+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
General Chat Thread, Geek challenge in General; Originally Posted by sparkeh I lost interest and dropped it, guess I'm not a suitable candidate Your not the only ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    I lost interest and dropped it, guess I'm not a suitable candidate
    Your not the only one, it's more a bit of fun then anything. I did it in C#, which lets face it, isn't gonna get you a job at a linux based company. It was more the fact I did it more then anything.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    Your not the only one, it's more a bit of fun then anything. I did it in C#, which lets face it, isn't gonna get you a job at a linux based company. It was more the fact I did it more then anything.
    I was expecting a PowerShell script from @Ric_ again it was just the fun of doing it nothing serious.

Thank Post
    I think it could be a good problem to solve with RaspBerry Pi, first lesson could be waste with them trying to scope the problem, second lesson, break out the Pi and solve it in python. Would mean @DosBox would need to delete this topic.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    the suggestion would seem to be that they are looking for a single line of code.
    Blast, I can only get it down to 4 lines with Python.

5. Thanks to dhicks from:

matt40k (1st August 2012)

Thank Post
    Knew you would get it! Now make it into a lesson and get it in the classroom!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Blast, I can only get it down to 4 lines with Python.
    Back in the old 8bit days one of the CPC magazines (Amstrad Action - I think) used to run a feature called one-liners. The idea was this - you could fit as many instructions on one line as you liked so long as each instruction was separated with a semi-colon. However the CPC only allowed 256 characters (I think it was) in one line of BASIC. So the challenge was to see how many instructions, and how complicated a program, you could create in those 256 characters.

Entire arcade games where written in BASIC/Machine Code that fitted within the 1 line character limits.

Thank Post
    Knew you would get it! Now make it into a lesson and get it in the classroom!
    Actually, I think we're planning a LOGO-alike Python library for use with Raspberry Pi based "Mars explorer" robots. We can start the pupils off with some simple LOGO commands, then move on to event-driven LOGO, then they can get to the stage where they can re-implement the underlying Python library to drive the robot's motors if they wish. My plan is to create an emulator first, designed so pupils can see their robot trundling around the surface of Mars, then they can use their exact same code on a physical robot (which is always instructive, as finely-crafted navigation algorythms meet real-world mesurement uncertanties). My problem at the moment is getting the Raspberry Pi working and hooked up to some motors - mine doesn't seem to want to boot at the moment due to power issues, I think it either arrived broken or I've tried plugging too many random USB devices in already.

9. Thanks to dhicks from:

AMLightfoot (1st August 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Actually, I think we're planning a LOGO-alike Python library for use with Raspberry Pi based "Mars explorer" robots. We can start the pupils off with some simple LOGO commands, then move on to event-driven LOGO, then they can get to the stage where they can re-implement the underlying Python library to drive the robot's motors if they wish. My plan is to create an emulator first, designed so pupils can see their robot trundling around the surface of Mars, then they can use their exact same code on a physical robot (which is always instructive, as finely-crafted navigation algorythms meet real-world mesurement uncertanties). My problem at the moment is getting the Raspberry Pi working and hooked up to some motors - mine doesn't seem to want to boot at the moment due to power issues, I think it either arrived broken or I've tried plugging too many random USB devices in already.
    Wow! That sounds really exciting! I wonder what the chances are of linking the output from the emulator into the Google Mars project and 'see' the progress of the 'rover'. Or perhaps the Google Moon project?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonD View Post
    They couldn't solve it either, google calculator TSK!
    the taunting honestly helped....honestly...

Thank Post
    HA! Got it! Just using AutoIt (18 lines of code) too...
    Last edited by kearton; 1st August 2012 at 09:23 PM.

Thank Post
    I did it in C#
    Won't bother now but I was going to do that via WebClient() last night after reading @Michael's giveaway (surely?!?) comment about speed, except it was already well past bed-time.

Aside from scraping the HTML I was considering checking out whether the ID in the initial response might encode a timestamp+ correct answer i.e. whether I might be able to skip the initial request and just craft and post correct answers to a questions it hasn't actually asked me... I'm curious, if anyone's read the *.pl is that feasible?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123