So, it's that time of year again...
Got any big plans for the school?
I'm going to throw the current server out the window and have a lovely vanilla network put in its place.
The PTA have paid for a trolley of laptops. :mad: Tried to explain to head that money would be much better spent elsewhere, like in the infant ict suite....i was wrong apparently. Grr
Infant ICT Suite having a bit of a make over, adding 7 new pc's which is really annoying cus id much rather replace them all instead of just adding new ones....oh well, cant win them all...
And apparently im building the new school website too....:bored:
did you mean PiTA ?
Originally Posted by Little-Miss
Urban Dictionary: PITA
OK, here goes.
- RM CC3 going out, 4 brand new servers coming in and vanilla network being setup (already started)
- New business and enterprise area being created with brand new cabling being put in for 3 ICT areas.
- 30 brand new workstations for our new Business and Enterprise area coming in
- Another 30 moving from the current ICT areas upstairs to the new business and enterprise area
- 30 new laptops for business and enterprise area
- 15 new laptops for performing arts
- 30 netbooks for Humanities
- 20 new laptops for staff
- 60 Dell GX60 workstations having RAM upgrades and being given to the maths department (15 per room for the 4 rooms they have)
- All exisiting laptops need re-imaging onto the new network (around 300 machines)
- Learning platform coming on-line in september, preparations for that
- New projector and whiteboard installations in 2 rooms
- Lots of AV work in the new business and enterprise area
- Disposal of all CRT monitors in the school (hooray!)
And a ton of other stuff as well! We've already started some of this work.
how many people do you have working on that Manic?
I'm hoping I might beable to work on our new domain over the summer as I haven't been able to work on it much in term time as I get disturbed working on site and it's not possible for me to work from home under H&S - will probly start in september with the same domain as we currently have dieing under us now
We've got a pretty quiet summer this year for once (although i'm sure they'll find more for us to do between now and then):
Get quotes for, order and setup 67 netbooks
Order and install 17 new pc's in IT suite, upgrade ram in existing ones, re-image and deploy to classes
Re-image 30 class pc's
Document all network points in the school and sort out the mess of a comms cabinet
Finish installing the VOIP phone system and wireless network that I started 6 months ago (currently working but could work better!)
Tidy the office (prob 2 day job at least!)
Sort out garage full of old pc's
Few other little bits as well but can't think of much else at the moment. I want to take at least 2 weeks leave as well.
Replace 160 desktop computers
Upgrade, re-image and re-issue 70 of those being replaced
Recycle or donate the rest
Replace two of our DC's
And the biggest job ... tidy the workshop
There's 3 of us. some of the work like the Projector installations and cabling is contracted in, and I've also got an engineer for 2 days to set up my Exchange server as I'm not that good with exchange at that level. Apart from those jobs, everything else is being done in house.
Originally Posted by DAckroyd
hmm, I need to build the list on the office whiteboard
Going from physical servers to Xen guests
New Modern Languages IT Room (assuming they decide what they want)
New machines for art block build
Install backup server cabinet in remote building and run cabling for it
Recable server rack (reduce kvm cruft, now it's mostly drac and ilo)
Trace and rewire a couple of cabinets
Deploy Office 2007
Reimage most rooms
General TLC and fixing of minor problems.
Serious testing of backbone switch and possible replacement
Annual tidy for office and storeroom
Plus other things I've probably forgotten atm
...uphill, in the snow, both ways, banging rocks together to make network packets etc. :)
My list consists of
- Re-build of Domain controllers
- Rebuild of OS X Servers
- Rebuild of 25 imacs
- Rebuild of 36 new imacs
- Rebuild of 15 laptops
- rebuild of 10 mac minis
- configuration of 5 switches
- configuration of new IP Range
- Re-create user accounts
- re-create user home dirs
- re-create GPOs
- install and test wireless WDS system
- install StudyWiz
- move all machines to new school 10 minutes away
- cable up all patch panels and switches
- re-configure mail server
- re-configure imaps connection
- re-create new website for new school.
in 4 weeks :D
Oh and only me!
The job list so far is:
- Clean and reimage all 66 staff laptops
- Clean and reimage all 142 student laptops
- Replace all curriculum workstations and monitors with new ones all 258 of them
- Virtualise student file servers
- Install 10 new managed Cisco Access points
- Clean all school projectors
- Setup 20 new workstations for staff
- Dispose of old kit
- Rewire all network cabinets
- Tidy office
- Implement file screens and disk quotas for staff
- New whiteboard and projector in two rooms
Looks like I'll be taking my hols just as the school re-opens!
- Replace 75 PCs with 75 band spanking new PCs :D
- rebuild domains - moving from 2 domains (staff & pupils) to a single domain due to wide spread IT demand in school
- implement DR plan
- image approx 300 PCs with new images (hopefully win7!)
- update asset inventory ( that can be the new tech's job :D - if im in a BOFH mood)
- arrange disposal of all old PCs/Monitors/laptops/printers and toner
- Tidy up my office!
Unfortunately all three of my schools are having major building work done so can't go in much and pretty nuch scuppered my plans. One having asbestos removed so a real no-no there.
However, in the limited time I hope to achieve:
x2 whiteboards installed
Recable x3 refurbished classrooms
rebuild of 60 CC3 machines
Move all multimedia to dedicated server
Finish up work on joining curriculum and admin domains and give all staff access to SIMS
Rebuild 60 machines
Rewire main comms cab (its such a state)
Looking at it now, it seems woefully optimistic given the time I've got :(
Two ancient servers are going, being replaced with two new servers, a SAN and some ESX. This will include a new rack for the Server room and a lot of tidying up.
We're also adding in Exchange to the above.
VLANing our network (we share a broadcast domain with another school at the moment so can't use DHCP :( ).
10 classroom PCs and some admin/office PCs.
We've already done two ICT suites.
Got a lot to do this summer :o
- Lay fibre from all 10 comms cabinets to new server room
- Install new racks and UPS and move servers into new server room
- Virtualise all existing services on Xen
- Create new 2008 (r2 possibly) domain and migrate all users to it
- Migrate all home directories and public folders to new 7110
- Reimage all PCs and laptops
- Setup new Moodle install
- Rebuild the school website
I'm sure there's plenty of other things I've forgotten as well :(
Well, if I can get decisions out of my boss, the projects will be
1. Oversee the installation of 2 new photocopiers in our Reprographics dept
2. Oversee the installation of whole site managed wireless
3. Re-address every device in the school (IP address range changes)
4. Introduce a new edge firewall between the LAN and WAN
5. Clean all screens
6. Reimage all machines with new updates and software
7. Install half a dozen machines in our music dept.
8. Recable our server cabinet
9. Update our Asterisk phone server from 1.2 to 1.4 or 1.6
10. Finish our cashless catering system software
11. Deploy cashless catering system in kitchen, sandwich hut and reception.
12. Finish our locker booking system
13. Probably 1000 other tasks I hadn't planned on, due to other people not telling me what they're doing.