+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
General EduGeek News/Announcements Thread, New EduGeek logo (draft) in EduGeek Stuff; Do you remember the fuss when the Americans changed the name of Marathon bars to Snickers? Here's a simple quiz, ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

Re: New EduGeek logo (draft)

Do you remember the fuss when the Americans changed the name of Marathon bars to Snickers?
    Here's a simple quiz, no prizes involved. Can you tell me the product just by looking at a snatch (yes, that is a technical term) of the logo?
    In the words of the great late Bill Hicks:

"By the way, if anyone here is in marketing or advertising...kill yourself. Thank you. Just planting seeds, planting seeds is all I'm doing. No joke here, really. Seriously, kill yourself, you have no rationalisation for what you do, you are Satan's little helpers. Kill yourself, kill yourself, kill yourself now."

Thank Post

OK, here are 2 more logos/symbols (I'm not choosing these to offend anyone, but to try and illustrate the point that logos have been with us long before marketing men as we know them today).
    A good symbol/logo is a distillation of ideas into a shorthand or totem for a like-minded group. I'm not having a go at you mattx, but logos do have a role in society.
    Last edited by beeswax; 11th June 2008 at 07:09 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by limbo
    Quote Originally Posted by sqdge
    It should be "professional's" not "professionals'".
    No I think that bit is right - professional, plural = professionals, ownership or a plural = professionals'

Professional's would be short for "professional is"

I am not sure about life-line. The rule is generally that a new paring of words has the hyphen until it is pretty much globally accepted and used - so electronic mail began as e-mail when it was a new word, and it is now acceptable to be email (no hyphen) because it is in common use (I know this sounds bizarre - but I remember seeing a guy from the OED talking about it once and it seemed so strange to me that it just stuck in my head!).

So I think life line, life-line and lifeline are probably all acceptable with no one version being particuarly more correct than another.

Now - where did I leave that life?

arrrrrrrhhhhhhh

The grammar is correct in terms of the ' as many moons ago it was 's and we were very much told off for it so yes it should be s'...

Russ

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by limbo
    ...As for the logo itself - I think it is nice and strong for t-shirts and the like, and I think it would actually makre a great new logo for the site itself - I do not see why we need to have such a professional outlook, after all a big chunk of what is discussed here is not particularly professionally related anyway - and nor should it be.
    But we do have professional element which work with nationally with different people and orgs which means to certain degree with have to present a professional image. (must admit we havn't done as much as would have liked to in past 6 months)

Forums on here are bit of an odd makeup we have the every professional side aka the tech and education side. Then we have sections like this which bit of free for all both sides complement each other..

But we do have to be aware of the fact that we have professional element to site that makes be seen as some kind of authority on it in education.

This an issue we as admins are always fighting with trying to get right balance as one hand we have camp who wants us to be a professional organisation and then on the other hand we have camp who want us to be a forum.

Regards

Russell

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,675 Times in 1,458 Posts
    Blog Entries

@beeswax
    the first is something to do with the roman empire
    the second one is a Christianity symbol isn’t it?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

arr but do you know why it is symbol for Christianity well let me tell you it is back from days when Christianity was outlawed. So it was a code so that fellow Christians would know each other.

One person would draw one half and other person would complete the symbol.

Russ

Thank Post

Well, well, well. I really didn't expect to provoke such reaction when I posted my comments this morning!

However, whilst I agree that the new design is a good, strong logo, I stand by my feeling that it is not really the right direction for EduGeek as it stands today. I guess my biggest problem is, as others have mentioned, with the horns - it is a little awkward for those of us in Church schools...

I just feel that if we are to continue being taken seriously by the powers that be, we need to project a sensible, business-like and professional image. The logo looks too much like the image of a gamers site, or perhaps a hackers hang-out.

Sorry to have stirred up a hornets nest, but I think these are important issues.

All the best,
    Chris

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

No these issues need discussing hence why db posted images up so discussion could be had.

Russell

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,374 Times in 1,671 Posts

Joining late, I know (holidays here!):

Sorry, don't like the new logo - looks comic bookish and child-like.
    -deep breath- the sort of logo used for a site full of very young men 'aving a laugh.
    I think we are more professional than that. I agree very strongly with crc-ict
    I like the RJ45 and would like to see it kept. Maybe there is a way of strengthening the colours on the logo?
    I'm not that keen on the horns but they are OK.

And finally:
    Yes, sqdge, "professionals' " is correct - speaking as one who moaned about the bad grammar for a long long time!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I agree there it looks good but doesn’t fit the purpose also why have a formal and a informal logo why not just have a formal one?

Thank Post

Looks gangsta - i like it 8)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

I think the site is taking itself too seriously with this. I approach it as a web site to help others and gain help. Nice and simple.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by mattx
    I think the site is taking itself too seriously with this. I approach it as a web site to help others and gain help. Nice and simple.
    Your forget all the other things that happen through this site conferences, workshops, BETT, meetings with various organisations etc. Although this sites most valuable part is the forums it is not the only thing that Edugeek is about now.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts

I far prefer the current logo, its perfect since some kind person a while ago fixed the incorrect wiring of the plug for me

As for it being naff on business cards, letterhead, thats down to a poor designer of the letterhead / cards. I could make the current logo work very well on it.

It needs right justifying so the text finished pritty much at the edge of the plug, but not touching it so as to allow the cable to show, and instead of cable it needs to be dark blue like the blue on the Quick Reply bar above the message box that would look better.

Infact, if someone would send me the seperate files I'm happy to mock something up based on the current plug as i've done a few ideas for people in the past.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

sounds a good idea john!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast