+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General EduGeek News/Announcements Thread, Swearing in the forums - Please read in EduGeek Stuff; It's always the modern context that is important. The actual etymology of the word has little relevance as they almost ...

Thank Post
    It's always the modern context that is important. The actual etymology of the word has little relevance as they almost all have origins that were entirely innocuous, such as the F-word which is derived from an old Germanic root for "to breed". Hence the (modern) Dutch sentence:

"Ik fok honden." / "I breed dogs."

A more, shall we say, "literal-sounding" version of that translation was once famously uttered by a Dutch woman - improvising without her dictionary - in front of the press...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,187 Times in 1,618 Posts
    It is not a swear word, perhaps, but it is inappropriate in a primary school. These threads are read and filtered in the professional settings of such schools and language will be reported and edited as if the context was within a primary school with children about.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wait, what? K&*(^*(d is a swear word?! Never heard that before! Looking it up, all I can find it is that it is "informal".

Thank Post
    Must say, I was surprised to hear people considering the "k" word to be a swear word. Coarse, possibly, but not a swear word. However, obviously in @abillybob's area they have other ideas.

Maybe we should think of it more as making sure we only use language that a devout Christian would use when talking to a member of the priesthood.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    It is not a swear word, perhaps, but it is inappropriate in a primary school. These threads are read and filtered in the professional settings of such schools and language will be reported and edited as if the context was within a primary school with children about.
    I refer you to my previous answer

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post
    Maybe we should think of it more as making sure we only use language that a devout Christian would use when talking to a member of the priesthood.
    :
    I was thinking this when someone modded me for once. (soon to be twice)
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 5th June 2014 at 04:22 PM. Reason: never refuse a challenge ;)

7. Thanks to Theblacksheep from:

elsiegee40 (5th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    I was thinking this when someone modded me for once. (soon to be twice)
    When it is being used as a curse then it will be. And you are talking about the curse here. If you were bleeding then it is acceptable.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    its a language intensifier though not a swear word.
    Either way, it is not language you would use infront of primary children!

Thank Post
    there are iffy words out there was once asked to remove the word slag from some software or other to me (from a mining area) its has a different meaning to what the teacher was thinking. but k* dosent even register as anything other than tired to me. I suspect some words are more objectionable depending on locality

Thank Post
    We can all think of words that becoming more offensive in one context than another, e.g. the birds great tits and ruddy ducks.

Like Dos_Box said, context is everything. If in doubt think about whether you would use it in that context in front of a class of primary kids... or whether someone else is likely to pull you up for using it in that context in front of a class of primary school kids
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 5th June 2014 at 04:53 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,171 Times in 994 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The 'someone elses house' analogy is actually very apt. When visiting someone house for the first time you don't request a list of do's and don'ts.
    Nor do you storm into the living room put your feet on the coffee table and let loose a string of profanities. You respect their house.
    You shouldn't have to tell a guest in your house how to behave.
    EduGeek is the community it is because of these rules, not despite of them.

13. Thanks to Dos_Box from:

elsiegee40 (5th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I don't agree with your point of view @Galway - I'm from a farming then Royal Air Force Police background and as my wife frequently points out tend to swear far too much. However, I pride myself (I think) for having an Edugeek record of not having sworn once on the Forum in the now 10 (I think) years I have been a frequent flyer.

Quote Originally Posted by Galway View Post
    I swear, but im not an "uneducated red top reader". I am offended by that accusation and would like an apology.

15. Thanks to speckytecky from:

Dos_Box (5th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,379 Times in 1,675 Posts
    This is not up for discussion. This is @Dos_Box 's house and he can make any rule he likes whether you like it or not. IMHO having a variety of swearwords at your disposal means that your vocabulary is in fact quite limited as you do not use all the other qualifiers, describing words, adverbs or whatever at your disposal.

Moderators do their very best to keep the forums professional, relevant and friendly - this takes time and effort but we do it because we believe in edugeek and what it is doing to make the world of IT better for all of us.

Thank Post
    I didn't know there was a no-swearing rule, I thought we were all just decent folk...

I love that there is one though... I don't swear, ever, and I do tend to judge people that do regularly or unnecessarily, or out of habit... but it's just one of those things... I don't consider myself "holier than thou" either lol, I have many faults :-P

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by speckytecky View Post
    I don't agree with your point of view @Galway - I'm from a farming then Royal Air Force Police background and as my wife frequently points out tend to swear far too much. However, I pride myself (I think) for having an Edugeek record of not having sworn once on the Forum in the now 10 (I think) years I have been a frequent flyer.
    I should have clarified I swear in real life. Like you I think its only right to follow forum rules and so agree with your point of view regarding the thread topic. From memory I dont think I have swore on these forums, but will happily stand being corrected. Being called a "uneducated red top reader" is another thing. Looking back, I think the irony of asking for respectful comments in one breath, and then saying something quite the opposite prompted the response.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast