+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
General Chat Thread, Giving Blood question... in General; Originally Posted by Rawns Give Blood - do something amazing give Blood All the info you need. It kicks me ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    It kicks me out here...

Question 24
    Have you been outside the UK (including business) in the last 12 months?
    So I cant give blood here coz ive lived in the UK and I cant give blood in the UK cos Ive not been in the UK.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    It kicks me out here...

So I cant give blood here coz ive lived in the UK and I cant give blood in the UK cos Ive not been in the UK.
    Can I give blood?

Travel abroad

Please wait 6 months after returning from a malarial area before giving blood. Please also tell us if you have visited Central/South America at any time. (Those who've had Malaria, or an undiagnosed illness associated with travel, may not however be able to give blood.)

If you are unsure please call our 24 hour donor helpline on 0300 123 23 23.
    Unless you've been to somewhere listed there, may be worth ringing to get conformation if you can/can't donate?
    Last edited by Rawns; 12th September 2012 at 10:41 AM.

3. Thanks to Rawns from:

RabbieBurns (12th September 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Okay cool, dont think we have malairia here

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Netman View Post
    Yer I know thanks - will be stepping it up after my next donation.
    @witch - O neg here too - you're quite right about it being universal, hence why it is useful in emergencies when there is no time to cross-match a patient (apparently this happens with babies sometimes). The downside for us is we can only have O neg blood, and we're only 7% of the population! Interestingly I'm sure I read somewhere that with platelets the situation is reversed and we can have any group, but ours is only useful to others with O Neg...
    @Netman not sure what you are saying about O Neg and Platelets is correct - I've been a platelet donor (and am O Neg) for about 5 years now and not heard that, but will certainly ask next time I'm there!

Give Blood - Blood Group Basics is a good source of information on blood

Dave

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I give blood everyday - I work in IT in education....

NDW

Thank Post
    I have recently signed up to give platelets.. Had a call yesterday and I now have an appointment on the 30th.... :S bit worried now to be honest - anybody know what it’s like?

Thank Post
    I've been meaning to give blood for a while now.. Mrs. Garacesh has done it plenty and I've always figured it's something I probably ought to do. Does it matter if you don't know your blood type? Do you have to be sent for a bunch of tests first to find out if your blood is okay? (no drugs, STI's, etc) or do they just take a pint(ish) as if you were giving normally and then test that? And can you pick your own appointment time so you don't have to take a day off work?

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,300 Times in 890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Garacesh View Post
    I've been meaning to give blood for a while now.. Mrs. Garacesh has done it plenty and I've always figured it's something I probably ought to do. Does it matter if you don't know your blood type? Do you have to be sent for a bunch of tests first to find out if your blood is okay? (no drugs, STI's, etc) or do they just take a pint(ish) as if you were giving normally and then test that? And can you pick your own appointment time so you don't have to take a day off work?
    Doesn't matter if you don't know your blood group.
    If you are fit enough on the day you can donate. During the donation they take samples for testing later.
    On your first donation you will normally give a full donation.
    If you want to make an appointment You can pick your time [within reason]

Thank Post
    Nope. They tell you. Was my (successful) first time yesterday. You have to fill out a form with a number of health questions, then they prick your finger and take a drop of blood to drop into a solution. If it sinks, it means your iron count is fine and you can donate. They took a (almost) full pint from me and drew a little extra off to test for infections, viruses etc. They also use it to find your blood type. Apparently I'll receive my doner card in the post and it will tell me my blood group.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NDW View Post
    I have recently signed up to give platelets.. Had a call yesterday and I now have an appointment on the 30th.... :S bit worried now to be honest - anybody know what it’s like?
    I give platelets every 4 weeks and if I am honest prefer it to giving whole blood. The process is the same with some minor differences:
    You are sat up while donating
    The blood is removed, goes through the machine and you get most back (except the platelets)
    Because you loose very little whole blood (about 100ml I believe) you are less likely to feel light headed/faint after donating
    You can feel the machine return blood to you, but it is not painful/unpleasant or anything like that
    You get drinks & snacks brought to you while donating
    It can take a while (30-90 minutes per donation depending on individual)
    Take something to entertain you which you can do with one hand (reading a book can be difficult!)

12. Thanks to Ergo from:

NDW (12th September 2012)

NDW

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ergo View Post
    I give platelets every 4 weeks and if I am honest prefer it to giving whole blood. The process is the same with some minor differences:
    You are sat up while donating
    The blood is removed, goes through the machine and you get most back (except the platelets)
    Because you loose very little whole blood (about 100ml I believe) you are less likely to feel light headed/faint after donating
    You can feel the machine return blood to you, but it is not painful/unpleasant or anything like that
    You get drinks & snacks brought to you while donating
    It can take a while (30-90 minutes per donation depending on individual)
    Take something to entertain you which you can do with one hand (reading a book can be difficult!)
    Thanks, think i will read a book on my galaxy note... im quite looking forward to it
    Last edited by NDW; 12th September 2012 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Typo ;)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ergo View Post
    .... I am a terrible, terrible person xD

Hmm, I will certainly look into giving blood then, if I can schedule getting home from work, eating, then making it to wherever it is I need to go. Unless you're able to give blood on Weekends.. I shall consult the website when I get home later to get more info.

Thank Post
    As far as I'm aware they don't do week-ends.

An enlightened employer would allow you time to go and donate. Some big companies invite the team to visit them!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123