+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Giving Blood question... in General; I tried to give blood here but they wouldnt accept it. BSE epidemic in the UK rules me out...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I tried to give blood here but they wouldnt accept it. BSE epidemic in the UK rules me out

Thank Post
    The last time I gave blood was about 15 years ago. My arm was in agony several minutes after doing it and it came up in an epic bruise from my wrist all the way to under my arm a day later. Couldn't move it for about at week. Reading about it online they do sometimes say it can damage the arteries around where they take the blood which causes the bruising.

Suffice to say I haven't been back since!

I realise it was probably just bad luck on my part and that giving blood is a great thing to do but I just can't risk being off work for a week if it was to happen again.
    Last edited by flyinghaggis; 3rd August 2012 at 10:37 AM.

Thank Post
    Defo 2nd the advice re getting someone else to drive the first time as you have no idea how you'll feel.

But it tis only a pint which does no harm. I hate needles so just look away as they do and try not to cry :P

The nurses are great and won't let you leave until you've drank and eaten enough when it is your first time.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,311 Times in 1,624 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Netman View Post
    O neg here too - you're quite right about it being universal, hence why it is useful in emergencies when there is no time to cross-match a patient (apparently this happens with babies sometimes). The downside for us is we can only have O neg blood, and we're only 7% of the population!.
    Not too much of a downside for me as my husband and all three children, and my sister are O neg so hopefully I will always have someone fairly near to get blood from!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinghaggis View Post
    The last time I gave blood was about 15 years ago. My arm was in agony several minutes after doing it and it came up in an epic bruise from my wrist all the way to under my arm a day later. Couldn't move it for about at week. Reading about it online they do sometimes say it can damage the arteries around where they take the blood which causes the bruising.

Suffice to say I haven't been back since!

I realise it was probably just bad luck on my part and that giving blood is a great thing to do but I just can't risk being off work for a week if it was to happen again.
    Yeah - thats just poor technique by the nurse - having had more needles/canulas/arterial lines than I care to think about over the last year - its clear that some people just have "the knack" and others definitely do not. Its no fun if you get the local "stabber", but odds are you'll get a better experience next time.

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 866 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have just driven home from making my 57th donation. Took all of the precautions indicated in earlier posts and had no problems. My attendant told me [with a smile] that I was bled in 4 minutes 25 seconds [hoorah!]

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    They tend to be very careful with first time donors so allow loads of time. Otherwise really good advice in this thread. I am now on about 30 pints...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,407 Posts
    I know it's an old chesnut but it's not a pint.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,869 Times in 1,387 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have given 3 times a year since the age of 17 (total of 9 years...26 times total, I got my silver award back in February, next one is in October). My sister-in-law and I make a ritual out of it as we go in the evenings.

We do it on a Saturday, so we get a full english in the morning, replacing hash browns and fried bread with extra sausages/bacon. We do some shopping, spend time with my daughter and hers, get a subway lunch - I usually get Spicy Italian BMT with salad etc, then we go and watch a film, play some pool, bowling etc, give blood around 6pm, then go to the local steak house and get a 16oz steak (cooked to order) with a side of chips and peppercorn sauce and pudding of choice.

It is our treat for giving blood and something we have done for the past 5 years together. Perhaps coming up with a ritual will help put you at ease with the needles etc.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Men can donate 4 times a year now

Ben

Thank Post
    I'm near 50 donations now, having taken years to "get around to it". I'll second/third/whatever the advice to get a lift first time around. Don't rush it, nice chat with the nurses and a cup of tea/coffee afterwards. Go for the hot drink; it slows you down!

It really is easy to make a real difference to someone's life; I commend it to you all!

Thank Post
    Well, I had my second attempt yesterday and it was a success. Apparently my middle veins are still hidden so they had to pick a side vein which are more likely to move. After having 3 nurses check my arms for about 5 minutes, they finally gave it a go and got the required pint(ish). However when they sat me up, I did almost pass out with major light headedness. They say it's usually likely to happen the first time, but after 10 minutes of lying down, I was fine again. Disappointed though as they were packing up when I was ready for a drink, and they only had squash. Could have murdered a brew!!! It's a nice feeling though, knowing you may have helped save someones life.

Thank Post
    I donate 4 times a year. Although I have had to take a break due to getting another tattoo

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    I tried to give blood here but they wouldnt accept it. BSE epidemic in the UK rules me out
    Im gonna be in the UK for a couple of days soon ... how can I find out about giving blood please?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    Im gonna be in the UK for a couple of days soon ... how can I find out about giving blood please?
    Give Blood - do something amazing give Blood

All the info you need.

16. Thanks to Rawns from:

RabbieBurns (12th September 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast