+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
General EduGeek News/Announcements Thread, Swearing in the forums - Please read in EduGeek Stuff; OK Guys, it's time for our tri-yearly laying down of the law about swearing on EduGeek. The mods (and more ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries

Swearing in the forums - Please read

OK Guys, it's time for our tri-yearly laying down of the law about swearing on EduGeek.
    The mods (and more than a few members) have brought it to my attention that a few of you think that swearing is acceptable on the forums in Edugeek and over the past few days we have edited out quite a few profanities in posts over various forums.
    In short, it is not. We do not tolerate swearing on the site for many reasons but primarily because we have to ensure that EduGeek is safe to view in classrooms and does not get caught up in filtering blocklists due to profanity.

For all of our newer members we should tell you that several years back we spent quite a bit of time in contact with more than a few of the major filtering providers ensuring we were not blocked for any members. Please do not spoil this situation.
    Also note that EduGeek is viewed not just by you, at the sharp end of IT support, but by very, very senior people in most of the major hardware and software companies throughout the world who pay attention to what you have to say very closely indeed.
    If you come across as someone who cannot make a point without swearing then you begin to lose the argument.
    There are a lot better and cleverer ways to voice your frustrations without resorting to bad language.
    Remember, what you say here reflects not only on you as individuals, but as a profession too.
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 5th June 2014 at 03:21 PM. Reason: spelling ;)

2. 28 Thanks to Dos_Box:

3s-gtech (5th June 2014), Brimstone (5th June 2014), browolf (5th June 2014), elsiegee40 (5th June 2014), Ephelyon (5th June 2014), Griff (5th June 2014), hardtailstar (5th June 2014), ICTDirect_Dave (5th June 2014), IrritableTech (5th June 2014), Jamman960 (5th June 2014), john (5th June 2014), jonnykewell1 (5th June 2014), mdrabble (5th June 2014), newpersn (5th June 2014), pcstru (5th June 2014), plexer (5th June 2014), rad (5th June 2014), RichCowell (5th June 2014), Soulfish (5th June 2014), sparkeh (5th June 2014), speckytecky (5th June 2014), StevieM (5th June 2014), teejay (5th June 2014), themightymrp (5th June 2014), tmcd35 (5th June 2014), X-13 (5th June 2014), ZeroHour (5th June 2014), ZeroNeg (5th June 2014)

Thank Post
    I feel bad and guilty now!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    If you come across as someone who cannot make a point without swearing then you begin to lose the argument.
    There are a lot better and cleverer ways to voice your frustrations without resorting to bad language.
    Mr Stephen Fry disagrees.

5. Thanks to X-13 from:

BKGarry (5th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Totally agree there is no need for swearing it make you look an uneducated red top reader.

7. Thanks to nicholab from:

speckytecky (5th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholab View Post
    Totally agree there is no need for swearing it make you look an uneducated red top reader.
    Swearing is bad, but it's OK to insult people for no reason?

Excuse me while I roll my eyes super hard.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Swearing is bad, but it's OK to insult people for no reason?

Excuse me while I roll my eyes super hard.
    I don't think that was meant as an insult. Or are you reffering to some people's behavior on EduGeek?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I don't think that was meant as an insult. Or are you reffering to some people's behavior on EduGeek?
    Little from column A, little from column B.

Thank Post
    I swear, but im not an "uneducated red top reader". I am offended by that accusation and would like an apology.

Thank Post
    I've swore in posts so is he trying to say I'm uneducated It depends on the persons personality and doesn't represent how intelligent you are just because you decided to use a swear word! If the forum doesn't want me to then I won't it's not a problem to me it's just a way people use to express their frustration. I took it as an insult and quite frankly I'd rather someone swear and get angry then make snide nasty comments like nicholab has!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I swear like a sailor, however common sense applies. I try to treat Edugeek in the same way I would treat the children & staff (with children present) at school. I.E. stereotypical sailor to cartoon sailor. No swearing and a can or two of spinach.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by abillybob View Post
    I've swore in posts so is he trying to say I'm uneducated It depends on the persons personality and doesn't represent how intelligent you are just because you decided to use a swear word! If the forum doesn't want me to then I won't it's not a problem to me it's just a way people use to express their frustration. I took it as an insult and quite frankly I'd rather someone swear and get angry then make snide nasty comments like nicholab has!
    I set out the reasons why we do not allow swearing on the forums here on EduGeek in my first post. This has been our policy since day one nine years ago.
    It is not unreasonable and it is very rare that I step in and lay down the law in a 'my house, my rules' kind of way but today is one of those (thankfully) rare days.
    Swearing does have a place, but it's not here. If you cannot express your frustration without the use of profanity then take a minute to consider if what you had to say to begin with was really worth saying.

Thank Post
    Personally I do not see how swearing is a problem, have a toggle on the site for a profanity filter, those then with sensitive ears can then protect them without censoring those who do not care. And I am sure that the Big Wigs who take "a very close interest in what we say" will still do so regardless of swear words. This is the IT professional's lifeline after all, not the Big Business selling platform, unless things have changed :P

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    i do think you guys look for a fight sometimes....

17. Thanks to Little-Miss from:

Griff (5th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Disease View Post
    Personally I do not see how swearing is a problem, have a toggle on the site for a profanity filter, those then with sensitive ears can then protect them without censoring those who do not care. And I am sure that the Big Wigs who take "a very close interest in what we say" will still do so regardless of swear words. This is the IT professional's lifeline after all, not the Big Business selling platform, unless things have changed :P
    There's also the issue of sensitive filters though.

Ours blocks EVERYTHING with the word "proxy". Thankfully it hasn't hit EduGeek, but if it did it would be a problem.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There's no need for profanity on here. I so rarely swear, it is really quite jarring to see it on here sometimes. I cringe when people swear at work too.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast