+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
General EduGeek News/Announcements Thread, New EduGeek logo (draft) in EduGeek Stuff; I quite like the EduGeek, horns and all. I can see why people might not think its professional, but the ...
    Thank Post

Re: New EduGeek logo (draft)

I quite like the EduGeek, horns and all. I can see why people might not think its professional, but the way I see it is that its what I (note I missed we there ) do.

I work in IT for education and most ppl hate me and think I'm the devil, staff included. For me this shows more about being professional, the ones that don't see me as the devil realise I work for the whole school, not for departments or single ppl.

I feel its far more important to support a whole school and annoy individuals than make everyone happy (yer right!) at the expensive of the whole school and long term.

I am a professional devil who walks round with his black bofh mug!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ajbritton
    Have to say I never really liked the horns on the original logo and although I like the new logo, I still don't like the horns. I don't see what the whole 'devil' thing has got to do with education/ict. I agree that a professional look is sensible. I also don't like the reversed 'e'. I cringe every time I see things like that. Maybe it reminds me of ABBA!
    Agreed. I've never liked the name or the logo (no ideas what we could use instead; just know I don't like it!)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,171 Times in 994 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by srochford
    Quote Originally Posted by ajbritton
    Have to say I never really liked the horns on the original logo and although I like the new logo, I still don't like the horns. I don't see what the whole 'devil' thing has got to do with education/ict. I agree that a professional look is sensible. I also don't like the reversed 'e'. I cringe every time I see things like that. Maybe it reminds me of ABBA!
    Agreed. I've never liked the name or the logo (no ideas what we could use instead; just know I don't like it!)
    It took me days of deliberation actually. There was simply nothing suitable I could come up with. I needed something all encompassing and not to dividing. When ICTTECHNICIAN.COM started up after us I always thought the title excluded everyone else involved in the technical side of IT in education. I also wanted to steer clear of a site name which would be too geeky such as www.matrixtechnogoth.net or some such.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Like it a lot. Bold, big, in ya face.. Of course the design of the new site will be equally brash :twisted:

Doesn't look quite finished (as you said). Black is too domineering over the red. Face is a little weak. Eyes look more like mine after a full day and nights' 'sesh' than sum evil monster. Horns are sorta floppy carrots.

As for the tag - line.. what a mouthful!

Thank Post

When I saw this thread I though "Why the heck are they changing the logo, it's fine".

However the new one is much more eye catching. Are we having a new colour sceme for the web site?

Thank Post

I've clearly joined this debate too late.

I like the name EduGeek, and I like the logo. The new logo looks cool - more professional than the current logo (that RJ45 has always bothered me). As long as the rest of the site suits the logo, then it will fit in very well.

I've always been slightly confused by the horns, but accepted that it was the logo of EG. A lot of company logos don't make much sense (in what way does a registery represent a vulture? or how does HSBC behave like an oriental kite?).

As for the slogan, I can't think of a better one ("For those whose budgets don't quite cover training").

Thank Post

Just to say that I have no problem with the name EduGeek (although with current thinking maybe is should be ChildServGeek).

Maybe we should ask the guys at B3TA to come up with some logo ideas for us...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

Good lord, all this over a logo ?
    Hmmmmmmmm.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by sgdge
    As for the slogan, I can't think of a better one ("For those whose budgets don't quite cover training").
    Not discussing the point of the slogan - just the grammar of it, not sure it is gramatically correct.

And DB I am not arguing the point of whether we educate or not - again it is the grammar of the phrase that seems wrong to me.

But I can see you are more than happy with the phrase, all I wanted to do was draw attention to the question of whether it was right or not. I am not actually passionate enough about this site to be motivated enough to waste any more time discussing it so I shall leave it there.

As for the logo itself - I think it is nice and strong for t-shirts and the like, and I think it would actually makre a great new logo for the site itself - I do not see why we need to have such a professional outlook, after all a big chunk of what is discussed here is not particularly professionally related anyway - and nor should it be.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by limbo
    just the grammar of it, not sure it is gramatically correct.
    I've never noticed that before. Limbo's right. It isn't grammatically correct. It should be "professional's" not "professionals'".

And to be particularly picky, "life line" should be "life-line".

But then, we're eduGeeks not English teachers.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by sqdge
    It should be "professional's" not "professionals'".
    No I think that bit is right - professional, plural = professionals, ownership or a plural = professionals'

Professional's would be short for "professional is"

I am not sure about life-line. The rule is generally that a new paring of words has the hyphen until it is pretty much globally accepted and used - so electronic mail began as e-mail when it was a new word, and it is now acceptable to be email (no hyphen) because it is in common use (I know this sounds bizarre - but I remember seeing a guy from the OED talking about it once and it seemed so strange to me that it just stuck in my head!).

So I think life line, life-line and lifeline are probably all acceptable with no one version being particuarly more correct than another.

Now - where did I leave that life?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by mattx
    Hmmmmmmmm.
    Must be school holidays...!!

I agree with those who are puzzled over the horns. I have to admit I feel a bit uncomfortable having the site up on a computer at the church school I work at! The logo does have the look of a comic book title, but I like it more than the current one. Perhaps if we all had Edugeek t-shirts, leggings, and capes we could be IT superheroes....!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by limbo
    Not discussing the point of the slogan
    I was

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by mattx
    Hmmmmmmmm.
    Do you remember the fuss when the Americans changed the name of Marathon bars to Snickers?
    Here's a simple quiz, no prizes involved. Can you tell me the product just by looking at a snatch (yes, that is a technical term) of the logo?
    Last edited by beeswax; 11th June 2008 at 07:10 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,700 Times in 1,477 Posts
    Blog Entries

Cisco
    Dolce & Gabbana
    Mars

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast