+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Jessica Ennis? in General; Just found more press here and there today, a lot being grumpy about the relevant funding cuts and demise of ...

Thank Post
    Just found more press here and there today, a lot being grumpy about the relevant funding cuts and demise of School Sport Partnerships. Looking on their enter-postcode web page there aren't many schools around here registered for the School Games, including Sprogette's which like many also managed to completely ignore some county school sport stuff (with quite a few U11 categories) a few months ago. But anyway, I found this assertion in a press article along the way:

"No Olympics host country has ever seen an increase in sports participation after the Games."

Thank Post
    Cameron displaced economic non-growth and said his bit today. One with a fair few teacher's comments (Guardian):

David Cameron defends move to scrap compulsory targets for school sport

Didn't spot any "I work N (=lots) hours per weeks" which felt compelled to add "for M (<< 48) weeks per year" so all this maths focus is clearly doomed.. still I supposed if it worked, everyone would understand probability, stop doing the lottery and given the loss of funding we'd get Eurovision SC rankings in the Olympics.

I've got some sympathies but it's interesting how many teacher+friends apparently don't entirely grok the job contracts, or don't care to contemplate how those jobs/salaries/annual hours measure up to many others. Still it is the Guardian..

Thank Post
    The prime minister said the key to the regeneration of sport in schools was the return of competitive sport: "We need a big cultural change in favour of competitive sports. I think that is what really matters."
    Bang on the money imo. All this "everyone is equal, and everyone is a winner" is just pure nonsense. That's not how the big bad world works, and it all ties in with the current attitude of expecting something/everything without actually putting the effort in; anything from sports to money/jobs. Now I'm not saying the less sporting should be excluded, there is certainly a fine line, but a bit of honesty is never a bad thing. If you aren't good enough for the football team then you don't get in, and then maybe you put the effort in, get better at it and genuinely achieve something. Or you go put your efforts into something you are good at.

Obviously where this line is is dependent on age; primary is more inclusive than secondary...
    Last edited by j17sparky; 8th August 2012 at 06:59 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,674 Posts
    I quite agree - the local comp does a good job at sport - the children get lessons in technique and ability and then when it comes to playing, say, football, they are split into those who want to play a proper game - and those who want to run about with a ball, get fit and have fun. They are encouraged to join the team and learn if they want to.
    All games are competitive around here - both the schools I work in enter all sorts of county competitions in football, cricket, touch rugby and netball.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    Bang on the money imo. All this "everyone is equal, and everyone is a winner" is just pure nonsense. That's not how the big bad world works, and it all ties in with the current attitude of expecting something/everything without actually putting the effort in;
    Using Sprogette-O-Vision which includes reasonable knowledge of ~1/3 of the class (mostly girls though): They're half-way through KS2 and for the last year or two housepoints, stickers & certs have had very little currency with them unless they're awarded for a proper achievment, including winning. If they're not doing it in outside-school clubs they create their own in play and they appear to cope just fine with competition... provided it's scrupulously fair, there's nothing too significant at stake, that "taking part" is genuinely a reward to them. I doubt this is unusual.

The 'culture' thing does chime with me. Not all, but Primaries around here do seem rubbish, apathetic, at taking part in inter-school anything, not just sport. That School Games postcode search I mentioned, has at best 25% of the quite large number of Primary schools within 10 miles of me registered (it will be worse because the search has a 100 results limit which the unregistered total hit). Secondaries with their dedicated staff have around 60% signed up. The irksome thing about the Primary scenario is that, should they be genuinely burried under real work, I'm sure most would find parents willing and capable of sorting out some of this stuff.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information