+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, New Headphones for my Computer - Any Recommendations in General; I've been using my iphone headphones with my PC for the last year but I'm keen to get something with ...
    Thank Post

New Headphones for my Computer - Any Recommendations

I've been using my iphone headphones with my PC for the last year but I'm keen to get something with better sound quality and preferably a built in mic. I'll primarily be using them for watching videos, listening to music and occassionaly for gaming.

I've had a look through the options but I've come away feeling bemused by what's avaiable :-

Should I get 3.5mm, USB or do away with the cables and go wireless?
    Do I go for stereo or should I consider 5.1?
    I often wear glasses when I'm at my computer so any headphones I get would need to be comfortable whilst wearing them.

I'd been contemplating these as they seemed reasonably priced and the review were good (though I'll confess I know nothing about audio quality/definition/etc!)

Creative HS800 Fatal1ty Gaming Headset with Detachable Noise-Cancelling Microphone: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Any other suggestions or recommendations?
    Last edited by flyinghaggis; 1st August 2012 at 01:51 PM.

Thank Post
    Not sure what they are like but through FB found these : https://www.facebook.com/astrogaming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwaj...layer_embedded

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    280! .......Easy now!!!

I'd maybe go up to 50-75 for a set if someone recommended them and reckoned they were worth the money but I definitely don't want to spend any more than that !
    Last edited by flyinghaggis; 1st August 2012 at 02:03 PM.

4. Thanks to flyinghaggis from:

mac_shinobi (1st August 2012)

Thank Post
    Sorry - Didn't see any price range mentioned so didn't bother checking, a lot of good reviews on that headset even though it is expensive now you mention it, they do A40 or lower models

Thank Post
    I bought a set of these - Sound Blaster Tactic3D Sigma Pro Gaming Headset | Creative Store (UK)

They sound decent and are very comfortable. The microphone is a bit of a let down though. The main reason for getting them though is that they come with a separate little USB soundcard so I could also use them with my stupid work laptop that doesn't have separate headphone/mic sockets.

Of course, you are currently using the earphones that came with your iPhone so something like this will probably sound infintely better:

7. 2 Thanks to Ric_:

flyinghaggis (1st August 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,785 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd say look at the Tritton AX 180 headset. I have a pair at home and they're excellent. 'Surround' headphones are not worth the money - you can get just as good effects with software.

I think Argos are the cheapest for them at the moment too! Buy Tritton AX 180 Universal Gaming Headset at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Xbox 360 headsets, PS3 headsets, Xbox 360 accessories, PS3 accessories, Xbox 360 accessories, PS3 accessories, PS3 accessories, Xbox 360 accessories, PS3 accessories, X

Thing to look at with gaming headsets is durability. That mic on the one you linked looks flimsy and as such likely to break quite quickly from normal use.
    Last edited by localzuk; 1st August 2012 at 02:10 PM.

9. 2 Thanks to localzuk:

flyinghaggis (1st August 2012), mac_shinobi (1st August 2012)

Thank Post
    I currently have a headset and a set of headphones, one for gaming and one for music.. though I tend to use the gaming one on most occasions.

Gaming: Steelseries Siberia V2
    Music: Beyer Dynamic DT770 Pro (bit out of the price range)

I'm quite impressed with the audio quality on the Steelseries headset, I got it primarily because I was sick of using an Xbox 360 Wireless Microphone on Skype / Vent etc when playing games, but I've found myself using it for music more and more lately.

The Beyer are absolutely amazing though, got them from a friend in the states a year or two ago and I still keep them to hand. Sound quality is the best I've heard, and they do noise cancelling really well. Wouldn't advise playing Alan Wake with these monsters on though, made that mistake once and could hear people running around on the floor above in an abandoned barn.. took me 10 minutes of checking each corner for anyone hiding before I moved on.

11. Thanks to DMcGuigan from:

OB1

Thank Post
    Bought a friend of mine the predecessors to these for his birthday. He likes them. There's a USB version called the Vengeance 1500 too. Never used them myself, but I can say his name from two feet away when he's got them on and he won't even flinch.

13. Thanks to OB1 from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OB1 View Post
    Bought a friend of mine the predecessors to these for his birthday. He likes them. There's a USB version called the Vengeance 1500 too. Never used them myself, but I can say his name from two feet away when he's got them on and he won't even flinch.
    Heard some pretty good stuff about Vengeance headsets, I know a few people who use them and they all seem to really like them. May pick some up myself should the Siberia ever go kaput.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I recently bought Philips SHP 5401. Quite a reasonable 28ish.
    They're open-backed and very comfortable.

16. Thanks to jinnantonnixx from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcGuigan View Post
    Heard some pretty good stuff about Vengeance headsets, I know a few people who use them and they all seem to really like them. May pick some up myself should the Siberia ever go kaput.
    Got the Vengeance 1500 myself after my last set snapped on the headrest bit. Very good headset and 7.1 surround sounds works great. Do install the software from Corsair website as it improves them a lot. Shame there isn't a clip on the wire as its very long and tends to get in my way a little. Also the in line volume control is easy to mute the mic and does get hot. But would recommend for comfort and sound!

18. 2 Thanks to robyholmes:

DMcGuigan (1st August 2012), flyinghaggis (1st August 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    My daughter recently bought a pair of JVC headphones from Tesco

Buy JVC HA-S600 Over-ear headphones - White from our Overhead Headphones range - Tesco.com

20. Thanks to speckytecky from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 932 Posts
    Blog Entries
    These Speedlink 5.1 phones are very good. I spend most of my day with these on. They also do a great job for listening to DVD/Blu-Ray's in 5.1, and yes, you do get a seperate input line for each channel. You can now pick them up from Amazon for 46: Speedlink SL-8793-SBK-02 Medusa NX 5.1 Surround Gaming Headset: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

New Headphones for my Computer - Any Recommendations-sl-8793-sbk-02.jpg
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 1st August 2012 at 07:13 PM.

22. Thanks to Dos_Box from:

Thank Post
    How would the folks with the 5.1/7.1 surround headsets rate them. Is there a noticeable difference in games/movies above and beyond standard 2 channel stereo?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinghaggis View Post
    How would the folks with the 5.1/7.1 surround headsets rate them. Is there a noticeable difference in games/movies above and beyond standard 2 channel stereo?
    I would rate them well depend on the headset. I've had 5.1>2>7.1, the first set been 5.1 didn't really notice a difference, so when they broke got simple stereo set. Then got these Corsair ones which go up to 7.1 (You can adjust it in software) and you can tell its working when in games. Really helps in 1V1 on COD4 (And I need help). Does depend on lot on how you much spend, if you getting surround sound you need more money to get 5 good speakers than you would with two good ones, so be prepared to spend money on them for surround sound.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast