+ Post New Thread
General EduGeek News/Announcements Thread, Some more 1 Million posts stats in EduGeek Stuff; As requested by several of you last week I have been doing some mining through our analytics and can now ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Blog Entries

Some more 1 Million posts stats

As requested by several of you last week I have been doing some mining through our analytics and can now present some nice graphs showing the growth and decline of certain versions of Windows, Browsers and which O/S's have visited EduGeek over the past 5/6 years. Some make for interesting viewing!

So, first off, Windows versions:

Some more 1 Million posts stats-windowsversions.png

As you can see, Windows 7 has been 'da bomb' since its launch and has shot head and shoulders above any other Windows versions. Interestingly, see the difference from when XP was it its peak and the take up of 7?
    However not to be outdone, observe how Windows 8 has taken off in its first year? Pretty much the same as 7 did on when it was released. We'll have to give it another 12 months to see how that pans out growth-wise though.
    And some of you said you hate it. Shame on you.
    In case you were wondering, the last recorded stats we have for Windows 98 and ME (yes, people were still using ME until recently!) were, for Windows 98 the period 2012-2013 with 235 visits and for ME the period 2011-2012 with 37 visits.
    Windows 95 died off in the 2008-2009 period with a mere 27 visits!
    However, we still see several thousand Windows 2000 (non-server) visits per year (4061 in the past 12 months) and I wonder how long that will be hanging around for?

Now for all operating systems:

Some more 1 Million posts stats-opsys.png

And that's pretty conclusive. It's Windows FTW with OSX and Linux barely making a dent and for the past 3 years they have effectively flat-lined whilst Windows had grown and grown.

And last but by no means least, browsers:

Some more 1 Million posts stats-browsers.png

What I find interesting with this graph is not the meteoric rise of Chrome as the browser of choice for most 'Geekers, but of the parallel use of Firefox and IE. Considering that Firefox has to be added as a separate install compared to IE's ubiquitous presence on all Windows operating systems it does seem to indicate that an equal amount of people want to use something other than IE. What I'm looking forwards to seeing in the next 12 months is how that pegging of IE and Firefox compares to the use of Chrome.
    As you can also see at the bottom of graph Safari and Opera are way down on the list, and in Opera's case I wonder just who uses that in preference to the others?!

I hope you have enjoyed seeing these and it took me the best part of Friday afternoon to knock them up, so if you have any other idea of what you would like to see please let me know, but please note that we are rather busy atm and it does take some time to sort out. Oh, and if you can see any trends in the data that I may have missed, please feel free to point them out.

2. 7 Thanks to Dos_Box:

elsiegee40 (11th November 2013), ICTDirect_Dave (11th November 2013), Little-Miss (11th November 2013), rad (11th November 2013), Rawns (11th November 2013), Soulfish (11th November 2013), tech_guy (11th November 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts

Article: Some more 1 Million posts stats

Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Windows 95 died off in the 2008-2009 period with a mere 27 visits!
    Let's all fire up some VMs and see if we can beat that for 2013-14...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    I was envisioning @SimpleSi crying as he switched them off for the last time

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    and just to really fudge it up lets see if we can get them running opera or safari lol

suprised by the low score for ios and with all the pc is dead talk its still growing at a steady rate

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    and just to really fudge it up lets see if we can get them running opera or safari lol

suprised by the low score for ios and with all the pc is dead talk its still growing at a steady rate
    And Linux seems to be almost level pegging with OSX too.
    I suspect the low OSX score has a lot to do with schools having more Macs than ever these days but that the overall networks are being managed by people using Windows desktops.

Thank Post
    Win95???? I skipped that one - went straight from WfWG 3.11 to Win98SE

Simon

Although I did make a Win95 VM for a senior citizen on his new Win7 machines so he could run his old programs

Thank Post
    How do the different versions of IE pan out? Interesting to see if, as predicted, IE users have become more update-prone
    Wonder how these compare to netcraft's figures - are we different from the population at large? Does anything change radically between, say the UK school day and evening times?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    Win95???? I skipped that one - went straight from WfWG 3.11 to Win98SE
    Me too,

I never got to enjoy that lovely musical interlude you got when logging onto '95

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tom_newton View Post
    How do the different versions of IE pan out? Interesting to see if, as predicted, IE users have become more update-prone
    Wonder how these compare to netcraft's figures - are we different from the population at large? Does anything change radically between, say the UK school day and evening times?
    i suspect theres a lot of 8 and the rest are lower (trying to keep same version across multiple platforms) and 10 ignores the proxy settings weve been using for years and i still dont think gpp are reliable for this sems to be hit and miss)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tom_newton View Post
    Hmm. Give me a day or so and I'll knock up an IE chart if you like.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    i suspect theres a lot of 8 and the rest are lower (trying to keep same version across multiple platforms) and 10 ignores the proxy settings weve been using for years and i still dont think gpp are reliable for this sems to be hit and miss)
    In the past 12 months it looks like this:

1. 9
    2. 10
    3. 8
    4. 7
    5. 6

Don't make me go into details yet though!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread