Talk about bad timing!
A few months back we booked our first family holday - a week in Majorca (Palma) - Leaving next Monday (16th July)
Everything was going to plan, everything was booked, new togs bought and seats booked - the lot!
Sunday evening we gave our son a bath only to finds something we really didn't want to find..
a cluster of bright red spots on his back and chest :Cry:
Yep - with impeccable timing, our son has come down with Chickenpox.. :(
Its now Wednesday and he's covered in them :(
Some of the early ones have already blistered and scabbed, but more are coming up and we're fast running out of time - meaning we have a rather large decision to make:
Do we wait and see if he recovers - or do we admit defeat, ring the travel insurers and airline and cancel our long awaited and much anticipated holiday :(
The airline (Monarch) is pretty clear on its policy - all spots MUST have scabbed in order to fly...
We really don't know how long it'll be or if we have to cancel or if we can reschedule the holiday
You'll be fine. You have a few days yet. I had it, as did daughter...apart from the sheer "aargh" factor, it did naff off pretty quickly..
Take the Neighbours kid on holiday with you then they can return the favour ;)
You'll be pushing it to have them all scabbed by Monday... 10-14 days is normal. Whilst chicken pox is harmless to young children, for adults and vulnerable people it can be very dangerous. My mum got chickenpox (not shingles) in her 40s and was desperately ill.
Give your GP a ring and get advice... you'll need a letter from him/her anyway if you have to claim on your travel insurance.
Quick update - apart from a few this morning, there have been no more spots, and the ones that came out yesterday (and before) have started to blister or scab, he is now complaining of being very itchy (though refusing the Calamine lotion!)
At the rate the spots are starting to blister/scab (about 2 days) then we may just about make it so long as no more come up!
@elsiegee40 = we did give the GP a ring, but we couldn't get past the Gestapo, sorry - Reception - who said not to bring him in and that they don't give notes out!?! Also, not sure about the 10-14 days for them to scab - too much conflicting advise on the net! - but he seems to be going from spot-scab within 3-4 days so fingers crossed!
He seems to have had a very mild dose, but a decent one (if you know what I mean)..
Your GP will write a letter if required for insurance purposes... They may charge. I have had to do it on two occasions, once when I ended up in hospital the day I should have flown to Florida and once I had to get a letter from my Dad's GP when he collapsed at home the day we went on holiday.
Your GP won't want him in the surgery, I'm not surprised at that.
Ring your insurers, explain that you may have to cancel at the last moment and ask them what you would need to do to claim if it did happen.
Take a photo of your son's spots as evidence!
I found Caladryl cream helped with the itching for my kids. I clearly remember sitting my daughter on a potty in the bathroom aged 2 and plastering her in the stuff!
We've just had another look at him as we plastered him with CL - and more of the blisters have already started to scab!
Got him up this morning and had a quick check.. No new spots and the majority are already blistering/scabbing
We may be in luck - so fingers crossed :)
Fingers crossed for you.
Originally Posted by Gatt
You deserve this holiday! :)
Hope it's even better tomorrow!
Not sure as I haven't seen, but Mrs Gatt is a little concerned as she thinks she's seen some more spots :(
BUT!! She isn't sure if they might have just become noticeable as they have blistered (ie that small that they werent really visible - especially under all the calamine lotion...)
She is now seriously stressing about it so much she's barely sleeping..
I feel we have nothing to lose by going to the airport on Monday - if they say No then the Travel Insurance will still kick in..
If they say yes then we have everything to gain!
I really don't know what to do for the best - for everyone :(
Don't volunteer any information unless asked, hopefully his face wont be too spotty and he will just walk on the plane without issue.
I really hate to do this....but someone has to....
Originally Posted by pooley
IF the spots have NOT scabbed over, you are going to HAVE to stay at home.
The problem with aeroplanes is that they are a closed air environment. The air just gets pumped around the plane. This means that if there is ANY chance of infection, the illness could spread like wildfire.
Turn the situation around for a minute.... How would you feel if you'd got on a plane, for a nice holiday, and during your holiday you or your children came down with an illness that you suspected was from another passenger on the flight.... How would you feel?
I truly hope that the chickenpox has cleared, and you and your family can go on holiday.... Buddha/God/Your own particular deity knows that everyone needs a holiday now and again, but you cannot, in all conscience, put others at risk. Insurance should pay out on a doctors cert.
Had the spots first appeared a couple of days ago then yes we would have immediately cancelled and rescheduled..
Originally Posted by aerospacemango
But they didn't they appeared sometime Saturday Night / Sunday Morning!
The vast majority have now blistered and scabbed, there are still a few blistering and I'm not sure about these "new" spots as I haven't seen them - they may have been there already but too small until they have started to blister..
the dilemma is not knowing when they will all scab - we could phone now and they all have scabbed by Sunday.
How do you then explain to a 5yo that we had to cancel the holiday only for him to be fit to fly, and then have to console him because he thinks it's his fault (he already thinks that now!)
No matter what we do - if the holiday is cancelled - we are going to have one very upset kid who is going to blame himself for not being able to go.
This is why I feel it is better to wait and see what happens - if we are down to a few spots and if we feel they have all scabbed - then we got the airport and see what happens..
If by Sunday there are still a load of spots that are not scabbed then cancellation is inevitable...
As it stands - he *should* have fully scabbed by then....
I understand completely, Gatt, but I felt that the other side of the story needed to be shown as well. I would think that by saturday night you'll be in a much better position to know what to do. It was not meant to suggest that you would willingly expose others to a possible disease, just that it should be thought about very carefully when the time comes to travel.
Originally Posted by Gatt
I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for your family, and hope the youngster recovers in time.
EDIT: And I don't think I made it clear enough in my first post that the time to make the decision would be as late as possible.