You are all SO lovely! No access at weekends though and James, I couldn't take control of anything, hard though it is to believe!
I have had many offers of help and details of companies to contact so hopefully I will be on my way soon....
Couldn't do it without you :)
I was under the impression TeamViewer can work over Port 80?? Thats what makes it so useful :)
Originally Posted by SHimmer45
To give you a quick overview, take a look at these tutorials: How to Install a Replica DC in an Existing AD Domain on Windows Server 2003 and Transferring FSMO Roles I seem to remember following these at some point and it all working out good! I know it's for 2003 but there isn't a lot of difference really.
What roles will the server performing?
How many users and PCs?
Buying the best you can afford might not be the best solution in this scenario.
Originally Posted by CHR1S
It is the only server on my curriculum network so it does everything - File server, Print server, DC, data storage etc - No MIS though, no exchange either or web hosting.
100 machines. Children log on as a class so less than 50 users - but whole sets log on together
for £5k have you got enough to get a new server and maybe split up the data storage onto something seperate with a bit of disk redundancy? We put in a Netgear readynas (i think it was something like the 2100 with 4x 500gb disks) at one of our primaries which hasnt missed a beat, your looking under £2000 for one.....
If you said £2k for some sort of extra storage then £3k is a lot of money for a nice server. As i said previously in this thread, we purchased a HP DL385 G7 from @Millgate for under that which would beast what you need it for.....
Originally Posted by themightymrp
the other week when i tried to use it in school to help a friend it wouldnt connect to the TeamViewer server etc i havent tried it since
**just checked and it does use port 80
Witch and James,
I'm happy to help anywhere - give me a shout if need be!
Ok - a new day, a new issue
I now have three quotes for server that vary from 1800 to 3000! And the engineering varies wildly too - from £2500 down to £1300 by companies, and £600 odd by an individual.
The problem is, I am finding it very hard to compare the quotes as they aren't like-for-like. I gave the companies the same requirement and they have all come up with slightly differing answers - the spec for the servers is different, the backup is different, some include backup exec, some dont etc. I dont really know enough about it to know if the machine is a good deal or not.
If I strip out the company info, is anyone prepared to have a look and tell me what I really need?? They are reputable companies and I am sure that the servers are all good but there may be one option that is better than another?
For the install, I have tried to be as explanatory as I can be but inevitably some companies have asked questions that others didnt so I am concerned about whether they have all the info they need.
the HP DL360 G7 which was recently put into one of the feeder school we support was just under 2K with HDD's (was 1.8k but the hdd shortages changed the price)
1st time i have used HP server kit and was impressed by the ease of installing drivers and system tools as its automated
This was supplied by Misco which are very helpful and the pricing is usually very good
Witch - I'm happy to take a look.
You do realize that all educational facilities get about 40% of kit from Dell and they chuck in 5 year warranty for next to nothing.
that's a random number to pluck out of the air and doesnt really make any difference, what one school does (or 40% of schools in this case) doesnt mean its going to suit the other 60% of schools :)
Originally Posted by edutech4schools
The 5 year warranty bit might be true and is handy to have though granted.
its actually 38% to be precise
think you dont get me. if you go through the Dell premier login pages you get 38% discount on some equipment including server, UPS, laptops, deskops