+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Jessica Ennis? in General; Does she always do that blistering sprint at the end of the 800m? I was squirming enough to want to ...

Thank Post

Jessica Ennis?

Does she always do that blistering sprint at the end of the 800m? I was squirming enough to want to crawl under the sofa when the two amazonians overtook.. was pretty gobsmacked by the response.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,098 Times in 781 Posts
    She's a good strong Northern lass from Sheffield and I have to say that some of our other athlete's who never faired well should take note of her attitude as this has really made people sit up and take notice, it's not just the chosen few from the southern athletic clubs and the elite rowing fraternity that can attain Gold medal status!

My hat off to her and all the other British "Gold medal winners" as second and third is just that "Not first"

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Her performance throughout was amazing, achieving personal bests repeatedly. Her 800m finish was brilliant - show's that even when she's well ahead, she still gives all she's got. People need to learn from that attitude.

4. Thanks to localzuk from:

bossman (5th August 2012)

Thank Post
    It's a dream Olympics, I am not sure how home crowds have affected other teams over the years but the GB seem to be feeding on the energy in the stands.

I felt for the two gus in the rowing who though they had been a failure with a Silver. The ladies Scull was amazing! That long Jump Outstanding, The 5K looked like the guy had started the 100M, GB Cycling is in a class of it's own. And Jess,,,, Need we say any more..

My 8yr old and 4yr old are jumping up and down every time we win a medal.

It will have done a lot for the country's moral , at least for a few months.

Rob

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    She's a good strong Northern lass from Sheffield and I have to say that some of our other athlete's who never faired well should take note of her attitude as this has really made people sit up and take notice, it's not just the chosen few from the southern athletic clubs and the elite rowing fraternity that can attain Gold medal status!
    )
    Watch it @bossman mate, your inferiority complex is showing Why would you say such a thing when there are many athletes from the North - as well as many from the Midlands, South and all points in the UK. Might be South to you, but trust me, Becky Adlington and Bradley Wiggins, to name but two, come from a long way North of us down here!
    * Just saw an article that mentions the large number of medals won by Yorkshire men and women!
    The rowing fraternity as you call it are not all elite - a few went to private school, but not all, and it is just the case that your average state school doesn't really 'do' rowing. (Katherine Copeland is from Teeside)
    What has interested me is that there have been several occasions where the athlete has been given an opportunity to learn a skill, or even been picked out as a possible star, by various sports initiatives often lottery funded. This is very good news given the parlous state of sports in a large number of schools.
    Now we could do with the same sort of thing for music and art which are being neglected in a similar way
    Last edited by witch; 6th August 2012 at 10:58 PM.

Thank Post
    Haven't paid much attention to Olympics since becoming an adult, but being hosted here & having a just turned 9yo child (who does some sporty things and got a large dose of Olympics in July from school, Brownies and so on) we ended up watching the opening ceremony on holiday and a fair bit of stuff since getting back. It has certainly worked for me on lots of levels and a big hurrah for the medium: Freesat and all those event-dedicated HD channels. Hiss-boo to some of the wretched commentary and cringeworthy immediately post-event questions: "I know you probably don't want to answer this now but what..." One of the things I've really, really liked though, is Sprogette getting to see all those females in the spotlight. That said I'm secretly hoping it won't be too inspirational - a home life dominated by a child's dedication to some sport isn't especially appealing.

This is very good news given the parlous state of sports in a large number of schools. Now we could do with the same sort of thing for music and art which are being neglected in a similar way.
    Don't think state schools have ever been good at those. My quite serious concern is they are very good at increasingly squeezing available time to do things like that outside school. All this engagement/involvement waffle seems to have done is unleash more patronising one-size-fits arrogance: Dear School, Contrary to your apparent expectations, Sprogette does not spend all her brief evenings and weekends stuffing crisps in her mouth whilst glued to a DS and/or EastEnders from which she can be rescued via randomly relevant worksheets hurriedly plucked from the net, or by monotonously learning yet more model answers to yet more SATS questions. She is in fact often busy on her own initiative compensating for your indifference to...". The increasing trend for typically more time-costly "preparatory work" (as opposed to the reinforcing stuff) to encourage independent learning, will make the clash sigificantly worse.

Edit: Was expecting this in the immediate aftermath but it's starting already - Step change in government sport policy needed, BOA says
    Last edited by PiqueABoo; 5th August 2012 at 07:41 PM.

