Poll: Which locations could you attend an EduGeek Conf

+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General EduGeek News/Announcements Thread, EduGeek Conferences in 2014 in EduGeek Stuff; ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,171 Times in 994 Posts
    Blog Entries

EduGeek Conferences in 2014

Hi everyone,
    For those of you who are regular attenders of our annual conference you may have heard us talking recently about the possibility of attending one closer to home in the future.
    Unfortunately we cannot manage to get another one sorted out for this year due to time constraints with BETT now a rapidly looming reality (ask our sponsors how soon THAT comes around!), however that does not mean we haven’t been busy with some planning.
    We have primarily sourced some venues/locations that we can host events at and what we now need is some numbers from you.
    Ideally we would need 45-50 attendees to make each conf work as well as speakers etc. and we have noticed in the past year or so a slight drop in those attending or, more costly to us, booking a ticket and not showing up (which costs us about £35 a time), primarily though this is down to schools now not being willing to spend on travel, hotels for non-teaching staff to attend events, regardless of how helpful and informative these are.
    So, due to popular demand, we are planning to take the events to you in 2014, provided we can get enough people interested that is.
    Now, the period from Feb-July is manic for us. Not only do we have BETT, but also, The Education Innovation Conference, one of our confs, and ISTE in the US to plan and attend. All of these events leaves us feeling quite exhausted and fitting in an extra EduGeek conf is not something we would feel comfortable in doing (although we’d be willing to give it a good try!), so here are some options for you.

1. We hold a conf in May (as per usual) and then host two in the summer holidays (July /August) and one more in the October half term
    2. We host 2 confs in one week in May then one in July/August and one in October
    3. We have 3 confs. One in May, one in July/August and one in October
    4. We host a conf in the US/Australia

Now, the amount of events we can hold are dependent on the numbers involved in the locations contain in the poll; these are Preston, Edinburgh, London and Bristol. Please note these are multiple choice so you can pick more than one if you can make it. We shall post another poll about locations and dates once we get numbers.
    Also on the poll is the question ‘Would you mind paying a £15 refundable deposit’. This is an idea we have had to prevent those who book tickets and don’t turn up. This is not only costs us money, but prevents those on our wait lists from being able to attend. The £15 deposit would be returned to all attendee on their arrival. If you don’t turn up you don’t get it back.
    So, over to you J

P.S. We are also giving serious though about hosting an event in the US or Australia. If you are from either of these countries please tick the box in the poll and we shall try and get something organised, however doe to the size of these countries it would take a lot more planning and preparation, perhaps leading to a 2 day event. Anyway, let us know if you are interested.
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 30th September 2013 at 01:41 PM.

Thank Post
    Well I'm interested, and think the 3 conferences plan (May, summer, october) is a nice spread through the year with BETT in Jan

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,712 Times in 1,479 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It is possible to try and get one in that isnt (like Bett) in the holidays please? Thats the time where we are most busy are harder to get away. During term time things tick over and someone else in the team can pickup other jobs. Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,382 Times in 1,676 Posts
    I agree with @Soulfish

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We'll come to Aus!

I've alreayd told John that I'm willing to take the plunge and open up a Sydney office!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    It is possible to try and get one in that isnt (like Bett) in the holidays please? Thats the time where we are most busy are harder to get away. During term time things tick over and someone else in the team can pickup other jobs. Thanks
    Unfortunately we have found that it is the only time the vast majority can get away with many schools unwilling to provide cover for the 2 days they would be absent. Unless the members are willing to let us know otherwise?
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 30th September 2013 at 02:06 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,449 Posts
    What's happened to the middle of the country?

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    What's happened to the middle of the country?

Ben
    You live two hours from everywhere

Thank Post
    Not really deepest darkest Norfolk on the east coast so places like preston and endinburgh are not great as need special permission to be out overnight, lol

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Not really deepest darkest Norfolk on the east coast so places like preston and endinburgh are not great as need special permission to be out overnight, lol

Ben
    You mean I need to write your mum a note asking for permission?

11. Thanks to Dos_Box from:

john (1st October 2013)

Thank Post
    That's the one

Not, lol.

It's really the ankle tagging company.

Lol

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    That's the one

Not, lol.

It's really the ankle tagging company.

Lol

Ben
    There's a hack for that surely?

Thank Post
    Loving the idea of an EduGeek conference somewhere that isn't about 5 hours from the South Coast!

Unfortunately, although I like the idea in principle, I had to vote no to the refundable deposit. I think that would cause some problems with the finance teams in a lot of schools - I for one know my finance people wouldn't be happy with that arrangement. Also, I wouldn't be happy to pay it out of my own pocket, because if the school decided at late notice that they couldn't allow the time, I would shoulder the loss.

I think for those in schools a small fee (of the £15-£20 region) to attend would be easier to get approved than "I want to go to a free conference. Oh and by the way we have to pay £15 in case I don't go and then I'll get it back on the day".

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crc-ict View Post
    Loving the idea of an EduGeek conference somewhere that isn't about 5 hours from the South Coast!

Unfortunately, although I like the idea in principle, I had to vote no to the refundable deposit. I think that would cause some problems with the finance teams in a lot of schools - I for one know my finance people wouldn't be happy with that arrangement. Also, I wouldn't be happy to pay it out of my own pocket, because if the school decided at late notice that they couldn't allow the time, I would shoulder the loss.

I think for those in schools a small fee (of the £15-£20 region) to attend would be easier to get approved than "I want to go to a free conference. Oh and by the way we have to pay £15 in case I don't go and then I'll get it back on the day".
    I can see where you are coming from, but as it is sadly getting a regular occurrence that we have no-shows who give us no notice of their intention not to attend and when it is costing us £35 per head to book a venue we have to find a way to mitigate this. Perhaps getting those booking seats to agree that if they have book a space that in the event of them not showing up (or have given us a weeks notice to allow someone else to attend) they agree to pay the cost of their ticket.
    Suggestions please!

Thank Post
    Why not make the event a paid event, but use the money to provide decent "free gifts".
    I for one would have no trouble asking my finance team for money to buy a ticket, but would (as others have said) struggle with refundable deposit idea.

£20 per ticket would be a good price, with free gifts worth, say, £15?
    I'm sure you could fine-tune this idea.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast