Advice on selling my software.
A few years ago I developed an application to manage the writing of student reports for the school in which I work. It's used each year by all the teaching staff and it does a pretty good job. It won't generate the comments for the teachers, instead forcing them to actually write the comments/targets themselves (specifically requested by SLT), but does nearly everything else.
I've recently been contacted by a neighbouring school that have shown an interest in the software and have asked for a demo and how much a license would cost. This is great for me, but as I didn't develop it with commercial intentions I've never given it any serious thought.
I'm after any advice on how I should license it (one-off/annual/per teacher etc) how much would seem reasonable and anything else that might be relevant.
I realise I would have to be self-employed and talk to HMRC, but from what I understand it isn't too much hassle being employed and self-employed at the same time. Not so sure about being VAT registered though, would that be necessary to deal with purchase orders from a school?
Oh and the rights to the software are all mine rather than my employers. I was advised when I first started to write it to be careful not to do any work on it in school or while on paid time so that's not an issue.
For info (and definitely not as a sales pitch :D) here's some of the highlights of the application.
- Central SQL database along with local data caching for offline use.
- Automatic synchronising of data between database server and cache.
- Central archive of all previous years reports in PDF format.
- Reports generated in Word document format.
- Centrally managed report generation and printing.
- Peer review and sign-off of reports.
- Permissions system so only allowed users can sign-off/generate/print reports.
- Spell checking as you type and correct spelling suggestions (Word style).
- Student photos.
- Template based report design allowing easy modification of the basic look of the finished reports (School badge/title/fonts etc).
- Automatic self-update feature.
- Import data from SIMS.net reports exports (can be scripted and set up as a scheduled task).
Sorry for being a bit long winded and thanks for any help and advice.