8. Thanks to PiqueABoo from:

Netman (6th August 2012)

Thank Post
    Monday: Olympics: Ministers seek to boost 'patchy' sports provision
    Speaking on BBC Breakfast, Mr Hunt, said "primary schools is where it all starts and catching people young is incredibly important" but he accepted pupils faced "an element of luck", for example in terms of having an inspirational teacher.

Luck? Think you've got more chance of winning the lottery.

Thank Post
    it's not just the chosen few from the southern athletic clubs and the elite rowing fraternity that can attain Gold medal status!
    If yorkshire were a country it would currently be 7th in the medal table, so I think that shoots down that opinion!

11. 2 Thanks to Oaktech:

NDW (6th August 2012), witch (6th August 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

My hat off to her and all the other British "Gold medal winners" as second and third is just that "Not first"
    Sadly, this is a common misconception that probably alienates kids from taking up some of the sports already.

Thankfully, the performances of Jess and her teammates could very well "Inspire a Generation"!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aerospacemango View Post
    Thankfully, the performances of Jess and her teammates could very well "Inspire a Generation"!
    To do what, to what level though?

For the most part we're watching the results of some rather extreme life-styles: You want to be a Beth Tweddle? Better start young enough to be competing by the time you're 7 years old (and good luck with the lasting physical harm that may well do). Athletics is generally more forgiving (Ennis's bio says 10), I saw someone in a thread talking about tennis at 6, another with competitive swimming at 7 (Sharron Davis was on the national team at 11!) and so on. The reason I mocked "primary schools is [sic] where it all starts", is because the truth in lots of cases is that primary school age is when it starts, and the primary school has very little to do with that or the "it" Mr Hunt implied.
    Last edited by PiqueABoo; 6th August 2012 at 07:45 PM.

14. Thanks to PiqueABoo from:

bossman (6th August 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 1,786 Posts
    But are we talking about producing Olympic athletes or are we talking about getting children to get involved in a sport? Any involvement is good and there are lots of competitions you can do without aspiring to Olympic standard - and that doesnt matter -what matters is getting children out there, surely?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    The rowing fraternity as you call it are not all elite - a few went to private school, but not all, and it is just the case that your average state school doesn't really 'do' rowing. (Katherine Copeland is from Teeside)
    Shes from the village I grew up in, already got the golden post box
    She's definitely not elite, privately educated mind.

17. Thanks to j17sparky from:

bossman (6th August 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,098 Times in 781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oaktech View Post
    If yorkshire were a country it would currently be 7th in the medal table, so I think that shoots down that opinion!
    Well that is a long way South from me so it really doesn't shoot down anything much at all......................................don't take up clay pidgeon shooting would be my advice to you :P

BTW I am a Yorkshireman by birth before I moved to the North of the country

Thank Post
    growing up, most of the major sports would 'inspire' me and my friends to get off our backsides and participate. Home test matches, world snooker, footie world cup, wimbledon. generally sports which were fun to do and had reasonable good access and didn't require a great deal of resources.

i don't really remember feeling compelled to put myself threw the rigours of a 400m after watching roger black do well in one olympics, and we didnt really have the resources to pursue the current flavours of the nation - cycling and rowing. which neither really tick the fun or easy to do or fun to watch category for me.

maybe these home games inspire kids these days beyond the usual halo effect of a major tournament to join a sports club, but the inspiration commentators are looking for is the inspiration to reach the level of elitism of the olympics. i don't think anyone is under any illusions about how elite the level of competition is. And as someone else mentioned the change in lifestyle required, the age at which you'd need to start to stand a chance, and even then how do they earn a living without funding if they're not at the level to be reaching final rounds to get big sponsors.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    But are we talking about producing Olympic athletes or are we talking about getting children to get involved in a sport?
    Sorry. I hadn't quite finished dissing Mr Hunt who very clearly had finding future medal winners in mind.

At a more reasonable level, and being immersed in primary age I forsee some re-enactments of Olympic races with giggly Boltisms at the end which is fine. What I'm mostly thinking though is that the majority of those kids all love running, jumping, climbing, balancing, scooters, cycling, swimming etc. Where does it go wrong i.e. should the focus be on inpires, as opposed to what discourages all that natural inclination as they grow up and move through school? Merely growing up is some of it, but I reckon most of the rest is that @alttab's fun factor isn't there, expecially at school where you spend a lot of time being bored.

[School swimming - the one they had to do because of the 25m target - a common parental conversation when that kicked off (especially with parents of older kids who'd been through it) was whether to withdraw your kid so it didn't kill their existing enthusiasm.]

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information