+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Police in Leeds URGENT 999 Hunt to trace 3 year old girl in General; BBC is saying hoax as well now: BBC News - Bridlington 10-year-olds 'behind 999 call hoax' Which is obviously good ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Blog Entries
    BBC is saying hoax as well now: BBC News - Bridlington 10-year-olds 'behind 999 call hoax'

Which is obviously good news in that there's no 3 year old trapped with the corpse of her mother, but terrible news in that ten year olds - ten! - find this amusing.

Although saying that, James Bulger's killers were only ten, weren't they?

Country, going to the dogs, etc. etc. I blame the education system

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    OMG, I'd be mortified if they were my kids!

I dropped my phone at work and somehow dialled 999! I was riddled with guilt all day afterwards even though it lasted seconds!
    Last edited by Little-Miss; 31st July 2012 at 06:45 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    OMG, I'd be mortified if they were my kids!

I dropped my phone at work and somehow dialled 999! I was riddled with guilt all day afterwards even though it lasted seconds!
    When we first had our current IP phone system put in the company doing it were a bit crap. They did not put in a network access digit (eg 9 for an external number) for a start...

And we had extensions ranging 100-199 , our attendance officer complained that he could make internal calls, but no one could call him. Other users complained that when they dialed his extension 112 they got through to the emergency services!!! Installed by Professionals!!!!

Rob

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twin--turbo View Post
    When we first had our current IP phone system put in the company doing it were a bit crap. They did not put in a network access digit (eg 9 for an external number) for a start...

And we had extensions ranging 100-199 , our attendance officer complained that he could make internal calls, but no one could call him. Other users complained that when they dialed his extension 112 they got through to the emergency services!!! Installed by Professionals!!!!

Rob
    When I setup mine using FreePBX i forgot to setup a rule so that 999 and 112 went down the SIP trunks. It wasn't until somebody tried to do it that they realised it didn't work! Lesson learnt on that!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    BBC is saying hoax as well now: BBC News - Bridlington 10-year-olds 'behind 999 call hoax'

Which is obviously good news in that there's no 3 year old trapped with the corpse of her mother, but terrible news in that ten year olds - ten! - find this amusing.

Although saying that, James Bulger's killers were only ten, weren't they?

Country, going to the dogs, etc. etc. I blame the education system
    The problem is not education, the problem is the parents. Either they do not discipline their children properly, instill correct moral values on them, or have been hampered by the nanny state into having no power to discipline. There is a HUGE difference between giving a naughty child a smack on the hand or bum and beating them to within an inch of their lives and it is the inability or apathy of parents when disciplining their children that is the root cause of these issues. IMHO. The family unit has been so eroded by government intervention and societal change that moral values are no longer instilled in children. They think it's okay to put their hands in a dirty nappy, smear it on someone's face and yell 'Poo hands'. Their ineffectual or indulgent parents stand by and laugh whilst their child run riot then wonder why they can't control them at home. Partly because there is a morbid fear of social services being called if you dare to give a screaming bratty child a smack on the hand or bum. 'Don't hit Mummy, that's not nice' is about as effectual against a kicking, screaming 5yo as a fart is in a tornado!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewL View Post
    If the call is made by mobile Cable & Wireless handle this and the phone co-ordinates are passed through the system to trace the call. Not all emergency services have the facility to see where the call was made from
    The other issue is that 999 calls from a mobile are not necessarily handled by the local control room. Had the call been made from a landline the hoax would be obvious as it would have been taken by Humberside police and clearly not have come from Leeds.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by twin--turbo View Post
    Should be forced to do comunity service for a year, totally irresponsible and cruel.
    They're ten. I'm pretty glad you aren't in charge of this sort of thing if you think a years community service is an apt punishment for a ten year old child.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sdrawkcab View Post
    They're ten. I'm pretty glad you aren't in charge of this sort of thing if you think a years community service is an apt punishment for a ten year old child.
    Community service isn't always about picking up litter on motorways or clearing drug dens of needles. Community service can be about performing services for the elderly or getting involved in youth projects or local community projects which might be ideal work for a 10yo (obviously project dependant). I think Community service would be the IDEAL punishment as it would deprive them of their leisure time and force them to behave responsibly - I can't think of a more apt type of recompense for their actions. Although perhaps not a year - a time period more appropriate to their age and the severity of their actions. Perhaps if these children had something more purposeful to do with their time they might not have time for prank calls...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,411 Times in 1,695 Posts
    I think you are overreacting a bit - any intelligent 10 year old, when it is explained what they had done - would understand the seriousness of it - but at the time they just do stuff like this. They dont have any natural 'hang on a minute'-type feelings - they think it is funny and they just do it. Even more so if they are male (having had both boys and girls, I can say that boys are more likely to laugh at stuff that girls dont - they are short on empathy it seems and this applies to young men as well - so this is unusual as it is girls)
    10 year olds dont look ahead to consequences and they wouldnt understand, until told, what they had started. So yes, they do need to have it explained and then they need some sort of punishment.
    As for having something more purposeful to do? It's the school holidays - are children to be made to do things every minute of the day? Most children will carry out practical jokes but I dont think they really knew what they had done.
    I do think that children have been a bit de-sensitised by the things they have seen in films though which might make them more likely to use these sort of images
    Last edited by witch; 1st August 2012 at 03:52 PM.

Thank Post
    two 10 year old girls thinking prank calling 99 is funny.... part of me hopes that when they need 999 someone is busy wasting the police's time and no1 can help them....however that is mean so I think community service would be more ideal as punishment for their crime, I wouldn't jump to blaming parents straight away as kids can be kids.

As to how it wasn't traced I understand that the call was made on a mobile with only an emergency signal which bounces the call to and from the most available mast and it takes time to identify the number and thus the location.

Thank Post
    I think also there could be an element of peer pressure behind this ..... who knows - still they should be punished but there isnt a lot you can do to 10 year olds. I suppose a good talking to is in order to try and make them realise what they have done!

Thank Post
    I guess you'd have to hear it, but the bit I don't get is how, given the apparent length of the call in which lots must have been said, you might confuse a genuine three year old with a ten year old pretending to be a three year old. Think this might say more about adults these days than kids...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PiqueABoo View Post
    I guess you'd have to hear it, but the bit I don't get is how, given the apparent length of the call in which lots must have been said, you might confuse a genuine three year old with a ten year old pretending to be a three year old. Think this might say more about adults these days than kids...
    LOL That being said, I was 24 when I met LeBoyfriend and we met in World of Warcraft when we were both members of a raiding team and when he found out I was a 24yo woman he was surprised as he apparently thought I was a 'squeaky-voiced 15yo boy' from the way I sounded on teamspeak... So it can be hard to judge, and if they were putting on a falsetto voice or are genuinely squeaky it might be easy to believe the person is a 3yo. I am MORE surprised that in the 33 minute call they managed to maintain the illusion and maintain a cognitive level appropriate to a 3yo as it could be easy to slip up and say something that a 3yo wouldn't necessarily have the cognitive development to come up with.

So either they planned it, which makes it 10x worse, or they are genuinely stupid enough to pull it off. I'm amazed that if there were 2 of them, how come the operator didn't hear one of them laughing or giggling in the background? How do two 10yos manage to make a prank call last 33 minutes without one or other of them breaking down into giggles and blowing it? When I taught a year 7 class the girls were always giggling over something or being set off by innocent phrases such as 'magma that has cooled and gone hard is called...?' cue giggling and laughter 'tee hee... 'went hard'... giggle giggle'. Cue teacher sighs.

There is still something really fishy here...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12