+ Post New Thread
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Cycling to Work in General; Originally Posted by mats You'll still be getting grit & dirt in the chain which causes the wear - surely ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mats View Post
    You'll still be getting grit & dirt in the chain which causes the wear - surely better to work on that than oiling it all the time. The chainguard you had leaves the bottom run (nearest the gritty road) exposed - I'd be looking for a way to protect that. Also - do you have mudguards? They do reduce the amount of much flying around.

You mentioned earlier using 3 in 1 as a lubricant. I might be wrong but isn't that an easing oil, designed for unsticking things rather than lubricating?
    I've got good mudguards, and I've added extra flaps to stop the worst of the spray. I don't think that there's any way of stopping the chain getting dirty, apart from a fully sealed chainguard. Most of the Dutch chainguards are designed for three piece cranks, not the flush crankset my type of bike.

3-in-1 is often maligned, but it is an excellent oil - Comparison of chain lubes.
    The guy tested a range of oils, cheap and expensive, and came to this conclusion.
    Data trumps opinion, as they say. Perhaps it should be thinned a bit more when used on a bike chain.

However, as 3-in-1 is a vegetable based oil (rather than petroleum) it does wash away easily, and needs to be reapplied if it's been raining.

I wanted a water-resistant, thin, high quality oil, so that's why I decided to try to try and mix a homebrew oil. Time will tell.
    Last edited by jinnantonnixx; 28th February 2014 at 10:25 AM.

Thank Post
    I cycled in today took my road bike instead of the MTB as I was running late what a nightmare in traffic unclipping all the time thought I was going to end up in someones boot. Normally when I go on the road bike its in non peak traffic times. Anyway nice oil tips jinnantonnixx, I pretty much clean my bike after every ride it doesn't take that long at all I use the alloy brushes from the car to get in those difficult places but need to start oiling up bit more going to try your home brew.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    I pretty much clean my bike after every ride it doesn't take that long at all I use the alloy brushes from the car to get in those difficult places but need to start oiling up bit more going to try your home brew.
    You guys always make me feel so lazy. My bike gets covered in mud every day but I don't bother cleaning it as I know it'll just get dirty again tomorrow. Think I've got some chain oil... somewhere.

Thank Post
    Haha this reminded me of Top Gear's public videos they created on their latest episode *Priceless*

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by StevieM View Post
    You guys always make me feel so lazy. My bike gets covered in mud every day but I don't bother cleaning it as I know it'll just get dirty again tomorrow. Think I've got some chain oil... somewhere.
    I clean my bike only when it gets really dirty, usually oil it regularly though lol

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Third day, oil on the chain is looking good. Contrary to my expectations, no need to re-oil yet, just wiped the chain down at the end of the day. The oil looks good. I think I might thin it down 3:1 for my next batch. In fact, I'd recommend you try that first, as the oil still feels a bit sticky at 2:1. Then again, that might be the residual factory wax. By the way, I bought 'Clean Spirit' non-toxic thinner from Wilkos for 1.75.

After my disappointing chainguard experience, I've installed a temporary DIY mud-flap for my chainring to preserve my new chain. I'll try and post a photo later. You'll laugh.
    This weekend I'm going to have a crack at this: http://lifehacker.com/create-a-diy-c...ike-1508440352
    Last edited by jinnantonnixx; 5th March 2014 at 02:46 PM.

Thank Post
    Well it finally happened ...I was in slow moving traffic I had uncliped my left foot and was gliding along, the traffic began to stop again without thinking I went to rest my foot on the pedal as I glided up towards the back of a car and *click* horror cascaded over my face I looked down to realise I was double clipped in and completely stationary flapping like a lice infested chicken in my attempt to unclip! I knew it was too late as soon as I had heard that fatal *click* of a Shimano SPD-SL pedal the damage had bee done and down I went everyone watching ....student walking by. I hit the ground fairly hard and completely sideways, I stayed prone on the ground for some time mustering the strength of character to get my ass up fully aware that I had gone crimson. One foot was still clipped in, as I managed to unclip my right foot I looked back over my shoulder seeing what I can only describe as a godess!! the girl from the car behind was helping pick up my bike and began talking about how it was similar to hers. At this point I thought I had actually died, as I dusted myself down and checked my bike over she told me about cycling 'group' she is part of and suggested I get involved. I am now at work no injuries and even some kudos from a few of the Year 8s that saw me talking to 'the godess' actually by the time I have got to the end of this post I can feel some pain in my arm adrenaline is wearing off..

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    Well it finally happened ...I was in slow moving traffic I had uncliped my left foot and was gliding along, the traffic began to stop again without thinking I went to rest my foot on the pedal as I glided up towards the back of a car and *click* horror cascaded over my face I looked down to realise I was double clipped in and completely stationary flapping like a lice infested chicken in my attempt to unclip! I knew it was too late as soon as I had heard that fatal *click* of a Shimano SPD-SL pedal the damage had bee done and down I went everyone watching ....student walking by. I hit the ground fairly hard and completely sideways, I stayed prone on the ground for some time mustering the strength of character to get my ass up fully aware that I had gone crimson. One foot was still clipped in, as I managed to unclip my right foot I looked back over my shoulder seeing what I can only describe as a godess!! the girl from the car behind was helping pick up my bike and began talking about how it was similar to hers. At this point I thought I had actually died, as I dusted myself down and checked my bike over she told me about cycling 'group' she is part of and suggested I get involved. I am now at work no injuries and even some kudos from a few of the Year 8s that saw me talking to 'the godess' actually by the time I have got to the end of this post I can feel some pain in my arm adrenaline is wearing off..
    That, buddy, is a result.
    P.S. I got rid of my spuds ages ago. I tried them for a year, but they keep trying to kill me so back to studded platforms.
    Last edited by jinnantonnixx; 14th March 2014 at 09:34 AM.

Thank Post
    Why I don't like clips but if it aids in pulling a 'godess' then I'm ready to dive on in

Thank Post
    Yeah, a moron in an Audi got me on monday... She was in such a blinding hurry to pull out she didn't actually wait for me to be fully past her, pulled out, tagged my back wheel and basically turned me round and dumped me on the pavement. I've got a bruised elbow and whole load of rage!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Oaktech View Post
    Yeah, a moron in an Audi got me on monday... She was in such a blinding hurry to pull out she didn't actually wait for me to be fully past her, pulled out, tagged my back wheel and basically turned me round and dumped me on the pavement. I've got a bruised elbow and whole load of rage!
    Did you get her plate number or did she stop? Time to get a video cam.

Thank Post
    Nope and Nope... Pretty sure she didn't even realise she'd done it.

I really can't be bothered to make anything of it. If I was that bothered, or she'd seriously hurt me or the bike I'd go looking for the car. She was coming out of a road which is access to a housing estate and nothing else. I've seen her coming out of there before so I'm pretty sure she lives there.

The whole camera thing works both ways and I'd prefer that I didn't have footage of some of my filtering floating about - filtering like a motorcycle is a hard habit to break!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by StevieM View Post
    Likewise... I use MucOff Wetlube, and I apply it about once every 6 months! I do give the whole chainset a bloody good clean when I do apply it though.

Thank Post
    Cycling to Work-wp_000368.jpg
    I'll get the jet wash on it tomorrow then give it a liberal spraying of WD40.

(I can almost feel some of you cringeing at the very idea! )
    Last edited by StevieM; 14th March 2014 at 01:42 PM.

Thank Post
    Just bought a Vitus Vee-1 for the 3 mile commute. Going to enjoy it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread