I'm after some advice about my diesel (non-turbo), W plate Zafira.
- It only 'glows' first thing in the morning. If I leave the car for 8 hours in the car park at work, it won't glow when I try and start it.
- When it does glow, I need to make it glow 5-6 times before the car starts the instant I try.
- If the car doesn't glow, it chugs for a good 7-10 seconds and then starts.
- Every time the car starts, with or without glowing, there's a cloud of smoke out the back. It's not black, just 'smoky'. None while the car is then running.
- It's getting through water at the moment. I'm having to refill it with 3 litres every 100 miles or so.
- The oil level is fine, and is remaining fine. Under the oil cap is clean (well, it's oily, but it isn't milky)
Should it be glowing every time I turn the ignition on as I thought diesels did, or only when it thinks it needs it? If so, when is it supposed to think it needs it?
Any thoughts as to whether the water is related?
Should I bung a bottle of radweld through it?
sounds like you have a gasket on the way out with that amount of water being lost if you cant see the water leaking from underneath, glow plugs are a relatively cheap thing to try and change though and what you describe sounds like that they may be on their way out also.
I would say radweld first off for the water leak if you dont think its a major leak, but be prepared for worse there, if your losing water and its not visibly leaking its usually only something very bad like a gasket on its way out.
glow plugs for zafira dti | Vauxhall Owners Network Forum & Club - | Vectra | Astra | Corsa | Zafira | Meriva | - that person seems to have a similar issue with the smoke and glow plugs
Don't bung any plugging crap through it for sure.
If your losing water that quick, then either you've got a leak somewhere or you have a gasket about to blow (I had a Rover 25, I feel your pain!).
Have you gone over the pipes to see if there's any obvious leaks, or signs of a split pipe or a loose connection? Mine used to run fine for 15-20 mins before the pressure built up and leaked water through loose connections (and on several occasions split a few pipes).
If it's losing water with no sign, and your struggling to start then that does point to a poorly head gasket.
1st port of call will be to get a compression test done to determin if there is a compression leak.
Replace the gasket if you have the tools. Will save you £££. Did it on my old old ford escort. £50 for the part, and free to install ;)
If not, prepare for the worst.
Edit: As for the black smoke, check the EGR valve. They're a bbbbbbbbb on diesels.
Thank you all for your replies. I'll get the pressure test done and see what that throws up.
Any thoughts on whether or not it should be glowing every time I turn the ignition on? I thought diesels did?
P.S. @Sunnyknight - I did say it isn't black smoke, thanks though :)
Snap. It's still early morning. Gimme a break :(
As for the 'glow', it should 'glow' everytime you turn the ignition. From 3 seconds, to 10 seconds, to (very unusual) past 20 seconds. I'd get those checked out though.