+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, Cycling to Work in General; From the Schwalbe PDF I linked to earlier... On a smooth surface the following applies: The higher the tire pressure, ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    From the Schwalbe PDF I linked to earlier...

On a smooth surface the following applies: The higher the tire pressure,
    the less is tire deformation and thus rolling resistance.
    Off road it is exactly the reverse: The lower the inflation pressure, the
    lower the rolling resistance. This applies equally on hard gravel roads
    and soft forest tracks. Explanation: A tire with low inflation pressure can
    adapt better to a rugged surface. It sinks into the ground less and the
    whole rotational mass is retarded much less by the uneven surface.
    This came as a surprise to me - I then reduced my pressure on my mountain bike and indeed I did go quicker, even uphill. It seems counter intuitive, but it's true.

2. Thanks to jinnantonnixx from:

Oaktech (13th August 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,497 Times in 1,343 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholab View Post
    Get a pair of multi lens sun glasses. I got a pair of Sun Glasses for cycling with three lens colour and a prescription insert for 42.
    Rapid Eyewear?

Ben

Thank Post
    I gave up cycling to work when i turned to summer and made my hayfever unbearable, also got fed up of sharing the road with ignorant drivers. One near miss was enough for me!
    I now walk as it's only in town

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeast View Post
    I gave up cycling to work when i turned to summer and made my hayfever unbearable, also got fed up of sharing the road with ignorant drivers. One near miss was enough for me!
    I now walk as it's only in town
    My ex boss suffered with this and his solution was the foggy respro mask, it's inconvenient, but if you are determined it is an answer. It also stops smog, and the ingestion of flying insects!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just to echo a couple of posts...

Lycra - not necessary, but padded shorts are essential - I wear them under jogging bottoms to hide the legs
    Don't uses gel seat covers (you'll regret it).
    Padded fingerless gloves a real boon!
    and a bit +1 to Schwalbe I've been riding Marathon Plus's for about 2 years and have not had one puncture in that time! They are are bomb proof!

That said the best way to avoid punctures is not riding in the gutter. The best road position is roughly were a drivers near side wheel would be, but I bottle it at that, the next best position is roughly in front of a cars passenger seat. You'll find you get less punctures, cars slow down and see you more, and generally give more room when over taking and thus do less risky over takes.

+1 for Sports Direct, and make sure your reflective gear is just that - reflective!

Thank Post
    Don't know if anyone has mentioned the very brilliant OpenCycleMap.org - the OpenStreetMap Cycle Map.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,995 Times in 934 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As if by magic, Lidl are doing cycling kit next week: LIDL Great Britain - lidl.co.uk
    I may take a look at one of those jackets

9. Thanks to Dos_Box from:

flyinghaggis (24th August 2012)

Thank Post
    Just been down and looted my local Lidl for cycling clothing. Cant believe the prices...so cheap! I might venture down again next week as could use a second pair of cycling trousers.

Thank Post
    Did my second cycle commute today (first was last Tuesday), found a better route at ~11 miles which has taken just under an hour. Need gloves - by the end of the run this morning my hands were lumps of ice. I had to have a stern word with myself this morning as I looked fondly at the car keys.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    XLC Bahamas Sunglasses | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com I got these glasses then I went to on line glasses provider to do the insert.
    Last edited by nicholab; 31st August 2012 at 09:17 AM.

13. Thanks to nicholab from:

pcstru (31st August 2012)

Thank Post
    I try to cycle as much as i can,

I usually have to drive once a week so take in my work clothes/take home work clothes on those days so i pack enough change of clothes between those days. I also have a wash kit/towel and antipersprint which i use to get washed in the toilet (the toilet is in what used to be a house now offices) and pack a tool kit and spare tubes.

my commute is only 15 minutes on a gentle ride so if i get any problems i just walk rest of way to work or home and fix it there.

so I just ride in padded shorts, cycling tshirt, trainers, cycling socks, helmet, glasses, if its wet/cold i use a coat.

dark times use lights!!

but follow all the advice thats been given and you'll have fun cycling!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    15 minute I would wear normal cloths. It is possible to take stuff in each day if you kit your bike out correctly. The key thing is changing you t-shirt.

Thank Post
    There went past a cyclist this morning and he had the brightest light I've ever seen on a bike. 200 yards past him and it still dazzled in my mirror.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    There went past a cyclist this morning and he had the brightest light I've ever seen on a bike. 200 yards past him and it still dazzled in my mirror.
    It was probably a high performance P7 emitter torch. I've got one of these, they're OK at a push.

But if you want the best light (without spending absurd money), this is the bike light to get:
    http://www.philips.co.uk/c/Bicycle%2...8l20bblx1/prd/
    Make sure you get the battery powered one, there's a similar looking dynamo version.

I'm not normally prone to free advertising, but I've ridden with this through last winter and it's been fantastic. I've ridden unlit canal paths at 20mph with no worries. On paper, it might not appear as impressive with a lower lumen count than many other torches. The secret is in the reflector and lens. Torches just throw out a ball of light. When you light up a wall or a tree this looks impressive, but it's not good on paths or roads as about half the light is wasted once you point the torch towards the horizon. This Philips is engineered to produce a wide beam with a top cut-off just like a motorbike. All the light is used illuminating the path. It also doesn't dazzle other road users and the beam throw makes you look more like a vehicle than a bike. Its housing is alloy, not plastic, and it takes 4 AA rechargeable batteries. The housing has a USB charging socket so your computer can top it up while at work.

It's expensive (RRP 99) but I've spent more than that finding this out. It might seem a gushing recommendation, but good products should be recommended.
    Last edited by jinnantonnixx; 6th September 2012 at 09:05 AM.

18. Thanks to jinnantonnixx from:

laserblazer (6th September 2012)

Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    I'm thinking of taking up cycling to work a few days a week to add a bit of exercise to my week. Does anyone here cycle to work and have any tips? Particularly how long a commute you recommend (it's about 6 miles to work) and what you do about clothing etc. I'm sure no-one would like to wear a sweaty smelly shirt after a hard pedal to work!
    I've been cycling into work on and off for 20+ years (about 5 miles at present). Personally I have a couple of changes of clothes. Warm pair of gloves (something like Seal Skinz which some motorcyclists wear) and possibly a high neck warm wear for those frosty mornings. Never used waterproofs on bike just make sure you dry off if wet or sweaty. Staff showers are handy at work but not all places have them.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast