Questions to ask ppl interviewing for ICT Network Administrator post?
I work at an educational institution, and shortly they will be holding interviews for the role of ICT Network Administrator.
There are 200 users, with 100 computers spread out throughout the buildings, and this is a big job as you can see from the job description below!
However, there is only ONE person currently doing the job, and when they leave their experience will be leaving with them. Unfortunately that person will not be participating in the process to select their replacement, and the people on the interview panel themselves do not have a technical background.
Employing somebody in a situation such as this can often be very difficult, but I'm guessing there are some people on the forum here who have either been to interviews for similar jobs, or held interviews for similar roles, and I'd value your advice on what good challenging questions can be posed in order to identify a candidate's level of experience.
I know that to some extent a CV and past employment will indicate a level of experience, but beyond that it is often possible for candidates to 'bluff' experience in interviews but then later turn out to be very green, so any advice appreciated.
The job will involve:
- Day to day management and maintenance of network (it is a Microsoft network running either Windows 2000 Server or Windows 2003 Server, I'm not sure).
- Management and maintenance of email system (Microsoft Exchange).
- Maintenance of web content filtering system (this is a Linux solution but you administer it through a web interface).
- Website updates and maintenance (this is administered through a web interface so no HTML coding is necessary).
- Management and maintenance of all IT hardware, from arranging repairs / replacements of faulty hardware, to inventory control of ink cartridges
- Assistance with Student Management database system (again, it's a third party solution administered through a web interface)
- Technical support for users in difficulty
So - does anybody have any good questions that could be put to potential candidates? Any constructive ideas appreciated.
thanks and regards
P.S. This looks like a great forum - one for the bookmarks...