New Office/Server Room?
After after some ideas from you all?
We are in the process of a new build at our school, and we have been asked as a team to put together a wishlist of things the we would like, both in our office and in the new server room. We have thought of the obvious things such as Air Con, Storage space etc.
Just wondering what others would put on their wishlist?
Pre planned routes to get cabling into the server room
Wide - most of the server rooms I've dealt with are narrow, and its a PITA to get to the back of cabs
For your office:
- benching for repairing machines with plenty of above bench power and live network sockets (THIS SHOULD NOT BE USED FOR STORAGE!!)
- separate storage cupboard/room allocated to IT (for all that toner, paper, etc which you will no doubt have to keep somewhere)
- storage drawers for useful things (power leads, spare laptop PSUs, network leads of different lengths, vga/dvi cables, etc)
- safe storage for tools and COSHH kit (make sure it is lockable so no-one can "borrow" stuff)
For the Server Room:
- walk round access for all cabinets
- space in front of cabinet to open doors and fully extend rack servers
- space behind cabinets to open doors and access cabling
- cabling routes either under floor or above cabinets on trays for safe access round room
- small desk/bench for when you HAVE to do some work in the server room - This should not be a permanent desk for someone!
- Small storage area (shelving) for network patch leads assuming core switching also in this room
- Over-spec cabinets. Separate cabinets for networking and servers, space for future additional equipment (you never know what may be asked for/required in 2 years), no more that 50% populated on day 1 :)
Shelves, shelves and shelves.
You can never have enough, there are always too many machines, spare parts, tools, mugs etc that need a place to live.
Kettle? Biscuit Tin? Mini Fridge? :)
Good point. A fridge is required for "cold boot" testing laptops after repair ;)
Originally Posted by spookyspoof