+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Giving Blood question... in General; I've decided to man up and give blood despite my hatred of needles, and my first appointment is a week ...

Thank Post

Giving Blood question...

I've decided to man up and give blood despite my hatred of needles, and my first appointment is a week Monday. I can't see anywhere in the info they sent me about driving, so does anyone know if it's ok/safe to drive after giving blood?

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 915 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have given blood on many occasions and I nearly always drive home afterwards.

Make sure you have a meal during the day before you donate [proper breakfast if your donation is in the morning, that sort of thing]

After the donation the attendants will ask you to sit for a while and have a drink and a small snack [biscuits or a packet of crisps: That sort of thing]

After that go on your way knowing that you have "done something amazing" [The NBTS advertising tag]

3. Thanks to DaveP from:

stevenlong1985 (4th August 2012)

Thank Post
    I agree with the have a meal before hand, I once skipped eating anything before giving blood and when dismounting the bed after donating a pint I managed to fall off the bed and landed on the floor. Having 4 Nurses picking me up and putting me back on the bed was quite embarrassing, as was the telling off I received from a formidable nurse old enough to be my mother who made it quite clear I was at fault!

My blood is used for premature babies, and frankly, it's pretty cool

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    I used to give blood a s a student. It saved a lot of money on beer that evening.

Thank Post
    Last time I gave I passed out. So, I'd say, if you feel nervous about it get somebody else to drive just in case.

Thank Post
    I'm a bit squemish so tend to feel a little dodgy during and after the blood donation. Certainly worth getting someone to pick you up the first time then you'll know what to do for the next time.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by samba_man View Post
    I'm a bit squemish so tend to feel a little dodgy during and after the blood donation. Certainly worth getting someone to pick you up the first time then you'll know what to do for the next time.
    That sounds sensible - though its never bothered me personally.

Thank Post
    Thanks guys, think I may play it safe and as the wife to play taxi!

Quote Originally Posted by jstuttard View Post
    My blood is used for premature babies, and frankly, it's pretty cool
    You can actually find out where your blood is used? That's rather cool!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,573 Times in 1,789 Posts
    Well done for going - I am needle-phobic too and cannot quite summon up the courage at the moment. I did manage it once and when I asked where the blood was going the answer was- everywhere!! I have O neg blood which is the one you can give to anyone

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Needlephobic myself and thus don't give blood, but I have family members who do and they always drive there and back. Perfectly safe, they don't take enough to cause any serious issues with your ability to drive.

Thank Post
    I donate every 4 months atm - for your first time I'd definitely get a lift. It does affect different people in different ways. I'm usually fine to drive, but my wife is usually a bit groggy after her draining...

Well done chap...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Netman View Post
    I donate every 4 months atm...
    The permitted frequency of donations for men has been adjusted so that you can donate more often now [about once every three months on average]

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    The permitted frequency of donations for men has been adjusted so that you can donate more often now [about once every three months on average]
    Yer I know thanks - will be stepping it up after my next donation.
    @witch - O neg here too - you're quite right about it being universal, hence why it is useful in emergencies when there is no time to cross-match a patient (apparently this happens with babies sometimes). The downside for us is we can only have O neg blood, and we're only 7% of the population! Interestingly I'm sure I read somewhere that with platelets the situation is reversed and we can have any group, but ours is only useful to others with O Neg...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Netman View Post
    @witch - O neg here too...
    I am O Positive.

Could we attach a poll to this thread to see what Edugeek's blood group distribution is or is the thread too old to attach a poll now?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,559 Times in 1,065 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    Problem is that round where I am, they're still only hosting the sessions every 4 months so no new schedule for me.

Donating is normally fine but to be honest - it depends entirely on who you are. One of my friends almost passed out completely after donating once and had to lie down on a bed for half an hour, whereas I normally throw a pint out in around 4 minutes and am up and off and fine. You'll only know after you've done it so probably best to play it safe this one time.

They strongly encourage you to drink a pint of squash while you wait to donate as well, and while you're on the bed keep clenching your bottom (srsly) as it helps keep the blood flowing. You'll get pins and needles down the arm you're donating from but that's normal while you're donating, although let someone know if it's still problematic afterwards. Everyone there is a nurse, even the person on tea 'n' snacks duty so just ask someone, they'll look after yer

O positive here, I'm common as muck so I'm alright if I'm ever in an accident my wife is AB- though so they love seeing her in.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast