+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General EduGeek News/Announcements Thread, Swearing in the forums - Please read in EduGeek Stuff; Originally Posted by Dos_Box I set out the reasons why we do not allow swearing on the forums here on ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    I set out the reasons why we do not allow swearing on the forums here on EduGeek in my first post. This has been our policy since day one nine years ago.
    It is not unreasonable and it is very rare that I step in and lay down the law in a 'my house, my rules' kind of way but today is one of those (thankfully) rare days.
    Swearing does have a place, but it's not here. If you cannot express your frustration without the use of profanity then take a minute to consider if what you had to say to begin with was really worth saying.
    Please don't misunderstand. I am not saying it's unreasonable for you to post this thread and it's completely reasonable for you to ask people don't swear on what is primarily an educational website. I am completely on your side and agree with you.

What did annoy me and insult me is nicholab's silly comment imo which states
    it make you look an uneducated red top reader

IMO I have never really understood the grounds of swearing on this forum and if it has been in the rules since day one it wasn't easy to find, at least this sticky helps explain a little better.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    i do think you guys look for a fight sometimes....
    You looking for trouble little miss? You keep dropping capital letters like that and every tom, #### and harry will be onto you.

3. 2 Thanks to Galway:

Little-Miss (5th June 2014), tmcd35 (5th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Pick your arguments. if you swear infrequently then, when you do, people take notice. I've probably sworn twice in the office, and both times action was taken to resolve the issue. And this is someone who worked in an East End Pub.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,187 Times in 1,618 Posts
    I don't think this thread is supposed to turn into an argument. We have forum rukes and God has spoken. Please don't get into another argument; that's what leads to the language issues usually!

PS is a pretty useful substitute when you are frustrated
    Code:
    :censored:

6. 2 Thanks to elsiegee40:

themightymrp (5th June 2014), ZeroNeg (5th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Most of the forums I frequent have a "no swearing" rule; I really don't see why people are making a fuss about having to stick to it here. Even if there weren't good reasons for it, if the owner (who's providing a free information/sanity resource) makes a rule then it's his right to expect it enforced.

8. 2 Thanks to LeMarchand:

hardtailstar (5th June 2014), mdench (5th June 2014)

Thank Post
    To be honest I like the fact this forum has a no swearing rule, I have been on Forums and the swearing got so bad some the threads/forum got deleted.

Yes I swear among friends but in my professional life I do not as there is no need for it.

Thank Post
    I don't swear on here, I am just opposed to censorship :P

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    I don't think this thread is supposed to turn into an argument. We have forum rukes and God has spoken. Please don't get into another argument; that's what leads to the language issues usually!

PS is a pretty useful substitute when you are frustrated
    Code:
    :censored:
    As in, God has spoken, now please do shut the up.

12. 2 Thanks to pcstru:

BKGarry (5th June 2014), elsiegee40 (5th June 2014)

Thank Post
    You lot do make me smile

Thank Post
    I swear a lot, it doesn't mean I'm uneducated it just means I have a wide vocabulary. I don't swear on Edugeek though.

Thank Post
    I was shocked that when walking around my school the head asked me what was wrong with the old ink jet printer and I said it was "K*******d" she looked at me and said YOU CANT SAY THAT IN A SCHOOL and all the children looked at me only later to my horror did I find it wasn't an 'appropriate word' my family have always said that thought nothing of it so I think sometimes no matter what you say someone, somewhere will be offended and think you used an offensive word where as in the persons mind they may not think they have done anything wrong.

Normally if I say a swear word on a forum it's in the form of $£%!&£% characters are we not allowed to do this either?
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 5th June 2014 at 02:37 PM. Reason: and you can't say it here either

16. Thanks to abillybob from:

speckytecky (5th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,187 Times in 1,618 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    As in, God has spoken, now please do shut the up.
    Because this just about sums it up, I am quoting this, editing the post before this one!

@abillybob using %&€£¥# in place of a swear word is allowed and so is the emoticon. Quoting someone else using a borderline word isn't
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 5th June 2014 at 03:16 PM.

18. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

speckytecky (5th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,171 Times in 994 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by abillybob View Post
    I was shocked that when walking around my school the head asked me what was wrong with the old ink jet printer and I said it was "K*******d" she looked at me and said YOU CANT SAY THAT IN A SCHOOL and all the children looked at me only later to my horror did I find it wasn't an 'appropriate word' my family have always said that thought nothing of it so I think sometimes no matter what you say someone, somewhere will be offended and think you used an offensive word where as in the persons mind they may not think they have done anything wrong.

Normally if I say a swear word on a forum it's in the form of $£%!&£% characters are we not allowed to do this either?
    Characters are allowed in principle, but as always the method in which they are employed is everything and they still may be judged as not in character with the EduGeek ethos.

20. 3 Thanks to Dos_Box:

elsiegee40 (5th June 2014), Griff (5th June 2014), speckytecky (5th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,171 Times in 994 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I should have added that context is everything.

If you have just discovered that all your backup tapes are corrupted and your servers have just gone down then using a few characters and 'ds is fine.
    Just complaining that Simon Cowells latest production line act is a 'Talentless &^$£' is not, as it is clear what is meant.
    There is a diffence between hitting your thumb with a hammer and spitting in the street. Or forums as the case may be.

Thank Post
    @elsiegee40, see this is where it gets interesting (I'm just stating this to kind of make my point) The word K*******d isn't actually a swear word after doing some research, it is a slang word created a long time ago in olden days a horse would be taken to a Knacker to be put down, it was also called a Knackers front yard and by transference to be K*******d means so tired and exhausted you couldn't do any more work.

So what you may see as a nasty word others may not. Please don't misunderstand this comment it is not an attack at you neither is it me arguing the fact that people should be allowed to swear on this forum, I'm all for stopping swear words, but I do believe there is a fine line between censorship and free speech and who's to make that judgement call that a word such as K*******d shouldn't be allowed? imo only Chris as he is the one who created the website and in real terms it's like us visiting his house. I think you need to be specific on the words we can and cannot use, it may sound a bit overboard but as K*******d is technically slang and not a swear word why have you blocked it?

Just a thought I will leave now

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast