im halfway finished building 26 new machines (don't have a imaging system yet)
exchange server rebuild not started above machines taking too long
new network cable ran for a desk.
new pcopyers set up now to get one relocated
new accounts for yr 7s made
oh and had to power down the whole system yesterday due to council wanting to test every trip switch on the floor and socket for the mains
and this was my only 2 weeks in for the summer looks like im back in the last week on overtime -_-
You could use something like "copywipe" or other cloaning solution, available on the ultimate boot cd.
Originally Posted by bushby
My first task when I started this job ( more or less ) was to build 50 New PC's ( Pentium 233 Cloans with 5.25" Qunatum bigfoot drives. ) 1 day spent building the first win 95 machine, next day spent cloaning.
Going quite well for me, though I have been in pretty much all summer apart from the odd day
- Got 3 out of 4 Hyper-V hosts onto 2012
- Almost finished upgrading Mac suite to Mountain Lion
- Got about 3 more PCs to setup
- Need to move all printers to a new print server
- Need to migrate user shares to new server
And the rest is just small jobs - putting up a few APs, moving PC's to new network points which have been installed, tidying cabs and the boring yet time consuming job of setting up PCs again where they have been moved for redecoration
Try FOG. Doesn't take long to set up and bulletproof fast imaging once it is. Been using it with Win7 for past two years. Provides more than just imaging as well, including tracking login/logouts, printer mapping, etc.
Originally Posted by bushby
Done lots of software related updates across the site including deploying a new virus protection client on all machines and laptops.
Have completed the upgrade of our wireless network to Ruckus and switched the old system off.
However we have an entire building that has been refurbished and hasn't been wired completely yet. it also needs new fibres as existing ones have been cut or are too short to reach the new comms room that has been created. There's an awful lot of work and only 2 weeks left to do it in and I'm off on holiday to Corfu for a week tomorrow!
Oh and we scrapped about 30 very old laptops which are being replaced by nice shiny new ones. The new ones arrived last week and we quickly found that they had US keyboards. So they are being collected on Monday to be replaced on Thursday!
I feel that the last few days of the holidays are going to be very stressful!
We're having a bit of an "easy one" this year, especially with the colossal amount of work we had last year going from CC3 to our spangly vanilla/SCCM setup :D
New SIMS server - done, and a huge amount of crud cleared out!
New general ESX server to take some of the load off our other boxes. And finding out we had licenses for the full ESXi Essentials pack so I can use endless RAM :D
New suite of 17 machines from VeryPC installed and ready to go today :D Nice and speedy! (although finding it rather odd they didn't come with keyboards or mice!)
Lots of cleaning - made our Learning Resource Centre look like Shanghai with liberal use of the air blower!
Lots of tea being consumed.
Day one done. 35 computers unboxed but the monitors are not. Said large education provider has sent nice LG Flatron 22inch monitors that have the flimsiest of stands and a helpful VGA connector and unique psu. The PC has lovely dvi connectors and even an hdmi port. Cue call to supplier to change before I have to do all 60 monitors!
I know how you feel, we're going through that process now (not an SCCM fan though personally, we're using MDT/GPO) - looking forward to being in the position you're in when there's (slightly?) less to do!
Originally Posted by synaesthesia
We're on schedule I believe which is the first time that this has happened for us! :-)
Two new ICT rooms have all mains and data installed - switch will be installed in the cabinet tomorrow and the carpenters are just about finished with the benching in both rooms. Computers are unboxed and ready to be installed into the rooms.
Around 80% of the site has been imaged from Windows 7 x86 to Windows 7 x64 (as most of the machines we order now come with 8GB Ram as standard so it was a bit of a waste otherwise)! The rest of the machines will be done over the next couple of days.
The main outstanding task is setting up the new staff and student accounts ready for the start of term.
Replaced all the HDDs in our IT suites with SSDs and rebuilt the computers as 64bit Windows 7 rather than 32bit.
Replaced a few projectors.
Moved a few computers around.
Installed more access points.
Set up some more point-to-point links.
Looked at the Smoothwall BYOD offering before finding out it's not suitable for users with Windows 7.
Upgraded Veeam from 6.5 to 7 with support for tape libraries so we can now ditch Symantec BE.
Tidied up the switch cabinets and prepared switches for our VOIP system.
VOIP installation started today - meant to be all done by results day this week!
Still got to create user accounts for the new students.
Just spent the past 3 hours tidying up my mandatory profiles, creating a new outlook.prf file for office + exchange 2013, and now doing some tweaks to my policies, mainly to tidy things up...........yes I'm doing this at 11pm, for some reason I'm in a working mood and I'm getting loads of little jobs done that I'm too busy to do during the day :p