Having run a successful iPad trial in our school I can answer most of these questions :)
Originally Posted by Flatpackhamster
- Why would it be good to use a tablet rather than a laptop? Its quicker and more convenient to use. We found people work harder with tablets due to their pick up and go advantages. The appstore is a godsend for IT staff, users now do their own updates.
- Who benefits? Hopefully in this case the MP will benefit from time savings and more effective working. Thats certainly what teachers have told us. More time doing their jobs rather than struggling with technology.
- What's the service life of a tablet? We've been trailing them for 1 Year with great success, 20 ipads. None broken or lost (so far). Ipad 2's still working fine in terms of speed and functionality.
- Which applications have to be rewritten in order to run on a new platform Lots but you will be suprised how quickly they arrive when there is a demand. We already have daily registers and teaching tools on it.
- What security implications are there Not many from our experience. Most users save to the cloud which is password protected and easy enough to "remote kill". We've not had a security incident yet.
- How does one secure documents on an iPad and how much retraining is required for the user? Absoloutley no training was needed, the apple devices are very intuitive. Secure documents follow the same procedures as laptops really eg password protect individual docs.