+ Post New Thread
General EduGeek News/Announcements Thread, urgent - brief history of edugeek in EduGeek Stuff; does somebody want to write down a brief history of edugeek sometime today so i have something to give to ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

urgent - brief history of edugeek

does somebody want to write down a brief history of edugeek sometime today so i have something to give to people at sst meeting tommrow about edugeek

cheers

russ

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: urgent - brief history of edugeek

I'll try and cobble something together about the how and why for you. If someone who has been paying attention and doesn't have a head cold could do something from say, July onwards it would be great.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Blog Entries

How's this?

EduGeek: Why and how.

My EduGeek name is Dos_Box, my real name, Chris Byers. I use the name Dos_Box for no other reason other than that I needed to create an account to reply to when I first built the site and the messaging and mail settings needed to be sorted out. People then started to post and I carried on using the same account. Dos_Box is account number two. Chris Byers is account number one.
    My job is that of systems manager at the Lancashire Schools ICT Centre where I have been working for the past 3 years. Prior to this I was the network manager in a secondary school in Preston for 3 years. My current role is similar to that of a network manger with the unofficial role of being the senior schools technician in Lancashire, and as such I provide a link for schools technical staff to allow them to communicate ideas and suggestions to a higher level. To facilitate this I sit in on meetings at our RBC level and put forwards the schools views and ideas to any projects being run and keep schools informed of the outcomes. To enable me to do this I setup an online forum on the Lancashire Grid for Learning’s intranet. It was an instant success. Finally schools had a place where they could voice their opinions and get people to listen, from all levels of our RBC, from our network backbone staff to the web team who design our internet portal and manage the school web sites. This made people very happy.
    During this time I had been looking for an online community or forum in which school techies, with our rather unique problems resided. I was rather dissapoi9nted to find none. There were school sites covering ICT where they had a forum where questions like ‘How do I plug in my USB mouse?’ where frequently posted. I needed something a bit more in depth. After 2 years of casually looking I had found none, and it was beginning to annoy me, so in April this year I installed Apache2Triad on my laptop and begin to experiment with various flavours of PHP based portals. I had tried PhPNuke, XOOPS, MAMBA and several others before finally settling on Dragonfly CMS, a more secure offshoot of PhPNuke, due to the fact that the Army Rumour Service (ARRSE) uses it, and with 11,000+ members it seemed to be highly stable, fast and very configurable. After a couple of weeks of light tweaking I purchased a hosting package, registered the name EguGeek.net and uploaded the tweaked files. As I did this I informed my partner in crime Ric Charlton, a school network manager himself, and invited him to help out in getting it ready.
    I had no idea that it would be found so quickly. Within two days we had people posting, and from there they came in their hundreds! It was all quite a shock. Shortly after we went online a letter was posted, by me, to PC Pro magazine letting the wider IT world know about the plight of educational IT staff, resources and financing, this too brought in a large number of new users and also brought us to the attention of Becta and a large number of schools IT suppliers and software companies.

Thank Post

Pretty much sums it up DB!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

added to wiki

thanks

Russ

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread