+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Drivers not seeing cyclist a test! in General; Last night I did a test I stood in a slip road off the a456 with my bike lights on! ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Drivers not seeing cyclist a test!

Last night I did a test I stood in a slip road off the a456 with my bike lights on! I noticed very few drivers slowed down. The reason I tried this is I have ridden this slip road before and drivers have not seen me. I think I need to get a camera.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    As a cyclist and a driver a few questions do immediately come to mind - and the answers may be more beneficial than buying a camera.

The first is, how reflective is your reflective clothing? I saw a Panorama documentary not too long ago and it scared me to see how non-reflective some these supposedly reflective gear actually is. As a driver I've had a few near misses with cyclist I haven't seen, thinking they were dressed in black and finding they were wearing what they thought was hi-viz!

The second would be to ask about your bike lights. Just how bright are they? I think you need a good five or six bright LED's to be visable. It should be a steady, not blinking, light. And remember all a driver can see is a red dot ahead. You can't judge either speed or distance from it. I'd say proper hi-viz is more important than decent bike lights and much much easier for drivers to spot.

Finally I'd ask about the road. Is it a suitable place for a cyclist to be at all? Slip road suggests joining or leaving a dual carriageway - not a place for a cyclist. Especially joining, the last thing a driver wants is to slow down here. The purpose of the slip road is to increase speed to join the main traffic flow, I'd be aiming to hit at least 60mph by the end of the slip (depending on road conditions). Are their any minor roads running parallel that you can use instead? Even if it adds 15-20min to your journey time it'd be safer.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm not sure your test works. If I saw you standing by a sliproad I wouldn't slow down, I'd just go round you whilst speeding up to join the carriageway and wondering why some nutter is standing around on a dangerous road!

4. 4 Thanks to CAM:

laserblazer (8th August 2012), mac_shinobi (8th August 2012), sparkeh (8th August 2012), tech_guy (8th August 2012)

Thank Post
    This. The end of the slip road is effectively a give way line. The onus is on you to wait for a safe gap to merge into rather than for traffic that is established on the road you are joining to get out of your way.

I know a motorway isn't quite the same, but the principle is - see Rule 259 of the Highway Code

Motorways (253-273) : Directgov - Travel and transport

Joining the motorway. When you join the motorway you will normally approach it from a road on the left (a slip road) or from an adjoining motorway. You should

give priority to traffic already on the motorway
    check the traffic on the motorway and match your speed to fit safely into the traffic flow in the left-hand lane

Thank Post
    What's a camera going to achieve?

I don't generally slow down for cyclists if I can overtake without having to, its really down to cyclists to make themselves seen - no driver is going to run them over on purpose.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It was an exit slip on to a round about. The light is quite bright. How do I disappear in a puff of smoke and not use the slip road? In the day light I have been indicating to turn right and drives actions have suggested they will run me over on purpose!!!

N.B I do drive as well.
    Last edited by nicholab; 8th August 2012 at 10:18 AM.

Thank Post
    im really confused you've come off dual carriageway and onto the roundabout? you should not be on the dual carriageway anyway. i also would be speeding up to "match the speed" of the traffic on the dual carriageway.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    To be fair - on an exit slip approaching a roundabout the driver *should* be slowing, but still the last place I'd expect to see a cyclist - and one of the last places I'd want to be as a cyclist. Not knowing the road or area it's hard to give advice, but the best two rules for night cycling are - make sure you have good hi-viz, and use roads fewer cars would.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flakes View Post
    you should not be on the dual carriageway anyway.
    Says who?

Thank Post
    on all dual carraigeways cyclists are not allowed the ones where they are allowed have a path with bike lane allong side the only reference i can find to cyclists and dual carriageways is relevant to crossing them only.

Rules for cyclists (59-82) : Directgov - Travel and transport

Road junctions
    Dual carriageways. Remember that traffic on most dual carriageways moves quickly. When crossing wait for a safe gap and cross each carriageway in turn. Take extra care when crossing slip roads.
    to my knowledge there should be no pedestrians or cyclists on a dual carriageway or motorway unless there is a crossing(there are a few crossings around here)

Thank Post
    to my knowledge there should be no pedestrians or cyclists on a dual carriageway or motorway unless there is a crossing(there are a few crossings around here)
    Your knowledge is wrong. Cycles are perfectly legal on dual carriageways.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,615 Times in 2,021 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    It is only illegal on 'M' classified dual carriageways. Normal dual carriageways it is legal.

Whether you'd want to ride on one, that's a different question entirely.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    You are quiet correct (it's motorways we are band from). However - legal and safe are two different things. Generally speaking it is not safe for a cyclist on a dual carriageway. I have nearly killed someone on a moped doing 30mph when I've been coming at him at 60mph (I saw him in time, but him being there at that speed gave me a scare). He was allowed to be there and was traveling faster than most cyclists would.

I have the choice of a single carriageway A-road at about 10miles to work, or 15miles through country back lanes - I cycle the back lanes on purpose to avoid lorries and cars constantly screaming past me at high speeds.

Thank Post
    im not finding anything concrete here, but an interesting discussion here:

Illegal to ride a bike on a dual carriageway | urban75 forums

Riding from Chepstow to Cardiff last night at about 7.30pm on the A48 I was stopped by a police car – flashing blue lights and all.

The two officers got out of the car and told me it was illegal to ride a bike on the dual carriageway. Eh? Since when has that been illegal I asked. It's always been illegal where the speed limit is 70mph they said.
    there's a few places where there are signs stating that it is a definite no-no

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en...,82.14,,0,6.76

but like i say there doesn't appear to be anything saying either way.
    Last edited by Flakes; 8th August 2012 at 11:49 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,615 Times in 2,021 Posts
    Blog Entries
    im not finding anything concrete here, but an interesting discussion here:

Illegal to ride a bike on a dual carriageway | urban75 forums
    Yeah, police officers are particularly useless when it comes to specifics of the law. I wouldn't take their word for it at all.

The law is pretty clear about it though, its legal unless its an M class dual carriageway or has a specific 'No cycling' sign.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast