+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, CV's in General; I'm thinking of applying for a new job at a school but they want a CV rather than an application ...
    Thank Post

CV's

I'm thinking of applying for a new job at a school but they want a CV rather than an application form.

Anyone got any good examples of CV's or where to find one?????

Any advice from anyone?

any help would be great.

cheers

Thank Post

Re: CV's

I'm afraid CV writing is an art you have to learn. There are plenty of templates out there on t'internet. Choose one that lists your education first (after personal details) if you are recently out of education, or list job experience if you have been out of education for 10 years or so.

Keep it to 2 pages.

You're rather lucky if you only have to hand in a CV. I get sick to death of having to re-write the same things in different application forms. Once you've finalised your CV, it only needs a bit of tweaking every few years to update it and Bob's your mother's brother.

Most importantly, do not tell any porkies on it!

Thank Post

Also learn that the plural of CV is CVs

As said... there is no defined structure but a rule of thumb is:
    * Personal Details (i.e. Name, address, telephone, email)
    * Work Experience
    * Education
    * Other skills

Always list most recent first and explain any gaps in employment.

You should also write a covering letter explaining your suitability for the post - refer to the job and person specs to make sure that everything is covered.

Thank Post

No fancy fonts
    2 pages

Personal Details
    Short paragraph on why you are cool using all the nice buzzwords
    Reliable, enthusiastic, team player etc...........
    Employment History
    Education
    Other skills.

As an employer, I will chuck any out that use fancy fonts etc without reading them.

Keep 'em plain and to the point.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries

Good quality paper printed with a decent printer is a tiny thing ... but looks more professional and can give extra brownie points.

Get someone to spell and grammar check as well ... more than one person if you can. A good CV can be completely ruined because of a silly error. Remember that a CV is not just something you have thrown together so dyslexia or typos are not acceptable reasons for mistakes.

When describing why you are good for the role include words that are related to the job description. They may be buzzwords, they may be layman's terms, but it shows an understand of how you fit into the scheme of things.

Never be scared to change your CV around for the job you are applying for. Always make sure you get a job description (or even a summary) before you send the CV in. There is no point putting a CV in that is not relevant.

If you do wish to stick with a standard 2 page CV that never changes from application to application then learn to write a good covering letter, ensuring you refer to your skills, experience and aptitudes that are relevant.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I tend to chuck out anything with a personal statement. I don't care if you say you're a team player and honest I'll get that from references and if you are great. The covering letter is a good idea though again only state things I wouldn't get from references or the interview. I look at a CV to see if you have stated relevant experience if so you'll get an interview I chuck out CVs with lots of colour to I don't see the point!

Okay so I'm harsh! But when you have 30 or 40 CVs for 1 role you need to whitle it down quickly!

Wes

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Go listen to this podcast http://www.manager-tools.com/2005/10...resume-stinks/ it tells you how to create resume but applies to cvs as well.

I am redoing mine at moment...

Russell

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook
    Get someone to spell and grammar check as well ... more than one person if you can. A good CV can be completely ruined because of a silly error. Remember that a CV is not just something you have thrown together so dyslexia or typos are not acceptable reasons for mistakes.
    This is vey true. Also as well as cheacking spellings its a second pair of eyes might spot something you missed out.

Thank Post

This topic couldnt have come at a better time as i've got to compose a CV by friday for applying for a placement year at uni (which they helpfully only told us had to be in for friday today *anger*).

Someone said to me once that you should get as many people as possible to read your CV and annotate it for things that should be ammended. Collaborative effort

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Joedetic
    Someone said to me once that you should get as many people as possible to read your CV and annotate it for things that should be ammended. Collaborative effort
    So post yours here and we'll all critique it

Thank Post

...and unless specified, don't send in a handwritten cv. I know it seems obvious, but I once had to comb through over 100 job applications, and the 10-15 that were handwritten (without a nicely printed, legible copy) went to the bottom of the pile.

Thank Post

@kearton...i'm yet to write it LOL.

Maybe when it's written i'll face the firing squad and post it up here.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,317 Times in 1,630 Posts

I used to be a recruitment headhunter for computing and engineering and as such went on all sorts of CV writing courses - I ended up quite good at it!
    This is how it goes:
    Personal details (can be in 2 columns across page to save space). Keep it brief.
    If you have outside interests that could help such as School governor or Scout leader - do put them in.
    Education (don't bother to list GCSEs - just put the number you have 'including Maths and English' )
    Training - particularly relevant stuff! If it is completely irrelevant - leave it out
    Employment history - most recent first. When you get back to irrelevant jobs (if you are that old!) just put in one line about them all, don't bother to list them.
    Dates on the left. Organisation on the right, underlined and Bold. Job title in Bold.
    I subscribe to changing the emphasis of your CV depending on the job you are going for. This is because a covering letter often gets separated from the CV and then your particular relevance for the job might be missed. As Grumbledook says, don't be afraid to use the buzzwords, particularly those that they have used in the job description!

And no, I don't think that getting lots and lots of people to read it is a good thing - except for grammar and spelling. Someone who is able to interrogate you about what you actually do is a good bet, as it is easy to forget to put things down or presume that it is obvious that you do something when it probably isn't.
    I prefer to see a CV written in the 3rd party (not "I did this and that" - but more "responsible for...") as I find it more professional and easier to read.

I don't think that a standard CV really works anymore - I believe that you need to tailor the CV to the job - without telling lies, of course. Try to find out a bit about the organisation you are applying to to see if anything you do is particularly relevant - for example, being a scout leader might help if the job is in a boy's school (this was actually the case for a friend of mine).
    Yes, I know there are girl scouts before anyone yells at me - most are still male though.
    Finally, do not do what a lot of engineering and computing types seem to do - put their CV in a table! It is hard to read and the lines are distracting.

Thank Post

I think the biggest problem with CVs is that there isn't a standard template to fit all situations. Some on here have stated they don't like recieving them with personal statements, some say use Bold and underlining. I've had different "experts" in the field of recruitment tell me completley different ways of constructing a CV.

You could be the best candidate for the job, but if someone in HR (or even your potential IT Manager) is having a bad day, your CV could be binned purely due to the Font you use.

I suppose that's why most employers stipulate application forms only.

Thank Post

I cant believe someone wouldnt already have a CV!

Im only 23 and Ive had one for 5+ years, obviously being updated all the time. Its a bit out of date now but 10 minutes on it and it would be up to scratch
    Once you have done one you can pretty much stick with it and just adapt it

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information