like 'Help me, I'm a new ICT teacher and I don't know anything at all about computers or programs'?
    How can that be allowed?

Thank Post
    To prolong the life of your inkjet printer a few useful tips:

- Use it regularly (every few days) with a piece of scrap paper to print a test pattern usually available in the printer preferences

- Learn how to carry out maintenance functions like cleaning the printhead, nozzle check, etc... it'll save you time in the long run

- If you're leaving an inkjet over a holiday (especially a hot one) and the printheads are part of the cartridge, remove the cartridges from the printer and put them in a zip lock bag with a piece of damp tissue paper. They are more likely to stay moist and unclogged this way and will probably require only a single head cleaning routine to get them working again when you replace them in the printer at start of term.
    Note: Don't do this for epsons.. you'll dry out the printhead.

- If the cartridges run out, get new ones and replace them as soon as possible

- In some printers (eg: Canon Pixma iP4500, Epson R300,etc..) the cartridge is just an ink reservoir (ie: no printhead attached). If the ink runs out on these don't remove them until you have a replacement cartridge to put in. This stops the printhead drying out and clogging.

- Plan ahead and order your replacement cartridges before you run out and before reports time! You will need them!

- Mono Lasers are more cost effective, easier to maintain and more reliable than colour ink jet printers. If you're about to buy, ask yourself if it's really that important!

Thank Post
    * Avoid cancelling virus/spyware scans. If you have to do this then run them later in the day.

* When using "work from home/remote access" solutions. Keep a local copy of the file you are working on and upload it once you're done using it.

* Backups are important!

Thank Post
    For troublefree operation of interactive whiteboards, connect everything up and turn the projector and board on first before turning on your computer/laptop.

Internet running slow? Try loading a common site like the BBC homepage, if that comes up quick chances are the website you are using is at fault, and not your schools network.

Computer running slow? Try closing down un-needed programs. The more you have open at once, the slower you computer can get.

Student password not working? A commn mistake students make is typing a space at the beginning or end of their username, it can be hard to spot.

Laptop typing numbers insted of letters? Most laptops have letter keys that can double as numbers if the NumLock function is switched on.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,787 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kesomir View Post
    How much is a stand at BETT?
    It depends where the stand is. In the software zone you can get it for a reasonable price, but the thing that costs is the lighting, accommodation, insurance, 'net connection, Performance Licences, food, marketing, the liquid meal that certain folk tend to have in the evening ...

All in, including donations / sponsorship / agreement with the organisers / equipment / marketing and publicity / stand costs / food / hotels ... it stood at over £15k ...

This is before you consider the cost in man-hours since we have you kinds folks who give your time free of charge, and usually taking dome of your hard-earned holiday to do so as well. That takes it up to around £17k.

And remember that we are still considered small-fry at BETT. Some stands will have bespoke builds, have 80+ people over the 4 days that have to be put up, fed and watered, entertained of an evening and transported around.

£200k is not an unreasonable amount for a big name to start at ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Has anyone noticed that the ICT TES forum is full of threads like 'Help me, I'm a new ICT teacher and I don't know anything at all about computers or programs'?
    "ICT" as a subject isn't necessarily about the technical aspects of computing, that's what we are here for. This is especially true at GCSE / A-level - ICT at school is aimed at people who'll be working with ICT (i.e. most everyone) in their job, not in ICT as their main job. So, I can quite understand ICT teachers not necessarily knowing every aspect of IT practice.

However, the main problem I see with the questions posted to the TES forums is that many people don't have any idea how to go about finding stuff out for themselves. I've answered several questions over there recently with links to Google searches - the polite way these days of saying "RTFM". And when the question is something you can't find in the first page of a Google search result, people don't seem to be able to phrase questions properly or even, sometimes, in coherent English - that is worrying. You often wind up having to have a question-and-answer session to extract information from people as to what, exactly, they are having problems with.

I guess the above boils down to handy hints on How To Figure Stuff Out:

- Search Google. Learn to pick decent keywords from the problem you are having and type them in to Google. If that doesn't work first time, try a different combination.

- Ask on a forum. Explain what you are trying to do, any software package you are using (include the operating system, version number, etc). Explain what you have already done to try and find a solution (i.e. searched Google). Be specific.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    since we have you kinds folks who give your time free of charge
    But if we volunteer we get an exhibitors pass, right? We can spend the whole day re-enacting Wayne's World where they go around going "Backstage Pass! Backstage Pass!" to everyone they meet.

I think we should have an "Ask The Guru" section at BETT, complete with small yurt-style tent, burning joss sticks and symbol-clanging attendants. We could all take it in turns to do a Guru shift, which would include dressing in a white robe and loin cloth and sticking on a long, white beard (friend of mine does Santa at Christmas, should be loads of second-hand beards going cheap come January). Any teacher who wanted to ask a question would first have to kneel respectfully at the entrance to the tent and start all requests with "Oh, great and wise Guru..."

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You see was way off with my figure but then money side of bett I did not get involved in but as always Tony does a bang up job of running and sorting BETT out for us.

True what we spend is lot less compared to the big players...

Russell

Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    It depends where the stand is. In the software zone you can get it for a reasonable price, but the thing that costs is the lighting, accommodation, insurance, 'net connection, Performance Licences, food, marketing, the liquid meal that certain folk tend to have in the evening ...

All in, including donations / sponsorship / agreement with the organisers / equipment / marketing and publicity / stand costs / food / hotels ... it stood at over £15k ...

This is before you consider the cost in man-hours since we have you kinds folks who give your time free of charge, and usually taking dome of your hard-earned holiday to do so as well. That takes it up to around £17k.

And remember that we are still considered small-fry at BETT. Some stands will have bespoke builds, have 80+ people over the 4 days that have to be put up, fed and watered, entertained of an evening and transported around.

£200k is not an unreasonable amount for a big name to start at ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,261 Times in 792 Posts
    Blog Entries
    in a boil wash, never put whites in with colours....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,261 Times in 792 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    But if we volunteer we get an exhibitors pass, right? We can spend the whole day re-enacting Wayne's World where they go around going "Backstage Pass! Backstage Pass!" to everyone they meet.
    Does that mean when we see Dos_box we have to

"we're not worthy! We're Not Worthy!"

Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    I think we should have an "Ask The Guru" section at BETT, complete with small yurt-style tent, burning joss sticks and symbol-clanging attendants. We could all take it in turns to do a Guru shift, which would include dressing in a white robe and loin cloth and sticking on a long, white beard (friend of mine does Santa at Christmas, should be loads of second-hand beards going cheap come January). Any teacher who wanted to ask a question would first have to kneel respectfully at the entrance to the tent and start all requests with "Oh, great and wise Guru..."
    Thats a great idea, though its one thats likely to attract Bob Geldof.....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    How can that be allowed?
    or encouraged! so long as they have experience using The web. Using a mouse, mices, using mice. Clicking, double clicking. The computer screen, of course. The keyboard. The... bit that goes on the floor down there then they should be fine to teach IT .

back on track!.

Powerpoint 2007 has a feature to allow you to change the resolution of your output which can save you changing how the screen looks on your pc and allow you to improve the visual quality of your presentation.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    Does that mean when we see Dos_box we have to "We're Not Worthy! We're Not Worthy!"
    Eh? You mean you don't do that already?

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Just thinking about it, I think we'd better get some good ironing tips from Tony down in this book thing!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast