Good Practice Stuff?
I'm interested to know what others have done within their IT departments that you would consider "good practice" i.e. has helped keep things organised, improved efficiency, improved stability, monitoring etc.
For example: temp sensors in critical areas, asset registers, cabling diagram/schedule.
Egg and bacon rolls on a Friday.
A helpdesk, everything goes on that to keep a log of items.
This could prove to be quite a long list... but, here goes!
- Documentation and diagrams
- Procedure guides (how to...)
- Acceptable Use Policies and similar... (e.g. we get staff to sign an agreement when we give them a laptop, and another when they use activesync to say that they allow us to remote wipe their devices).
- FAQ / Knowledgebase
- Regular staff meetings (make sure everyone is reading from the same sheet, as it were)
- Store everything in clearly labelled boxes.
- Keep an up-to-date asset register.
- Change control/management
That's all I can think of for now...